GUILTY TX - Dr. Joseph Sonnier, 57, slain in contract killing, Lubbock, 10 July 2012

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by wfgodot, Jul 12, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Lubbock is about 125 miles south of Amarillo, and 340 miles west-northwest of Dallas.

Lubbock police say doctor found slain at his home (amarillo.com)
    more at link above
    more at link below:

Doctor found slain at his Lubbock home (kxan.com)

2. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

wow. sad. First a federal defender in OR and now a chief of pathology in TX.

Not a good day for those involved in criminal investigation and legal system

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

So right now it sounds like a cut-and-dried break-in with discovery of the perpetrator by the homeowner, who is then subsequently shot to death by the perp.

But if problems in the neighborhood - the break-ins at the house across the street - were for whatever reason known, a person known to the doctor may have arrived, been admitted to his home, shot him to death, then upon leaving, broken a window to simulate a break-in in order to confuse investigators.

Hm. Probably the former. But one never knows. Interesting that violence had, in the form of gunshots, touched his life before. Even in Texas, for a well-known and -respected doctor that would be rare.

4. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

Could it be someone who blamed Dr. Sonnier for the break up of his first marriage, thinking that if he had been a better husband that his wife would never have become involved with the next husband who ended up murdering her? This seems to me like something that may have been contemplated for quite a while...waiting for the anniversary of the ex-wife's death, walking in to Dr. Sonnier's own home and making sure that he knew he was about to die and why.

If the break-ins are connected at all it could be part of a plan to distract LE toward looking at a random encounter instead of a well planned execution.

I would want to give a close look at members of the ex-wife's family or one of the three sons. I'm not wanting to cast doubt upon the whole family, as they are suffering another terrible tragedy. Sometimes a person who is normally law-abiding and responsible faces a personal loss and finally breaks. Just another possibility to check out. MOO

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Plastic surgeon arrested in Lubbock doctor's death (AP / kltv.com)
    more at link above

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Police believe love triangle involving Sonnier contributed to his murder for hire (lubbockonline.com)
    more at link above

Arrest warrant affidavit

7. jaroba07

jaroba07 Member

Terrible, just terrible!

I hope the families involved on both sides can find some kind of comfort!

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Hello jaroba07 - always good to see SEKansas on here!

9. jaroba07

jaroba07 Member

Thank you wfgodot!!!

I re-read the news articles...It always amazes me when I hear things like this. For the life of me I cannot figure out the "why" of any of it! I'm sure that is alot of us though!

Did he pay in silver bars because he thought it could not be linked back to him? It also amazes me that people are willing to get paid to do such a thing.

10. jaroba07

jaroba07 Member

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Not sure why the silver bars (though it does give the case a "betrayal" context: the scriptural "30 pieces of silver," and, here, the three silver bars).

For some reason, when I found this case, I thought it might be hinkier than just your average "neighborhood break-in + violence" incident. As two of the three - the dead man and one of the accused - are not only doctors but doctors in specialized areas - pathology, plastic surgery - I'm vindicated in having thought so. Lubbock's medical community must be reeling.

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

13. laurvelous

laurvelous Member

I hope Texas empties a syringe in these two. I will happily be there to watch if possible.

14. TGIRecovered

Lubbock seems to attract more than its fair share of unscrupulous docs IMO. Quite a side show...and a shame for all of the good docs who practice there to have to deal with.

15. laurvelous

laurvelous Member

Let's be clear here:

The "unscrupulous" doc who hired someone to murder an innocent man was from Amarillo.

The doctor from Lubbock was, by all accounts (including my own personal experience), the most kind, generous, selfless and unpretentious man - nothing like the egotistical maniac (from AMARILLO) that hired a buffoon to kill him.

16. TGIRecovered

Yes, I agree that they are not all unscrupulous, and certainly mean no offense to Dr. Sonnier!

17. fran

fran Former Member

Dr. Joseph Sonnier III's Family Knew Of Problems With Thomas Dixon

LUBBOCK, Texas — The family of Dr. Joseph Sonnier III had gathered in Louisiana for his funeral when they heard the news: Police had accused another doctor of paying to have him killed.

The doctor, Thomas Michael Dixon, was arrested this week and is accused of paying a business associate in bars of silver to kill Sonnier, who was dating Dixon's ex-girlfriend.

Family members who spoke with Sonnier in recent weeks say they knew an ex-boyfriend of Sonnier's girlfriend was causing the couple problems. The family's focus now, according to Sonnier's sons, is to pursue justice.

full article at link ............. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/slain-texas-doctors-famil_n_1684533.html

18. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/local/story/Judge-issues-gag-order-in-Sonnier-capital-murder/eGj9LVobd0Oc4gIcZGEqOA.cspx

19. OkieGranny

20. OkieGranny