Found Deceased TX - Debra Mackey, 20, Lubbock, 1 Jan 1982

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Cold case: What happened to Debra Mackey?

Debra Denise (Terrel) Mackey was reported missing by her mother on January 1st 1982. Investigators are asking anyone with information to come forward. The recent press release seems to be the only source of information available for this case. I don't think Debra is on NamUs.

Lubbock police revisit missing person cold case from 1980s

http://lubbockonline.com/crime-and-courts/crime/2016-06-17/lubbock-police-revisit-missing-person-cold-case-1980s#.V2ZUrPkrLIU

Lubbock police Lt. Ray Mendoza said the case was reopened in hopes of somebody recalling the crime.

Mendoza said police did not know if she left on her own or possibly changed her name, so after an investigation on Mackey’s background, investigators drew up a different conclusion.

“Based on certain circumstances, Mendoza said, “they believe she was met with foul play.”

Without any family in the area, Mackey’s sister contacted the department in 2011 to check on the status of the case. Mendoza said police didn’t release details of the case until Friday because the case is more than three decades old, and a detective had to locate the paper report.

10799860_G.jpg

Family of Missing Person Pleads for Answers

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/kamc-news/family-of-missing-person-pleads-for-answers

Debra Denise Mackey was reported missing to Lubbock Police on January 1, 1982. Now, 34 years later, Angela Terrell has a difficult time speaking about her missing sister.

"We loved my sister, she was a people person, she got along with everybody, everybody got along with her. I didn't even know of one enemy that she had," said Terrell.

"The detective... has been taking to a lot of people," Mendoza explained. "Talking to one person that leads him to another person and so forth. But nothing yet, nothing concrete."

"We hope that by putting this out again, a second time, or a third time even, that we're hopefully going to get somebody that grows a conscience if they did harm to her and comes forward," Mendoza added.

"Every time we have a family get together that's all we talk about, how we miss her, her life was stolen. We don't know what, we don't know what," said Mackey's cousin Mary Mcdade. "Thirty four years, that's a long time for you not to know what happened to one of your family members."

Mcdade said family members could only find one existing photo of Mackey, which they cherish.

Charley Project

mackey_debra.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: January 1, 1982 from Lubbock, Texas
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date of Birth: July 23, 1961
• Height and Weight: 5'0, 110 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, black eyes. Mackey may use the last name Terrel.
• Clothing/Jewelry Descripition: A checkered plaid hooded coat, a plaid shirt, green pants, brown shoes and a red and white bandana on her head.

Details of Disappearance
Mackey was last seen in the 1700 block of Avenue E in Lubbock, Texas on January 1, 1982. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case, but foul play is suspected.

A Lubbock family is begging for public help to try and find a woman who has been missing for nearly 35 years.

Debra Denise Mackey was last seen January 1, 1982, and her family continues their search for her.
"That's a part of my life that will never go away, until we find out whatever, ever happened to her," says Mary McDade, Mackey's cousin.

Debra Denise Mackey was just 20 years old when she vanished.
http://www.kcbd.com/story/33431762/lubbock-woman-debra-denise-mackey-still-missing-after-35-years

I wonder why Debra is still not in NamUs. :(

Last edited:
Me too. As soon as we found out that PJD was actually black, I thought of Debra. I hope they’ve looked into this!

ETA: I’m really glad she’s in NamUs now.
I'm confused though. I thought the JD found a few months later in Plainview, Texas was white. There is a Plainsville Jane Doe who was found in Mass. 2004 behind a truck stop who was black though.

I'm confused though. I thought the JD found a few months later in Plainview, Texas was white. There is a Plainsville Jane Doe who was found in Mass. 2004 behind a truck stop who was black though.
I’ve not submitted either. But Plainview Jane Doe has definitely been determined to be black. She was initially thought to be white, but later that was found to be a mistake. This happened only recently actually.

You’ll have to go back and read through the thread. Otherwise, you won’t find it many places. I can’t understand why DDP hasn’t updated their link.

TX - TX - Plainview, Fem, 19-21, nude and decapitated on a dirt road, Feb'82

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Demographics
Missing Age20 Years
Current Age60 Years
First NameDebra
Middle NameDenise
Last NameTerrell
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 0" (60 Inches)
Weight110 lbs
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactJanuary 1, 1982
NamUs Case CreatedApril 6, 2021
Last Known Location Map
LocationLubbock, Texas
CountyLubbock County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of DisappearanceDebra Terrell (Mackey) was last seen leaving her mother's residence in a brown vehicle at approximately 0200 hours on 1-1-1982.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
green pants, plaid shirt, check plaid coat with hood, brown shoes, red and white bandana around shirt/head.

Footwear
Brown shoes.
Original

Not sure she really went missing 1 of jan or they just put that day cause they didn't know exactly. Maiden name was Mackey? if so they did clear the husband?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Demographics
Missing Age20 Years
Current Age60 Years
First NameDebra
Middle NameDenise
Last NameTerrell
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 0" (60 Inches)
Weight110 lbs
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactJanuary 1, 1982
NamUs Case CreatedApril 6, 2021
Last Known Location Map
LocationLubbock, Texas
CountyLubbock County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of DisappearanceDebra Terrell (Mackey) was last seen leaving her mother's residence in a brown vehicle at approximately 0200 hours on 1-1-1982.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
green pants, plaid shirt, check plaid coat with hood, brown shoes, red and white bandana around shirt/head.

Footwear
Brown shoes.
Original

Not sure she really went missing 1 of jan or they just put that day cause they didn't know exactly. Maiden name was Mackey? if so they did clear the husband?
I believe that’s her actual missing date. Not sure about her husband though. I’ve requested this thread be merged with an existing one for Debra. :) Maybe adding both surnames to the title will help with searches?

Debra Mackey, 20: Last Seen At NYE Party With Her Family In 1982

It was in 2016 when this case was officially reopened by the Lubbock Police Department in Texas. It was suggested by Lt. Ray Mendoza that investigators weren’t sure if Debra Mackey simply walked away from her life and changed her name, but with over three decades passed since she went missing, authorities concluded that they believe she “met with foul play.”

The early morning hours of January 1, 1982, would be the last time anyone would see Debra Mackey. The 20-year-old was visiting her family at her mother’s home to ring in the new year, but it was around 2:00 a.m. when Debra was spotted getting into a brown vehicle with an unidentified person. Years ago, Debra’s cousin, Mary McDade sat down with reporters as she relived those last moments.

“That’s a part of my life that will never go away, until we find out whatever, ever happened to her,” said Mary at the time. “Never saw her again, never knew what happened to her… We remember, she came and she had on a brown coat. She came in and something crazy happened. She left and we never saw her again. It’s killing us, each and every day a little bit by little bit, it’s taking some parts of us.”

“Still hold onto that same little memory,” Mary added. “There’s no way in the world that she would’ve left and never came back.”

Debra Mackey was described as a fun-loving young woman who was close with her family. Mary said she was a “happy-go-lucky person” and begged the public to come forward with any bit of information to help the family learn what may have happened to her cousin.

“Somebody knows something to help us out and that’s all we want, is some closure,” she said. “That’s a part of a book, in our life, we would just like to close. We can’t close it, because we don’t know what happened to her.” While crying, she pleaded, “Anybody, please help us. Let us know if y’all know anything about her. Please let us know.”

“These cases get cold but they don’t get forgotten,” said Lubbock Police Department Lt. Ray Mendoza. “The first thing those officers tried to do was find that case and find out what had happened with it. That was a chore in itself because in 1982 that was just a written, handwritten report. So, detectives had to go find that report and go to work on it.”

Debra’s sister Angela Terrell disputes ideas that the young mother walked away from her life of her own accord.

“We loved my sister, she was a people person, she got along with everybody, everybody got along with her. I didn’t even know of one enemy that she had,” Angela stated. “We have our suspicions about what happened to her. She didn’t just jump up and leave, because she loved us and her only child.”

Angela revealed that Debra lived a “wild” life that began when she was very young. She reportedly got pregnant at 11-years-old and “it seemed like her life was going downhill real fast. She was living a kind of fast life.” Even if the news turns out to be the worst, Angela said, “All we want is closure and proper burial for my sister.”

At the time of her disappearance, Debra Mackey stood 5 feet tall and weighed 110 pounds. She had black/dark brown hair and brown eyes. Debra was last seen wearing green pants, a plaid shirt, a checkered brown plaid coat with hood, brown shoes, and a red and white bandana around her head. She also used the last name “Terrell” and her middle name is “Denise.” Debra would be 60-years-old at the time of this publication.

Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact the Lubbock Police Department at (806) 775-2816 or the Crime Line at 741-1000, or their local authorities. The agency case number is 11-31579.

Angela revealed that Debra lived a “wild” life that began when she was very young. She reportedly got pregnant at 11-years-old and “it seemed like her life was going downhill real fast. She was living a kind of fast life.”

This immediately jumped out at me - I'm wondering if perhaps she made an official rape claim against whoever got her pregnant when she was a child? That would definitely be a reason for someone to want to get rid of her, IMO...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back