Found Deceased TX - Delano Burkes, 26, missing after night out with friends, went to use the bathroom, seen running, Houston, 13 Nov 2022

From the link:

"Employees on a tugboat found him floating in the water Friday morning in the Houston Ship Channel, located in the 9600 block of High Level Rd. The missing person case is now considered a homicide investigation."

Oh my....
I'm sorry. I'm not seeing where authorities said it was being investigated as a homicide. I did see that Rep. Sheila Jackson said something along those lines. This is a very sad outcome.

from the above article:

"I want thank the layers of police, with HPD as a lead, that began this investigation as a missing person’s investigation," said Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. "They’re still pursuing it, but as this individual has not been determined to have died of natural causes, then it is likely a homicide. That means the person did not die by natural causes."

I think Congresswoman should leave MOD to the medical examiner to determine :rolleyes:. Ruling out natural causes does not necessarily mean homicide. Could still be accident or suicide or undetermined.
I agree! This is only going to cause confusion and denial later if it's determined to be something other than homicide.

I'm sorry. I'm not seeing where authorities said it was being investigated as a homicide. I did see that Rep. Sheila Jackson said something along those lines. This is a very sad outcome.
Someone took this and ran with it:
“Police have not said if they believe Burkes fell into the water on his own or if foul play may be involved. The case has been turned over to HPD's Homicide Unit, but that's standard anytime there's a death associated with a missing person's case.”
-Quoted from the attached article

I reasonably assumed Delano's sister wasn't 'making it up' and was relating information she had obtained from persons who were there, such as Delano's friends.
Certainly there is no lack of instances of people being roofied in Texas - is the provision of a roofied drink to a person who later dies, & possibly any such roofied drink having materially contributed to the circumstances of that persons death, a crime that would be investigated by HPD? I think so, so rather than a mugging type circumstance that results in death, (..I'd suggest that posters on here don't seem to have considered that..) HPD homicide may just as likely be investigating the (EDIT: possible) 'roofie' angle as a crime contributing to death.

<modsnip>

Posters here might like to determine where Delano Burkes lived - was it west of McIntyres ? Anyway, regardless of where he lived, check out the (only) ~waist height of the sides barrier on the W 18th St bridge that bridges over the White Oak bayou. I'd suggest not too hard to go over that, in the mental condition Delano Burkes was seen to be in, on the video so far released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It literally says it is now considered a homicide. They didn't have to say anything considering the autopsy hasnt been completed. Apparently they saw something that made them firm enough in the belief to mention it to the media. JMO.
View attachment 383295 - from the 4th paragraph below.

ADMIN CLARIFICATION - The quote was from Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee and this is what she said in the link above:
"I want thank the layers of police, with HPD as a lead, that began this investigation as a missing person’s investigation," said Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. "They’re still pursuing it, but as this individual has not been determined to have died of natural causes, then it is likely a homicide. That means the person did not die by natural causes."
This is NOT an official confirmation from the ME or LE.
It is possible that the article was edited from the original publiction because of the wording. It is clear now that this quote came from an opinion from someone not involved in the investigation.
This is merely one person’s OPINION who is not in a position to make a ruling, so we cannot discuss it as if it came from LE.
We also CANNOT MAKE ANY POLITICAL COMMENT regarding it according to the TOS we all agreed to when we joined.
Please make a note of that going forward.
THANK YOU

Last edited:
If you search the name of the substance he was arrested for, it was actually MDMA (molly), not meth. MDMA is pretty commonly used among college kids. More mainstream and not as serious as meth IMO. Not that this charge is really that relevant to his disappearance but just wanted to clear that up.
Interesting. If he had popped a pill & consumed alcohol this could cause some major erratic behavior. Could also explain his interesting walk. Kind of swaying but also kind of happy loopy.

Here's the water levels of White Oak Bayou about 2 miles down from where Bevis meets TC Jester.

Bottom of the stream is roughly 6.5ft, the night after he went missing levels rose to about 11ft so thats a pretty decent amount of water. It oscilates over the last few weeks as we've gotten a fair amount of rain. I maintain that it would have been difficult for a body to make it from there all the way to where he was found without getting caught, stuck, or seen. But then again, stranger things have happend and with the amount of rain, the amount of people on the neighboring trail (there's a walking and bike trail that runs all the along the bayou all the way to downtown) wouldn't have been high. With that said, it's certainly not impossible. Access to the water where he was found seems pretty stringent as it's a port area with security and gates, so i doubt he was dumped there. The only other option would that he was dumped somewhere between the bar and where he was found.

The last point get's me back to that video... did he get in that silver truck? If its a homicide i'm sure everything will start to be under more scrutiny and now they can use that to look at where his phone was pinging.
It most definitely looked like he entered that vehicle in the video. If he met with someone, would explain being found so far from where he was last seen.

We have a lot of locals responding to this case, I am curious if you know if any cameras are in the area?

I lived close to a bay my whole life, and there was always cameras in random locations so I am curious if they might have a chance and finding where he went into the water.

Articles I’ve read said Delano had his phone on his person, but no ID. Not having ID with him seems unusual. Wouldn’t one bring ID if going bar-hopping? Only thing I can think of is that maybe he left it in the car?

(Add:I just read back to earlier posts as see that @Ellis In Wonderland had wondered about his lack of ID, too. I agree with you, Ellis. It’s odd, right?)

Last edited:

We have a lot of locals responding to this case, I am curious if you know if any cameras are in the area?

I lived close to a bay my whole life, and there was always cameras in random locations so I am curious if they might have a chance and finding where he went into the water.
The area where he was found is majorly a port/shipping area, very industrial. I'd be shocked if there weren't a plethora of cameras around given the liability of heavy equipment/machinery/valuable cargo, etc.

As for the area of the bar, lots of bars in the area, and LOTS (and i mean LOTS) of townhomes in the blocks surrounding the bar which i'd imagine there are many many ring doorbell cams on those townhomes. The storage facility video i can pinpoint exactly where that is so i imagine there's a lot of other video footage out there that may not add much to the story but also maybe it does.

However as for cameras near the Bayou, i'm not aware of any.

Does anyone know all the places that caught surveillance of him? If we could map out all the places he was seen and at what times, it could be helpful. I know he was seen at Mcyntires then a storage unit facility then maybe at another business? Not too sure though

The area where he was found is majorly a port/shipping area, very industrial. I'd be shocked if there weren't a plethora of cameras around given the liability of heavy equipment/machinery/valuable cargo, etc.

As for the area of the bar, lots of bars in the area, and LOTS (and i mean LOTS) of townhomes in the blocks surrounding the bar which i'd imagine there are many many ring doorbell cams on those townhomes. The storage facility video i can pinpoint exactly where that is so i imagine there's a lot of other video footage out there that may not add much to the story but also maybe it does.

However as for cameras near the Bayou, i'm not aware of any.
yeah that’s what I’m looking at as well. I wonder what time and where was the last video surveillance anyone had of him. Like those houses on Bevis right before TC Jester or even any of the apartments at the city park apartments. Maybe some residents have ring cameras there

Idk the area, as I’m from a cross the country, but I have plenty of experience bar hopping.

1. Did the friends bother to go into the bar to look for him?

2. How did he get into the bar with no id?

3. His friends LEFT him in HIS own car?! Sus

4. His friends didn’t call his wife before leaving him

5. Their story seems to be missing A LOT of information

Who just leaves their friend and takes his car and his id without calling a family member or simply looking for him?

Thank you for this article-- I popped in tonight for update and saw this.

I will patiently wait for autopsy report to see what COD & MOD are.

I am sad to read this and feel so bad, but I also expected this outcome, unfortunately, as we see this often, darn it.

Prayers to his family and friends... I hope they get answers !!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back