TX - Deandre Washington, 10 mos, dies of abusive injuries, 12 March 2009

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Sporky, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sporky

Sporky The fork is mightier than the spoon.

A 12-year-old boy, who is accused of capital murder in the death of an 11-month-old baby, is sitting in a jail cell.

Investigators say the toddler suffered deadly blunt force trauma and that the sixth-grade student is responsible.

“It’s highly unusual for a 12-year-old to be charged with capital murder in Harris County, Texas,” said Assistant District Attorney Donna Hawkins.

The young suspect’s mother, Tawanna Scott, says authorities told her that her son had confessed to committing the crime. But she doesn't believe that he did.

more at link

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stor...year-old-capital-murder-toddler.f985b91d.html

2. Loading...

3. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

Also from that link (TY sporky):

Something stinks about this story. JMHO.

4. amandab

amandab Well-Known Member

Did I read that right? He is 12 years old, and was often left in charge of 9 (nine!) other siblings, all of whom are younger than him???

5. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

There is not a lot of information in that story so I am darned if I can determine WHAT might have really happened. Heartbreaking

6. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014879816

April 22, 2009 2:07 a.m. EST

Authorities aren't talking from what I can gather, and I still say this story is off somewhere, somehow, I just can't put my finger on it.

7. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

Unless it was an emergency, why would these mothers leave an 11 year old to watch the younger children. I think they should be charged with something.

8. Angels_Not_Forgotten

Angels_Not_Forgotten Anxiously Awaiting a WINNING NFL Season!

ok, she has previous problems with CPS, but yet, she still has 9 children? 10 counting him? aye yi yi....

9. I AM THE 14 CAR

I AM THE 14 CAR New Member

from the OPs link.....
    “My son says he never told the detective that. He said, ‘I never told him I threw no baby. Why would I throw a baby?'” she said. “They are trying to charge him with capital murder. If it was to come out that he did do it, I don’t believe he did it on purpose.”
    Bold mine.....HUH ? How do you not throw a baby on purpose ? And the articles says the townhome is empty but there used to be 2 women & alot of kids there and when she "arrived"......so does this mean that the child was at the sitters ? Im confused.

10. Lovejac

Lovejac These boys are my heartstrings!

Found some more info.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iscBPJrU2CD3fEmT2_e0ww8bq4xgD97NO8Q00

11. Lovejac

I am so confused! Too many conflicting stories!!

snipped

Was the mom at work, or did she go out with the other mother to get something to eat?

Was the mom there to hear the baby cry or was she out getting something to eat?

I pray to God that this 12 year old is not being set up. We definitely need some more info.

12. Lovejac

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Baby_Killed.html

Hinky Alert!!!

13. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

Thanks, LoveJac. I have too many questions to feel comfortable that the 12 year old is behind bars for this crime.....

14. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I wonder if the 4,5, and 7 year old were questioned. The eleven year old was way too young to be having to watch babies and toddlers. Now his life is ruined and of course there is a dead baby that should have been with an adult.

15. DairyGirl

DairyGirl New Member

A 12 year old child is in jail because of what a 4, 5 and 7 year old told police? How can they be credible witnesses? I think the mothers should be in jail instead of the boy for leaving him alone with all those kids. This is wrong.

16. Sporky

Link: http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090422_jj_12-year-old-charged.fec2307d.html

In a juvenile court hearing Wednesday, a judge determined that a 12-year-old boy accused of killing a 10-month-old baby would remain in custody.

The boy’s hearing lasted for about two hours, but it only took minutes for supporters to speak out on the boy’s behalf.

“Even though we can’t bring a child back, we can at least get the facts to where another child can be saved,” said the boy’s attorney, Ronald Gray

17. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

If this young man was already suspended from school because of fighting, it sounds like he may have some anger issues. Possibly from being left to take care of all those other children.

18. Sporky

Yes I would agree also with him having anger issues. The parent is either in denial or lying so that she wont be charged in this case.

19. zelmajane

zelmajane New Member

When can CPS start ordering IUDs? (Inter uterine devices)

I realize we cannot sterilize these people...

I know it isn't the answer.

Poor baby, and the poor child. I pray for the best outcome possible.

20. travelgal

travelgal New Member

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head!! This whole story stinks to high heaven!

Seems to me there should be some ADULTS going to prison and this child should be placed in an appropriate place where he can be treated (if that's even possible) for his behavior disorders. THEN transferred to prison when he is an adult. :eek::eek:

21. Lovejac