GUILTY TX - Dr. Mario Gonzalez, 56, murdered at his Bellville ranch, 22 Aug 2009

Officials Arrest 2 in Doctor's Murder

Updated: Friday, 28 Aug 2009, 5:56 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 28 Aug 2009, 4:39 PM CDT

Suspects.jpg

Suspects

gonzales_20090823004121_320_240.jpg

Dr. Gonzalez

Law enforcement officials say they've arrested two suspects in connection to the murder of a Methodist Hospital doctor who was shot outside his Bellville ranch Saturday.

Brothers Cristobal Galvan Cerna , 23 and Moises Galvan Cerna, 18, were arrested on murder charges in connection to fatal shooting of Dr. Jorge Mario Gonzalez, a critical care doctor at Houston's Methodist Hospital. Their cousin, 18-year-old Misael Santollo, also is being sought.

Detectives said the three suspects are relatives of Gonzalez's ranch hand Noel Galvan, who was also shot Saturday at the ranch located on South Sycamore Crossing in Bellville. Gonzalez's wife and a small child were unharmed.

Texas Rangers officials say as Gonzalez arrived at the ranch, he was approached by three masked men already at the property. The doctor went inside his ranch and got a gun, shooting at the three suspects.

<snipped>

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090828_bellville_doctor_murder_arrests

TWO ARRESTS IN BELLVILLE MURDER CASE

(AUGUST 28TH, 2009)

cernacristobal.jpg

cernamoises.jpg

Two arrests have been made in the murder of a prominent Houston physician at his Bellville ranch last Saturday.

At a news conference in Bellville Friday, Sgt. Freeman Martin of the Texas Department of Public Safety announced the arrest of 23-year old Cristobal Galvan Cerna and his 18-year old brother Moise Cerna. They are brothers of the ranch hand 22-year old Noel Cerna, who was injured in the attack. Law enforcement officers believe that Noel Cerna had nothing to do with the attack. A third suspect, 18-year old Misial Cerna remains at large.

Sgt. Martin said that the suspects were waiting for Dr. Jorge Mario Gonzalez, when he and his family arrived at the ranch at about noon, Saturday, August 22nd. They immediately seized the doctor, while his wife and infant child took refuge in a closet. Dr. Gonzalez was gunned down during an apparent robbery, then fled the scene. The suspects were able to grab Dr. Gonzalez’s handgun during the robbery.

<snipped>

http://kwhi.com/

santollo.jpg

Misael Santollo is wanted in the shooting death of Dr. Jorge Mario Gonzalez of Houston

<snipped>

Officials are looking for a cousin of the brothers, identified as Misael Santollo, 18.

The siblings are brothers of a ranch hand who was shot along with Gonzalez at his ranch Saturday afternoon in the 6400 block of South Sycamore Crossing, located outside the city limits of Bellville, about 65 miles west of Houston.

Investigators have not been able to link Noel Galvan Cerna, 21, to the crime.

"We have no evidence to substantiate he was involved," said Texas Rangers Capt. Freeman Martin.

The brothers charged are being held in the Austin County Jail without bond.

Noel Cerna remains hospitalized in Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

<snipped>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6591619.html

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6988330

<snipped>

We are told both men are in the country illegally and Cristobal had a felony warrant out for aggravated sexual assault in Harris County.

Police say there is a third suspect involved, Misael Santollo, 18, who is a cousin of the Cernas. Santollo is a U.S. citizen, born in California. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Recently the owner of a white pickup had changed the license plates on the vehicle, even though the plates had not expired. The pickup was registered to a relative of the ranch hand, who told police that the Cerna brothers and Santollo operated the vehicle. Authorities then discovered that Cristobal had a warrant out for his arrest and they were eventually able to link the brothers to the crime scene.

And, for now, police are not willing to talk about the motive behind Dr. Gonzalez's murder.

"We do not believe the doctor owed any money. We do not believe he was involved with any foul play. We are collecting facts, and I hate to speculate on a motive," said Capt. Martin.

<snipped>

Okay, I have nothing good to say about the illegal suspects...So I won't say anything at all.

Prayers to the Dr.'s family...He did what he thought was right and honorable - Protecting his family and foreman...

Hope they catch the last guy soon.

Check out the doctor's guest book comments posted with his obituary link on the first page. He was very well respected by his patients and gave them so much hope for recovery. He went out of his way to help them feel at ease. He touched many lives and it's such a shame that this senseless murder occurred.

Will be interesting to hear what the motive was - what the suspects were after. One article states that the home wasn't flashy - is a simple farmhouse with an above ground pool.

I hope the doctor wasn't known for caring large amounts of cash. You never know when even a harmless, passing comment is overheard by the wrong people.

Brothers charged in Houston doc's slaying
Officers now looking for a cousin of the suspects
By PEGGY O'HARE
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Aug. 29, 2009, 7:45AM

New details:

<snipped>

Investigators do not believe the doctor owed the men money or that he was involved in any unsavory activity, Martin said.

The ambush happened around noon Aug. 22 as Gonzalez arrived in a vehicle at his ranch in the 6400 block of South Sycamore Crossing, along with his 29-year-old pregnant wife, their 18-month-old son and the ranch hand, Martin said. The ranch hand was in the vehicle with the family, Martin said.

Three men wearing masks and gloves had been at the ranch home before the family arrived.

The ranch hand was shot, with a bullet piercing his arm and lodging in his torso, but investigators provided no details on how that happened.

A Department of Public Safety sergeant who heard a broadcast description of the vehicles reported he saw the truck minutes later but did not believe it to be involved in the shootings because it was traveling toward Bellville.

Officers determined the older brother was wanted on a felony warrant for sexual assault of a child and arrested him, Martin said. His brother agreed to accompany investigators for a voluntary interview, Martin said. The warrant charging Cristobal Galvan Cerna with sexual assault of a child accuses him of having sex with a 14-year-old girl on June 1, records show.

<snipped>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6591619.html

It is interesting that in one statement officials state that they don't believe the ranch hand to be involved despite being brother to the two arrested suspects and then later it is amended that they don't have any evidence linking him to the crime. See posts 242 and 243. Is this just different wording to say the same thing or are they growing suspicious of Noel?
It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds, but I'm not going to lie, IMO, it would seem likely that the ranch hand, despite being shot, may have had some involvement. On the other hand, the two brothers may have come up with the plan based on their brother innocently talking about the comings and goings of the Doctor or what valuables were at the ranch. We shall see.
Peace be with the Doctor's family and all that cared for him, it appears he was a special being who was lost way too soon.

You're right - there's got to be a lot more to this. As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of "weekend" ranches in the area - where wealthy city dwellers own land in the country and visit on weekends. If the guys wanted to steal something from the home or ranch (equipment, etc.), during the week would be the time to do it - when no one was there for 5 days. So much easier. And, since their brother worked on the ranch for the doc, they would surely know this.

The fact that they waited until the doctor arrived there leads me to believe that whatever they were after, the doctor was carrying it on his person. Perhaps the doc was known for carrying large sums of cash?

What's most puzzling to me is that they shot their own brother. Wonder if that part of it was accidental?

Thank you, CuriousTwo, for all the information you have provided; I have been very interested in this case as years ago I lived in Houston and worked at Methodist Hospital.
Really appreciate your report!:blowkiss:

"Robbery excluded in killing of doctor
Officers still looking for a motive"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6594446.html

"It wasn't a robbery. Nothing was stolen from the property, Texas Rangers Captain Martin Freeman said Sunday."

"Three men in ski masks quickly ambushed the doctor, who ran in the house, got a pistol and exchanged gunfire. The ranch worker was struck in the arm, and because the bullet has not been recovered, officials do not know who fired that shot."

I guess this explains how the wife was able to get inside and call 911. They all went inside, and then the doctor got his gun. It doesn't explain why they didn't go after her or the boy. However, the shooters were wearing masks so I guess they didn't think leaving a witness was a problem.

Thank you, CuriousTwo, for all the information you have provided; I have been very interested in this case as years ago I lived in Houston and worked at Methodist Hospital.
Really appreciate your report!:blowkiss:

You're quite welcome!

"Robbery excluded in killing of doctor
Officers still looking for a motive"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6594446.html

"It wasn't a robbery. Nothing was stolen from the property, Texas Rangers Captain Martin Freeman said Sunday."

"Three men in ski masks quickly ambushed the doctor, who ran in the house, got a pistol and exchanged gunfire. The ranch worker was struck in the arm, and because the bullet has not been recovered, officials do not know who fired that shot."

I guess this explains how the wife was able to get inside and call 911. They all went inside, and then the doctor got his gun. It doesn't explain why they didn't go after her or the boy. However, the shooters were wearing masks so I guess they didn't think leaving a witness was a problem.

To summarize, no robbery, nothing taken, guys were there only when they knew the doc and his wife would be there (rather than during the week when no one was home) ... what could be the motive?

Someone hired them and their brother (the ranch hand) was accidentally shot? I'm at a loss on this one.

This below link, which has quotes from the doctor's wife, also has a photo of Dr. Gonzalez, his wife Charleen (a molecular biologist), and their young son:

http://www.reflector.com/news/nation/texas-doctor-slain-at-ranch-where-he-found-respite-801728.html

Also, in the article posted by Pegatha and referenced by CuriousTwo above, the below comment was left on page 14:

NurseJustice wrote:
I work at the Methodist ICU as a nurse. Dr. G was one of the hardest working and compassionate people you could possibly meet. Everyone is saying that the young wife who recently had the doctor adjust his insure policy and will had everything to do with it. I aslo went to the wake last friday and she changed the funeral mass the following day to a private one where the Docs mother, brothers and older sons and daughter were not invited. She changed the location because she was not able to read a letter that was deamed "inappropriate" by the catholic priest. What kind of selfish/terrible person would do that? Dr. G must be having fits in heaven!

I really hope that his new wife did not have anything to do with it. I had originally thought maybe his ex-wife was involved and it was a hate/revenge killing due to him impregnating, and then marrying this woman after their divorce was finalized, however, I really just do not know what to think anymore.

NurseJustice wrote:
I work at the Methodist ICU as a nurse. Dr. G was one of the hardest working and compassionate people you could possibly meet. Everyone is saying that the young wife who recently had the doctor adjust his insure policy and will had everything to do with it. I aslo went to the wake last friday and she changed the funeral mass the following day to a private one where the Docs mother, brothers and older sons and daughter were not invited. She changed the location because she was not able to read a letter that was deamed "inappropriate" by the catholic priest. What kind of selfish/terrible person would do that? Dr. G must be having fits in heaven!

Fermi was able to get this quote which followed this article
http://www.reflector.com/news/natio...nch-where-he-found-respite-801728.html?page=2

I don't know if they removed the comments or if I am so totally computer stupid I just can't find them but, no matter what, Fermi caught the one quote that really could tie up all the lose ends.

If this person is telling the truth, even somewhat telling the truth then the good doctor's wife is a piece of work and is being looked into with a magnifying glass.

This is so tragic and then again, so weird too.

Fermi - Thanks for the link!

Tricia- The comments were there a moment ago and now they're gone. That is too weird. I think there were 138 comments and the above quote was on page 14 - I really did see them with my own eyes. LOL! Wonder where they went? Oh well.

I hope and pray that this wasn't a murder for hire, but if the motive wasn't drugs, or robbery, or revenge, then what else is there? This man did so much good for so many people and no one had a bad thing to say about him in all the comments I read. I hope that they soon find out the truth.

Wonder if the two jailed suspects have "ratted out" the one that's still on the loose? Surely the guys will fess up and say who hired them (if that's the case) - they have nothing to lose - they're going to do time. I bet LE knows the motive and just isn't releasing it until they have rock solid confirmation or have caught all the suspects.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6598262.html

A third man wanted in the slaying of a prominent Houston physician at his Austin County ranch was captured Tuesday night at an apartment in west Houston, authorities said.

Acting on a tip they received, the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force arrested Misael Santollo, 18, at an apartment in the 1100 block of Blalock, just north of the Katy Freeway, officials said.

Santollo is accused of shooting Dr. Jorge Mario Gonzalez, 56, on Aug. 22 at the doctor's 30-acre ranch in Belleville. Santollo is charged with murder.

Members of the fugitive task force spotted Santollo inside the apartment as they moved in to make the arrest at about 9:30 p.m.

“The blinds and the curtains were open,“ said Deputy U.S. Marshal Alfredo Perez. “As he saw us approaching, (Santollo) just got on all fours and ‘proned out.' “

<snipped>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back