TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

TwoLea

Reaction score
VERY graphic video of the shooting taken from both inside and outside the residence is out there. I cannot caution you enough that viewer discretion is advised.

Chad Read Lubbock shooting and Kyle Carruth: What we know

Chad Read widow shares video footage as Lubbock shooting case heads to Texas AG

Mr. Read's current wife recorded part of the argument - then altercation - from inside a vehicle parked on the street. It's been reported that she appears so nonchalant because she didn't know that an actual rifle was used - she believed it was a stun gun or paintball gun. At the end of the video, you can hear her finally figure out what has just happened.

No charges have been filed (yet).

The videos are nightmare material and I wish I had not seen them.

It sounds like it was not Mr. Carruth's home...so I don't know if "castle doctrine" applies (and I do understand this is Texas.) And he fired TOWARD the house/castle.

It honestly appears premeditated to me/IMO. When Carruth comes out with the weapon and says something like, "I'm glad you're recording this!" And has time to shoot toward the ground first. After the first shot, Mr. Read should rightly be able and expected to defend himself (IMO). He was arguing and pointing fingers while threatening court - as opposed to threatening violence - until the gun was introduced to the situation.

Last edited:
Mmmmm............... Why did he go inside to get a gun? The man was there lawfully to pick up his son.
Good point. If he were afraid for his life, he could have gone inside, locked the front door and called 911.
Instead he brings out a weapon, almost challenging Chad Read to “keep it up”, knowing fully, he had the law behind him. Intent to kill, even when he had other options to diffuse the situation. IMO

The videos are nightmare material and I wish I had not seen them.

It sounds like it was not Mr. Carruth's home...so I don't know if "castle doctrine" applies (and I do understand this is Texas.) And he fired TOWARD the house/castle.

It honestly appears premeditated to me/IMO. When Carruth comes out with the weapon and says something like, "I'm glad you're recording this!" And has time to shoot toward the ground first. After the first shot, Mr. Read should rightly be able and expected to defend himself (IMO). He was arguing and pointing fingers while threatening court - as opposed to threatening violence - until the gun was introduced to the situation.
Brilliant! Carruth is goin’ down! IMO

I’m so confused- who took the video?? Who was the woman standing outside? And who was the person inside?? The two men were married to 2 of the 3 women involved? Sorry- trying to sort it out but struggling.

MOO but shame on the mother for playing games and using her son as a pawn. How convenient the son wasn't there, it's almost like it was planned. They knew his dad would be picking him up, they knew he would get upset when he was not there. There was every opportunity to deescalate the situation. He fell into their trap. This seems so premeditated. I feel awful that now this child could lose both parents. And for what? MOO

Not sure what exactly happened here. I think we need a little more context into the people involved to get a better idea of what exactly happened. I’d like to know more about this child custody dispute, and I think it would also be relevant if Kyle and Chad had any prior incidents of violence with each other. From the videos we do have, I think it’s fair to say bad decisions were made by both men here. I think Kyle’s decision to go inside to come back out with a rifle needlessly escalated the situation. Up to that point, I see no indication Chad had done anything violent or threatening besides saying he’d be sending people subpoenas. Chad, however, reacted badly in my opinion as well. His decision to advance on a man with a rifle who had already told him multiple times to leave the property AND then threaten to take Kyle’s gun and use it on him may have given Kyle a reason to believe his life was in danger. You can actually see Chad make a gesture as if he’s reaching for the gun just before Kyle fires the warning shot (also a TERRIBLE idea for Kyle to do that legally and tactically btw). One last observation: in the two videos out there of this incident, I noticed the amount of time between when Kyle gets thrown off the porch, turns around, and shoots Chad is noticeably different. In the video filmed from inside the house, it seems much more rapid and spontaneous. However, in the version filmed outside, there seems to be a moment where he takes aim, pauses, and then fires. Since it appears Chad did not move after shoving Kyle, I think it’s fair to say that if Kyle waited longer before shooting, he ought to have had more time to process Chad as no longer posing a threat. Not a lawyer though, so for all I know, my takes here could be complete bull.

Last edited:
back in the 2000s, my ex boyfriend was shot and killed under similar circumstances. he was at a house party, and he got into a loud, verbal argument with someone outside of the house. it was 4 am, and a neighbor came outside and told them to be quiet. the neighbor and my ex got in a physical fight, during which the neighbor went into his house and came back outside with a gun, and shot my ex in the back. the neighbor was never arrested, and a grand jury chose not to indict him, saying it was a case of self defense. (the neighbor was found liable for my ex’s death in a civil suit, however.)

in both cases, i feel like the right to claim self defense no longer applies when mid confrontation, the person left standing leaves the confrontation and returns with a deadly weapon. if you were so afraid for your life, why didn’t you stay inside and call the police???

IMO I think the guy tossed aside immediate danger and self defense when he went into the house and returned. There was ample opportunity to call for help. I don’t think this is the last of this case.

IMO I think the guy tossed aside immediate danger and self defense when he went into the house and returned. There was ample opportunity to call for help. I don’t think this is the last of this case.
It sounds like Kyle might have been acting within what is permitted under Texas law by coming outside with a gun. Not an expert by any means, but Texas is pretty notorious for its relatively lax laws when it comes to using firearms to protect property. Again though, I am NOT a lawyer or a policymaker, and it still doesn’t change the fact that doing that is tactically foolish as others have pointed out. Had Kyle gotten himself and his wife inside the house to call 911 only for Chad to kick the door down, then we’d be having a different conversation. I also do not like how Kyle fired a warning shot, and depending on which video you believe is more authentic, it looks like he had enough time to process Chad wasn’t a threat before firing the fatal shots.

back in the 2000s, my ex boyfriend was shot and killed under similar circumstances. he was at a house party, and he got into a loud, verbal argument with someone outside of the house. it was 4 am, and a neighbor came outside and told them to be quiet. the neighbor and my ex got in a physical fight, during which the neighbor went into his house and came back outside with a gun, and shot my ex in the back. the neighbor was never arrested, and a grand jury chose not to indict him, saying it was a case of self defense. (the neighbor was found liable for my ex’s death in a civil suit, however.)

in both cases, i feel like the right to claim self defense no longer applies when mid confrontation, the person left standing leaves the confrontation and returns with a deadly weapon. if you were so afraid for your life, why didn’t you stay inside and call the police???
First of all, I give my condolences, and I’m sorry for your loss. Don’t know the full story of what happened in your ex’s case, but it sounds like this neighbor got his ego bruised and wanted to use the gun to prove a point. Just me speculating mind you, but it sounds like egos were flaring up with this case as well. Very unfortunate.

The twitter thread below has both the front and the inside views which have not been edited, so beware. You can't see it from the front view, but from the inside view it looks like Kyle tried to take Chad's gun.

TX has very strong self defense laws, so this may be legal.

https://twitter.com/RyanChandler98/status/1463610314486919170?s=20

I haven't read this yet, but it has the affidavit from Jennifer Read

Chad Read’s widow releases video of deadly shooting; Carruth attorney makes case for self-defense

It sounds like Kyle might have been acting within what is permitted under Texas law by coming outside with a gun. Not an expert by any means, but Texas is pretty notorious for its relatively lax laws when it comes to using firearms to protect property. Again though, I am NOT a lawyer or a policymaker, and it still doesn’t change the fact that doing that is tactically foolish as others have pointed out. Had Kyle gotten himself and his wife inside the house to call 911 only for Chad to kick the door down, then we’d be having a different conversation. I also do not like how Kyle fired a warning shot, and depending on which video you believe is more authentic, it looks like he had enough time to process Chad wasn’t a threat before firing the fatal shots.

I don’t expect anything from the Texas AG and I read a statement from the wife’s lawyer that may as well been personally addressed to potential grand jurors.
I don’t know but way too many people are smelling something funky around this case. It may end up being an epic Dateline episode.

The woman was his second wife. He went to pick up his son as arranged but the son wasn't there. Guy with the gun is his ex wife's boyfriend who was still married to the judge. They are divorced now.
Do we know if the judge was inside the house at the time?
Do we know who owned that home where the shooting took place? Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back