TX - Daniel Kaufmann (47) shot, Georgette "Gigi" Kaufmann (50) shot/killed- El Paso 18 Nov. 2020

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by annemc2, Dec 21, 2020.

1. annemc2

annemc2 her name is Suzanne Marie Sevakis

A local resident told me about this the day after it happened. I've been watching the news and haven't seen any follow-ups at all. This occurred in a very established neighborhood that was prowled by a serial rapist in the past (who was caught and is currently serving a life sentence in prison). LE said soon afterward that there was no threat to the public. Was this a disgruntled "client" in the legal system? Or something more personal? Very strange case, especially with a prior seemingly-unrelated death at the home.

El Paso police detectives continue investigating a mysterious homicide that has shocked the historic Manhattan Heights neighborhood.

A lawyer was killed and her husband was hospitalized in a shooting at their home on Saturday night. There have been no reported arrests as of Thursday.

The shooting occurred the day after the couple's 22nd wedding anniversary.

The couple has a 16-year-old son who was at a fencing tournament in the Dallas area on the day of shooting, according to a news report on Channel 7-KVIA.

Georgette Kaufmann, also known as Georgette Garcia-Kaufmann, was an assistant attorney general with the Office of Attorney General Child Support Division in El Paso since 2013, Alejandro Garcia, a spokesman for the Texas Attorney General's Office, said in an email.
    Daniel Kaufmann was an assistant attorney general with the child support division from 2010-2014 and again from 2016 until May 2019, Garcia said.

Neighbors have expressed concerns about the deadly shooting, which is the second death at the couple's home on Copper Avenue in two years.

On Nov. 6, 2018, a man identified as Javier Tellez Jr., 28, bled to death after cutting his arms on a broken window while breaking into the house.

Mystery surrounds shooting of Kaufmann couple, Central El Paso lawyers

2. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

So is the husband alive? Could it have been a murder and attempted suicide? If there is no threat to the neighborhood...that sort of indicates this was a familial dispute?! Certainly he is able to give some information on what happened.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  3. annemc2

annemc2 her name is Suzanne Marie Sevakis

That's what would make the most sense, right? But I'm pretty much positive that Daniel was ruled out as a suspect almost immediately.

From an article published Dec 4, 2020:
    Police have yet to say whether the couple’s work as attorneys — Georgette with the Office of Attorney General Child Support Division, or Daniel –as a private practice Family Law Attorney had anything to do with the shooting.

The suspect is described as a white male, between 5’10” to 6’0″ in height with a thin build. He was possibly bald and was wearing dark clothing the day of the murder.

Murder of El Paso attorney remains unsolved, police search for clues | KTSM 9 News

4. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Sometimes I hate being cynical, but who gave the description? I really don't know how LE can confidently say there is no threat to the neighborhood.
    Sorry, but I'd be shaking in my boots!

5. BrownRice

BrownRice Well-Known Member

I’m always suspicious when the wife is shot by an intruder and the husband survives without extreme injuries.

6. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

I agree. She was killed in the backyard. I suspect that she saw the gun and ran out the back to get away. MOO

7. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Married Texas prosecutors shot in their home leaving wife dead and husband in critical condition | Daily Mail Online
    Georgette “Gigi” Kaufman, the victim who died after being shot in/at her home, was a public servant. She was with Texas Attorney General for 7 years. She worked at the Office of Attorney General Child Support Division in El Paso since 2013. Her husband, Daniel Kaufman, was also with this office until he went to the El Paso County Domestic Relations Office, handling child support enforcement cases in 2019. He was also in private practice handling divorce and child custody cases, among other issues.

Murder of El Paso attorney remains unsolved, police search for clues | KTSM 9 News

GiGi was shot several times and died. DK was treated at the hospital for gunshot wounds and later released.

This happened well over a month ago, and there have been few updates. This was the most recent article I could find:
    Crime of the Week: Police seek man who killed woman in Central El Paso

The nature of their profession could result in some very angry individuals who might be unhinged enough to seek revenge for a judgement that went against them. It is also curious that previously 2 years ago, an intruder tried to break into their home and bled to death on cut glass.

The current crime has a suspect description, and pleas from LE for the public to come forward with information. However, I am surprised there has been precious little further coverage on this case involving the murder of a State of Texas assistant attorney general. I have to think and hope there is much going on behind the scenes that is not privy to the public.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  8. modesty blaise

modesty blaise Well-Known Member

No ring doorbell cameras in this well heeled area??

Razz, annemc2 and Marg from Oz like this.
  9. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Son was at an overnight fencing competition in Dallas. The timing was convenient so not to have the son shot too or have him blamed unnecessarily.

10. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

Isn’t that always the case? I’m not saying that the husband did it but when people do kill their significant other it’s almost always when the kids are away from home. It seems like it’s part of the generic plan for murder.

11. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

The report said she sustained the wounds in her home’s garage and “the manner of death is homicide.”

“How often would somebody let somebody get that close to them in their garage?” asked Richard Garcia, a local gun expert and safety instructor. “They’re either unaware that there’s a person, maybe you’re not necessarily concerned that the person is there. There’s kind of things where maybe the person knew them or pretended to be a neighbor.”
    No suspects, no arrests in prominent El Paso attorney murder, law enforcement silent | KTSM 9 News

annemc2, Razz, TGIRecovered and 3 others like this.
  12. Frannie

Frannie Well-Known Member

She was shot five times, how many times was he shot? He was able to walk to a neighbor to have it looked after.... at the hospital, he was treated and released.... so typical. If I had just killed someone I would definitely not want to leave an eye witness behind.

This looks like a case that will fall between the cracks, soon forgotten. So very sad. I noticed in her obit that she had no siblings and her son is a young teenager so there doesn’t seem anybody to take up her cause.

Rest In Peace Gigi.

annemc2, Razz, TGIRecovered and 2 others like this.
  13. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This was the murder of a government official.....an assistant attorney general for the state of Texas. Her colleagues must be terrified, and I imagine clamoring for justice. If that is not the case, I would guess there is info her colleagues are privy to that we are not. No murder is ‘worse’ than another, all are heinous, but this is one that is certainly high profile. I trust that it will NOT be forgotten, and that IF there is some indication to LE that points them in the direction of a specific perp, they are doggedly pursuing the evidence that will allow an arrest and conviction of the responsible party.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    annemc2, Razz, TGIRecovered and 2 others like this.