Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if it is deemed inadmissible...

What reason do you have to think his confession might be deemed inadmissible? Recanting won't automatically make it inadmissible, and the sheriff utilizing tools available to him (experienced interrogators) won't render it inadmissible either. Those are the two things I've seen brought up so far--is there something I'm missing? As I said before, there is no reason to believe his confession was coerced. He couldn't have been held beyond his will and interrogated for hours because we know he was staying home with the kids, he sure didn't look tortured, and like Paul I'm sure he was probably free to call a lawyer at any time. This just seems like a weird thing to be worrying about.

I think if my son/brother/uncle had murdered his wife, I'd stay as far away from the media as possible. They are relentless and ruthless.

Like everyone else in this case, except for SM, they are all victims. They have to be just as devastated that their loved one would do something like this. I would not be jumping in front of cameras and letting people know I'm related to (atm) the most hated man in Houston. Just a thought.

I have not seen any signs indicating that he plans to retract his confession?

He just got a lawyer today. We have only heard from LEO. It is part of the legal process. He plead not guilty I would think. So one of those wait and see. His PD has to do the best for client.

I think, to the best of my knowledge from the texts, that as far as Crystal knew SM didn't know about Paul or that he wasn't going on the cruise but Paul was as of the day before her death. I think SM may have suspected but got confirmation when/if he saw her ad on the jewelry store sign, and/or perhaps from an email regarding the cruise since they were departing a week from the night before she died. I think it all became clear to him Thursday and she was dead Friday.

:yeahthat: and if he thought that they were maybe working it out since she was living there. He just bought that home. All of it hitting the fan at once, Lots of big stuff happened within that family in a very short period of time.

Do you know if the Affidavit for the arrest or the court documents would be available yet? Those might shed more light on things.

I looked earlier. You know that the stuff I like to read. Detest media. They cant even read one and get it right. I will tru look again. Maybe you our our buddie Cannonball could do you magic ;) I go see if I can find anything.

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure says all SW are to be filed with the clerk within days unless they are sealed. They can be sealed up to 2- 30 days then they have to be filed..

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

TITLE 1. CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

CHAPTER 18. SEARCH WARRANTS

This article was amended by the 85th Legislature. Pending publication of the current statutes, see H.B. 3237 and H.B. 1727, 85th Legislature, Regular Session, for amendments affecting this section.

Art. 18.01. SEARCH WARRANT. (a) A "search warrant" is a written order, issued by a magistrate and directed to a peace officer, commanding him to search for any property or thing and to seize the same and bring it before such magistrate or commanding him to search for and photograph a child and to deliver to the magistrate any of the film exposed pursuant to the order.
(b) No search warrant shall issue for any purpose in this state unless sufficient facts are first presented to satisfy the issuing magistrate that probable cause does in fact exist for its issuance. A sworn affidavit setting forth substantial facts establishing probable cause shall be filed in every instance in which a search warrant is requested. Except as provided by Article 18.011, the affidavit is public information if executed, and the magistrate's clerk shall make a copy of the affidavit available for public inspection in the clerk's office during normal business hours.

Art. 18.011. SEALING OF AFFIDAVIT. (a) An attorney representing the state in the prosecution of felonies may request a district judge or the judge of an appellate court to seal an affidavit presented under Article 18.01(b). The judge may order the affidavit sealed if the attorney establishes a compelling state interest in that:
(1) public disclosure of the affidavit would jeopardize the safety of a victim, witness, or confidential informant or cause the destruction of evidence; or
(2) the affidavit contains information obtained from a court-ordered wiretap that has not expired at the time the attorney representing the state requests the sealing of the affidavit.
(b) An order sealing an affidavit under this section expires on the 31st day after the date on which the search warrant for which the affidavit was presented is executed. After an original order sealing an affidavit is issued under this article, an attorney representing the state in the prosecution of felonies may request, and a judge may grant, before the 31st day after the date on which the search warrant for which the affidavit was presented is executed, on a new finding of compelling state interest, one 30-day extension of the original order.
(c) On the expiration of an order issued under Subsection (b) and any extension, the affidavit must be unsealed.
(d) An order issued under this section may not:
(1) prohibit the disclosure of information relating to the contents of a search warrant, the return of a search warrant, or the inventory of property taken pursuant to a search warrant; or
(2) affect the right of a defendant to discover the contents of an affidavit.

Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 355 (S.B. 244), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2007.
This article was amended by the 85th Legislature. Pending publication of the current statutes, see H.B. 2931, 85th Legislature, Regular Session, for amendments affecting this section. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.18.htm

We’re way overdue for a new thread. Thread #4 is open for posting:

This thread will close in about 10 minutes.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member