TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by TwoLea, Nov 26, 2021.

1. MollyDDD

MollyDDD Well-Known Member

Well, when you know you have a weak case, no lawyer is above a** kissing. I

Flicka1, abr, worm and 2 others like this.

2. MollyDDD

If I’m not mistaken, when viewing that video that was posted on here a couple of days ago, the lawyer guy said that none of that matters. Not the words, or the posturing between the men prior to the shooting or even the fact that Kyle could have stayed in the house and called 911 to avoid any further conflict. What it comes down to is that window of time and distance when Kyle decided to pull the trigger twice. IMO

Jealoushe, Flicka1, BeckyF and 5 others like this.
  3. MollyDDD

And there’s always, what looks to be a door bell camera on the house too. IMO

Flicka1, Alderyn, worm and 2 others like this.
  4. MollyDDD

And to me, him firing that shot in the floor seemed more like anger than fear. He was peeved off because Chad wouldn’t listen to him. IMO

Flicka1, Hazelnutty, kimpage and 4 others like this.
  5. TrustedTracker5097

TrustedTracker5097 Well-Known Member

Or peeved that Chad reached for the gun. Not sure which is the reason.

6. worm

worm Well-Known Member

In most states I would guess this shot to be a crime. I don’t know how pointing and presenting a firearm is looked at there.

Flicka1, Marg from Oz and MollyDDD like this.
  7. MollyDDD

Sure! Kyle was intimidated by Chad’s bravado and that just made Kyle more furious. Ya can’t kill somebody just because you don’t like them, Kyle. He wasn’t in fear for his life, he wasn’t protecting himself or anyone else from Chad.
    He used his weapon merely as intimidation and when he discovered it didn’t intimidate Chad, he killed him! IMO

RaechelK, Alcina, GarAndTeed and 13 others like this.
  8. MollyDDD

Exacalackalacally! Mr.Read was a responsible father and would not be “packing heat” when he was planning on an outing with his children. Sure can’t say the same for Kyle, he had his weapon just ready waiting for an opportunity to use it. Heck, he didn’t even care if he shot someone inside the house when he aimed right at it. IMO

9. TrustedTracker5097

It’s something people don’t seem to understand. Guns aren’t magical talismans that ward off evil. Sure brandishing them may occasionally get somebody to change their behavior, but you’ll occasionally get that person who calls your bluff. Idk what was going through Chad’s head, but he was clearly angry or brave enough to advance on an armed person.

10. TrustedTracker5097

I wouldn’t say getting into fights with and threatening people who are armed is very responsible. As I said before, Chad is likely a victim here, but that doesn’t make him a morally pure individual. There needs to be a distinction there.

Flicka1 and Marg from Oz like this.
  11. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

12. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Flicka1, Marg from Oz and worm like this.
  13. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Agree. Texas indicts by a grand jury, and Texas also has their own version of the Castle Doctrine. At this time, I think it's a matter of wait and see -- especially since the record has been sealed.

The Castle Doctrine: Understanding Self-Defense in Texas

14. MollyDDD

No one is morally pure and I don’t know either of these two men personally. Chad did not go there looking for a fight. His being upset that his ex-wife failed to comply with a court order is justifiable, especially if she had interfered with visits in the past. And then Kyle coming out with a gun was just the icing on the cake! It’s odd really, Christina standing off to the side, video taping and not saying much. Almost feels like a set up. IMO

15. nightowl1975

nightowl1975 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that in order to claim self defense, the shooter would need justification for expecting the dead guy to leave when told to do so. The issue with expecting the dead guy to leave IMO is that he was there to pick up his kid. It’s not like he just randomly showed up for no reason and refused to leave. Then the shooter escalates the entire situation by going inside for a gun. Why? The dead guy had no weapon and had made no threats at that point.

I don’t know exactly how the murder vs manslaughter statutes read for Texas, but just from watching the video, it doesn’t feel like the shooter was entirely justified given the totality of circumstances.

LoveyG, kareylou, cvaldez1975 and 6 others like this.
  16. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Kindness Matters

This feels like murder to me

MOO

17. worm

worm Well-Known Member

2nd degree or manslaughter at the least. I’m hopeful that they get some prior communications from the couple to maybe see if this was planned or something. It just seems that if LE don’t pursue this, they are saying that weapons are welcome in any conflict as long as was is near home or their vehicle.

Hazelnutty, abr, MollyDDD and 4 others like this.
  18. TwoLea

TwoLea Well-Known Member

Yes and I believe the moment the shooter is smiling when they're centimeters apart is when he finally tells Mr. Read that his son isn't here / I don't have your son.

Mr. Read's body language is of a person waiting for someone.

Hazelnutty, cvaldez1975, abr and 4 others like this.
  19. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

CR knew his son wasn't there within the first 15 seconds of the video. Maybe even before that, since we aren't sure if we have the video from the start or if it's been edited.

Here's a link to the video so you can watch it

https://twitter.com/RyanChandler98/status/1463654744803713029?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

20. TrustedTracker5097

Do we have any solid proof of where the son was during this event other than what was said in the video? Just wondering.