TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by mocity, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

mocity, jaejae, MFH and 1 other person like this.
  2. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

Me too, margarita, me too. Us among many.

3. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

Regarding my post about the murder in Baytown solved by familial DNA in only two years, I would like to add an addendum for non-locals.

Baytown is kind of considered to be the red-headed step-child of Houston, with a population of approximately 76,ooo. (Please no offense meant to the Baytown community, my own mother and aunt are from Baytown.)

Baytown is putting y’all to shame, Houston. I am Houston born and raised, and pro police to a fault, but I have always heard for years “if you get yourself murdered, pray it’s not in Houston.”

What can I do, Mocity. Petitions? Phone calls? I think the time for patiently waiting has been done to death. Do y’all have a victim advocate acting on your behalf or an attorney?

margarita25 and windrower like this.
  4. Snoods

Snoods Well-Known Member

Double post

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  5. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

( Another cold case just solved with genetic phenotyping:

IA - IA - Michelle Martinko, 18, Cedar Rapids, 19 Dec 1979

—-

Love this post by LE VI Falcon500:

)

Betty P, Jim_M, Roselvr and 3 others like this.
  6. mocity

mocity Verified Insider

It seems absolutely crazy we cant get HPD to move faster on the genetic phenotyping. My family has offered to pay whatever fees are associated. In my opinion it seems like a perfect case to use it on. If anyone feels like contacting them and asking to push it forward please do! We are doing our best and believe it will happen at some point but so far it hasn't.

Jim_M, annemc2, Roselvr and 7 others like this.
  7. morf13

morf13 Ver. Insider Golden State Killer & Zodiac Killer

So surprised this is not solved yet! If you'd like addl exposure for the case to generate tips & leads, the offer is still there to have the case covered on my podcasts which reaches over 100,000 listeners a month

dotr, scadagirl28, Jim_M and 6 others like this.
  8. margarita25

What seems to be the delay?

Do you know which lab they are using, etc? Have they confirmed they ARE going to do this and explained what the delay is?

ETA: I’m recalling a quote from Leazenby in Abby’s and Libby’s case re: phenotyping iirc. lemme see if I can pull it.

Also is there a FB page for Cheryl and Andy, tia.

Jim_M, Rocky1 and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  9. morf13

morf13 Ver. Insider Golden State Killer & Zodiac Killer

It's no more than 3 months start to finish to do lab work on DNA, upload to GEDmatch, and do genetic genealogy. Then, they would get a direct sample from the suspect to verify the match, not sure why this is taking so long. The cost from start to finish is between $3500 & $7000

Betty P, Jim_M, Rocky1 and 2 others like this.
  10. thesensitivechild

thesensitivechild Well-Known Member

New to this case. Following. Let’s give this case that push it finally needs!!!

11. HTXfuerte

HTXfuerte Member

12. mocity

mocity Verified Insider

I agree on the DNA and understand the process. What we have been told is that they are following up "open leads" and there are alot of cold cases in Houston. Agree that is a LAME response but thats the one we are getting. There has been "some" movement in the last couple of months and the family is pushing.

Jim_M, annemc2, Roselvr and 4 others like this.
  13. tex124

tex124 New Member

" What we have been told is that they are following up "open leads" and there are alot of cold cases in Houston. Agree that is a LAME response but thats the one we are getting. There has been "some" movement in the last couple of months and the family is pushing. "

Yeah, well while they are following up all these unresolved leads from 28 years ago, other jurisdictions are using methods that work and getting results:

Suspect in Brutal Rapes of 9-Year-Old Girl and Woman in O.C. During Mid-1990s Arrested Through DNA Evidence: Sheriff

I doubt that Orange County has any less crime than Houston, but they seem to find the time and energy to look into a couple of solvable rapes from 20 years ago, while doing their daily crime-fighting. By the time HPD gets moving, the perpetrator in this case will be dead.

14. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

15. annemc2

annemc2 her name is Suzanne Marie Sevakis

Thanks so much for this! The Qman does some great research and write-ups. These were very interesting. Can't wait for the next one!

Jim_M, inmyhumbleopinion and jaejae like this.
  16. tex124

tex124 New Member

"I will share a recent blog entry about this case by a chap who I think is known as the Q man"

Yes, I found this independently (I have been following this guy-Gian Quasar-intermittently since he got involved in the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer case). There are other posts up there relating to this case. The one I found interesting was this one:

Establishing a serial killer . . .Kolchak Style

He makes a good argument for the fact that the guy was a serial killer who learned from his mistakes in leaving evidence and ensured that future victims would disappear. (Is it my imagination, or do a few of the women look kind of like Cheryl Henry?) Which is another reason why it's frustrating that HPD are sitting around following old clues instead of getting Parabon Nanolabs involved. They have some evidence. It would be great if they could use all the tools at their disposal to solve this case.

Come on HPD!

annemc2, Jim_M, TedMac and 2 others like this.
  17. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Good I think the offender was likely a serial one too and this of course is backed up by the DNA link to the rape case.

mocity and Jim_M like this.
  18. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

19. Kell1

Kell1 Verified law enforcement

Admittedly didnt read through 31 pages, I will say that from what I read, this case has that eerie "serial" feel to it.

Would have zero issues stating that this was neither his 1st or last crime, hopefully modern DNA technology catches up with this POS

mocity, dotr, Betty P and 1 other person like this.
  20. margarita25

@mocity, I have an idea for you (standby, pulling thread for reference)

ETA: Fabulous, just seeing this post that @dotr brought this over here, yay, thanks, dotr.

—-ETA2:

I see @mocity already saw my alert over there and responded, awesome!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    mocity, dotr and TedMac like this.