TX TX - Deanna Merryfield, 13, Killeen, 22 July 1990 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missie, I am glad to hear that Sgt. Davis has contacted you. I imagine it is possible that the UID Princess Doe is Deanna, but I understand that the chances are not necessarily high. I recall seeing that Princess Doe on the doe network, and I thought it was a possible match, but not to the point where I brought it up. The age is somewhat tricky(15-25), and no mention was made of a healed fracture of the lower arm. But, now we know this Princess did have a healed fracture, so I imagine it is possible that this is Deanna. Please keep us posted, and I am here for you in any way you need fro me to be, no matter the news.

According to the doe network, this Princess Doe's wisdom teeth were unerupted. Unless the wisdom teeth are impacted(dental x-rays should be able to determine this), they erupt between the ages of 17 and 21. So, I wonder if this princess Doe is not more likely in the 15 to 2 age range--unless her wisdom teeth were impacted, and the authorities didn't mention it. The healed fracture wasn't mentioned, so we don't know what else may not have been mentioned.

Best to you dear Missie:blowkiss:.

Lion

You are right Lion, they could be off on the age. Tim Horne said the M.E. is pretty convinced that she is about 20, but I doubt ever ME is perfect right? The other thing that threw me off is she had 3 cavities, which had been repaired. We know Deanna had one. Tim Horne didn't mention the state of the wisdom teeth, and I didn't think to ask if they were impacted.

Ah, if you are sure that Deanna had just one cavity, then this may help rule this out as Deanna. Chances are from July of 1990 to September of 1990 she didn't get more dental work. But, the good thing is that people are searching for matches.

Lion

Dear (edited out my real name),
I am sorry I am just now getting back to you, but I am working on the
story that you sent into the newsroom. I will be asking the police
questions tomorrow about the case.
However, I was wondering if you could talk to you sometime about your
sister and your search for her.
Thank you very much for providing so much infromation already.
You can call me at (edited). I should be in the office tomorrow
morning starting around 9 a.m. Feel free to call me, or if you want
you can drop me yourr number and I can call you.

Thank you for your time,
Mason W. Canales, Killeen Daily Herald police reporter.

That is an email I just recieved today!!! Thank you again LionRun for putting that letter together for me!!!!!!
:dance:

This sure is a roller coaster ride....
I just tried to call the reporter and it went to voice mail, but that's okay, I left my information.
The big blow: I just tried to call the NCMEC to get her listed. Since I didn't have custody of her at the time that she went missing, I can't do it. I have to get Sgt.Davis to do it. He's out of his office until July 9th. Even then I will be surprised if he does it. I have asked him previously to list her on the Texas Missing Person Clearinghouse ( I even sent him the link to the form to fill out) and he didn't do it. How am I supposed to get people to take this seriously if she isn't even listed in the NCMEC?! Ugh-I'm so upset right now I can't even think.:banghead:

I just tried to call the reporter and it went to voice mail, but that's okay, I left my information.
The big blow: I just tried to call the NCMEC to get her listed. Since I didn't have custody of her at the time that she went missing, I can't do it. I have to get Sgt.Davis to do it. He's out of his office until July 9th. Even then I will be surprised if he does it. I have asked him previously to list her on the Texas Missing Person Clearinghouse ( I even sent him the link to the form to fill out) and he didn't do it. How am I supposed to get people to take this seriously if she isn't even listed in the NCMEC?! Ugh-I'm so upset right now I can't even think.:banghead:

Hi Missie! I've been following your search for your sister over the last couple weeks - you are definitely brave and an amazing sister to dedicate your time and efforts to her search. I just had a thought - if Deanna was in your grandmother's custody (maybe??) when she went missing would it be possible to have your grandmother add her to the NCMEC? I know my grandmother is more than computer-illiterate and that would be a lot to ask, but is it worth a shot? Just an idea. Good luck on your quest, I'll keep watching your journey!

Thank you aj1020, I had the same thought about my grandma doing it. I don't think our grandmother had legal guardianship of Deanna at the time, and her health is getting worse so I think it would be hard for her to do this.
I'm so frustrated right now, but I think most of it is with other things and this was just the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back". I just got finished speaking to my husband, and he made a very good point. There is a reporter interested in her story now, so Killeen police dept. is going to have a lot more eyes on them. Sgt. Davis will probably be more inclined to get her in the NCMEC faster once her story is in the media.
I don't blame Sgt.Davis for this case moving so slowly. It was fumbled 17 years ago, and not just by Killeen PD, but by everyone involved.

Ah, if you are sure that Deanna had just one cavity, then this may help rule this out as Deanna. Chances are from July of 1990 to September of 1990 she didn't get more dental work. But, the good thing is that people are searching for matches.

Lion
Thank you Lion, I encourage everyone to keep searching for possible matches but keep in mind that she did only have one cavity. She had a beautiful smile.

Missie, you are welcome, and I am glad I could help. Perhaps if you email Sgt. Davis in a short, upbeat manner which includes the interest of the particular news media interested in Deanna's story he may get the info onto the site a bit faster, like you suggested. Perhaps if you send all info, like maybe a copy of her poster, which should have all he needs at his fingertips it may make it easier for him.

I understand the frustration you are feeling. It seems to be true that until now Deanna's case has been royally screwed up. But, with your efforts based on your love for Deanna and your dogged determination this can change. I hope and pray that Sgt. Davis can find the time to do what he needs to do and get Deanna up on that site.

Lion

I am definitely going to email Sgt. Davis with all the info and ask him to put her on their. I'm going to wait until it's closer to July 9th so it doesn't get lost in all of the emails he will have when he returns.

Great idea, Missie. Maybe you can give him 2 business days to respond and send a follow up email and phone him. In this case might be more inclined to push things. This is something that he should have done in the beginning. I know he is busy, but this is his job, and he may need a little push to do this very important thing. If he doesn't perhaps you can send a friendly email and/or phone call asking him him if there is a reason that Deanna's info is not up on the site yet. Maybe you can ask him if he is waiting for more info to be able to get her info up there. Does he have all of the info he needs? Perhaps you can ask if there is anything you can do on your part to help with the process, but since you were not Deanna's legal guardian you cannot do this without his help.

Lion

I have to get Sgt.Davis to do it. He's out of his office until July 9th. Even then I will be surprised if he does it. I have asked him previously to list her on the Texas Missing Person Clearinghouse ( I even sent him the link to the form to fill out) and he didn't do it.

Missie - I just want to add a little bit to Lion's good advice. Speaking as someone who deals with the public on a daily basis and someone who has a desk buried by paper, I would offer the following tips:

1. If it is possible - fill the form out for him, email it to him with the items you can not complete or are unsure about highlighted if possible. In your email, be brief, but just say -- "I have completed the form for you, however I do not have the information for Item 3, and if you could please verify the information in comments, I would appreciate it."

2. Add the email/link he need to send the form to. In fact, I would cc the form to the NCMEC, then direct Stg Davis to hit the "reply to all" button when he has completed the form and let him know it will go directly to NCMEC and he does not have to do anything else.
Cc'ing NCMEC would serve two purposes - it would let NCMEC know you are doing everything possible to get Deanna on the list and it lets them know that they should be expecting something from Kileen Texas. Depending on how they operate, someone there may do some follow up with Stg Davis on Deanna's behalf.

3. See if Stg Davis has an assistant/secretary/clerk. Sometimes this person is more able/willing to help. Never underestimate the power/willingness of a secretary to get things done! If you can make this person your friend, she/he can be of great help. (Of course there may be no such person and then, like now, you will end up being the one to hold Stg Davis' hand). :)

I am so happy to hear about the reporter. Hope all goes well with that and that they will publish near the anniversity date.

Remember - my prayers are with you!

Salem

Thank you guys for the great advice! I did speak with a clerk when I originally started contacting Sgt.Davis. I will see if she would be able to do this. I don't think NCMEC has a form you can fill out. Everything I have seen said you have to call them. I did send him the form to the Texas Missing Person Clearinghouse, but that is one you have to print out, fill it out and then snail mail it. I'm gonna keep looking into more options guys.
I truly appreciate every one's advice and wisdom-keep it coming,lol.

Thank you guys for the great advice! I did speak with a clerk when I originally started contacting Sgt.Davis. I will see if she would be able to do this. I don't think NCMEC has a form you can fill out. Everything I have seen said you have to call them. I did send him the form to the Texas Missing Person Clearinghouse, but that is one you have to print out, fill it out and then snail mail it. I'm gonna keep looking into more options guys.

Missie send a PM to YannettePR, she is the SIL of Rose Cole..she has just gone through all of this, getting #'s so we could start getting Rose listed places...I am sure she can and will help you with any quesitons about procedures etc on getting listed. Rose's Forum

Also, what state are you in again? TX right? You can PM me your location more spefically if you would like me to look into this......let's see if we can get you hooked up with an advocate group for the missing (Like Project Jason for NE or Lighting The Way Home ;) in GA) Or have you done this? If you haven't I suggest we do this and they can also support you in your search for D.

Hi Missie Mt-
I too, admire all that you are doing for your sister, esp. in the midst of buying your first home and moving!! Congrats!

I wanted to let you know that i am almost 100 % sure that YOU can get Deanna listed on the TX MPCH!! They have so many MP in the state and do not put all of them on the site. But if requested to, by family or by LE, they usually will. Call them and have all the info. ready, tell them where you are w/ Sgt. Davis, so that they know that LE is actively involved , CURRENTLY. They will likely need the NCIC # for her case from Davis. Then if they have other questions, THEY can call him. So he will be rcv'g. a phone call from TX MPCH's analysts, not "just" you as a worried family member. No offense intended, I just mean that hopefully he would take it to the lengths he needs to if he has to answer to them as well, not "just" you. They are great, dedicated ladies there, and are in the midst of acquiring more staff, to ease the heavy burdens they all carry...I was visualizing Salem, whoever she is, and her desk filled w/ papers!:crazy:

What a huge issue (and embarrassment) our MP and UID system is in this country, at times! Everyone I know in this field is such a hard worker, but has too much to keep up! Over 70,000, yes, SEVENTY thousand MP in just TX alone (not sure if that was for year '06, or '05).

my thoughts are with you often,

Thank you Sloane-I'm gonna try to get in contact with the Texas MPCH. I have her NCIC number, and I didn't know I could do it because on the site it also says it has to be LE or a guardian. I just had a conversation with the detective in N.C. about the break down in the MP system in America. It certainly is sad. I feel for the LE and all of the people who have to work to solve these cases, I can't imagine that there are very many that are easy to solve.

Christine-I'm going to PM you right now!

Good luck, Missie:blowkiss:. Please let us know how it goes with getting Deanna on to the site.

Sloane, thank you so very much for your suggestions! So, if there are 70,000 MP in TX alone most of the missing are not even listed. We need a better system in the country, and I hope that Christin's effort can help with this. Boy, that is gonna be one big job we are undertaking.

Lion

Well, I guess I should have been more specific...70,000 ppl. in TX were REPORTED missing...not all of them stay missing. Many were runaways whose issues were resolved and they get taken off the list.

Christine...you mentioned something about helping...thank you for what you do!

And that, Dear Sloane, is what they assumed happened to Deanna. Sgt. Davis said a lot of the time the "runaways" come back and no one calls to tell them they did, which of course causes even more break down in they system.
OT: I absolutely love your new siggy Sloane!

We FINALLY closed on our house today. A big weight has been lifted! The only downside is that our new home is in a very rural area and they have no cable or broadband internet out there yet. There is a work order for it with the cable company. This means that my internet access is going to be severely limited for a few weeks after tomorrow. If you don't see me on, that is probably why. I will try to find somewhere that has wireless and check in as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood