TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow and wonderful -- hoping the webpage will help. $50,000 is a lot of money -- surely, as they say, "somebody knows something." Surely somebody will give LE the tip they need.
And thanks, @BINGOdinoDNA for showing us the webpage. It's a great page and it shows the family's heartache through their shared plea for help.
It's time for something to break. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news soon.

Found it somewhat interesting that Liz had lived in Florida, particularly as it was reported in January that “(d)etectives just went to Miami to interview a person of interest.” She and her husband were just getting ready to go to Orlando when she was murdered, too. I have no idea what, but there very well may be some sort of Florida connection there.
Hmmmm, that is interesting, isn't it? Do we know anything about Florida in relation to her -- other than she had lived there? I don't recall anything specific. Did anyone else in their Cosplay group live in Florida? Hoping we will hear more.

Florida……there must be much more to this in Florida IMHO.
That part of the “About Liz” section, though no dates were given for when Liz lived there, might be VERY important since LE were there to investigate further.

Elizabeth Barraza murder: Parents to raise reward | khou.com
BBM

• Detectives just went to Miami to interview a person of interest

From the website:
About Liz
Indisputable Truths from her parents
  • Liz lived in Illinois, Missouri, Florida and Texas.

Also, THIS part of “About Liz” sticks out for me a lot even though we knew about this before….
At the time of her death Liz was on the command staff as an Event Coordinator for The South Texas Squad

LB’s status in the cosplay hierarchy really COULD have caused envy from another member. Murderous envy? Anything is possible IMHO. We have seen crimes committed for much less.

Home WHO KILLED LIZ NUELLE BARRAZA

There is a lot to dig into here.
THANK YOU @BINGOdinoDNA for sharing it.
IMHO this crime WILL be solved.
It will just take a bit longer.

Last edited:
the timeline is very thorough and very interesting. The car was around a lot.
That timeline actually makes me consider a targeted hit much more so than I have. I have held the belief that this was a person with limited to no connection to Liz because they were so brazen about allowing themselves to be observed.

However, arriving early, driving by, staking it out so you arrive seconds after her husband leaves, all fit with a person who arrived from a long distance away, needed to be sure they had the right spot, and wanted to be "on-time". According to the timeline they weren't watching her husband to leave, they were nearby. They moved the truck at exactly the right moment to match his departure without seeing him depart. That is not a coincidence.

Long distance drive explains why nobody recognizes the truck.

Where did they go in that 3-4 hours the night before? If I just drove a long distance I look for a parking lot to take a snooze like a rest area or a hotel parking lot. After-all I have a long drive ahead of me after I kill someone. If I have a co-pilot to drive home I might go to get some coffee. I hope LE got video from those places nearby.

• Early Morning [06:55:08 AM] The truck is captured on her doorbell cam passing back by Liz’s house.
  • Early Morning [06:58:52 AM] Harris County Precinct 4 Constables arrive to investigate and secure the scene.
  • Early Morning [07:19:45 AM] Harris County Precinct 4 Constables enter the house to clear and secure the home. This set off the alarm that Liz had set to instantly trigger if a door was opened. She had the door inside the garage unlocked for her safety, as a precaution.
  • Early Morning [07:51:55 AM] Sergio Barraza arrives back at the house and is detained by Law Enforcement for questioning.

Timeline
Police were there within 5 minutes of the shooting, the murderer drives by again within 4 minutes of the police arriving.

Was Sergio also notified of the alarm being set off? Liz’s parents were notified which is why they showed up.

I’m off to search old articles, but I thought the first neighbor to call the police then called Sergio. Am I remembering it wrong? If someone comes across that link before me can you share it? I guess the timeline being laid out like that is different from what I remember. I didn’t realize Sergio was gone for an hour.

Last edited:
I'm more inclined to think it was a person who was or is someone who knew her or her husband, or both, and was into Cosplay and had a reason, how ever strange or "out-there" the motive was.
I also favor a cosplay motive.

Just to add to the possibility, a cosplay based motive would not necessarily be "out there" or strange. Rather, the core motive has sadly been "In Vogue" for centuries:

Perpetrator derives alot of self esteem, social status, respect, or even chosen family from formal or informal membership in a group. Perpetrator gets 'dissed, perceives that social standing, self esteem is harmed- then gets unhinged.

As a side note, a board member who participated in Cosplay said a visible minority of participants "dive in deep" regarding self esteem, social status, friends etc.

She then related that one member in her group flew into a jealous rage simply because an actress from their Cosplay genre might have given her a personal acknowledgement at a fan convention.
Did anyone else in their Cosplay group live in Florida? Hoping we will hear more.

Clearly yes in regards to the extended group. But I have no idea in regards to the victim's immediate group.

The 501 Legion, known for being a serious cosplay group, has chapters in nearly every state, including Florida. The chapters, however, seem to be autonomous from each other in regards to leadership.

But.... I would not be surprised if one is say, a membership of the Texas chapter, that membership would be presumed to transfer to the Florida chapter upon moving. Likewise, I suspect a Texas member visiting Florida would be welcome at Florida events as having presumably met the standards for costume etc.

Last edited:
Can someone maybe help me understand this? It sounds like she set the house alarm even though she was only in the driveway? If that is how I am reading that, I find this really odd. I get setting the alarm while you are sleeping overnight, but if I were only in my driveway, I would NOT set my house alarm since I was right there. Maybe this is something people do and I'm not aware?

It makes me think she was already worried about something. Or was she maybe thinking if someone tried to rob her at the garage sale she could just run back inside the house, but yet trigger the alarm for help? It's still odd, I've had several garage sales and never thought this at all.....I'm wondering if something had already happened to put her on edge and she was being overly cautious?

Timeline (whokilledlizbarraza.com)
  • Early Morning [07:19:45 AM] Harris County Precinct 4 Constables enter the house to clear and secure the home. This set off the alarm that Liz had set to instantly trigger if a door was opened. She had the door inside the garage unlocked for her safety, as a precaution.

Can someone maybe help me understand this? It sounds like she set the house alarm even though she was only in the driveway? If that is how I am reading that, I find this really odd. I get setting the alarm while you are sleeping overnight, but if I were only in my driveway, I would NOT set my house alarm since I was right there. Maybe this is something people do and I'm not aware?

It makes me think she was already worried about something. Or was she maybe thinking if someone tried to rob her at the garage sale she could just run back inside the house, but yet trigger the alarm for help? It's still odd, I've had several garage sales and never thought this at all.....I'm wondering if something had already happened to put her on edge and she was being overly cautious?

Timeline (whokilledlizbarraza.com)
I found that odd, too. And if I remember correctly the garage sale was all set up on the driveway and the garage doors were closed. So if she went into the house she’d have to either open the garage door bay or go through the man door which I assume is either on the side or back of the garage. So if there was cause for concern she didn’t have a quick escape into the house.

Her parents responded immediately when the alarm was set off and they couldn’t get in touch with her. I don’t know how far away they lived but they arrived on site 17 minutes after the alarm was set off. Was there reason for Liz to set the alarm? Was there reason her parents jumped into action so quickly? Did they not call Sergio when Liz didn’t respond?

I found that odd, too. And if I remember correctly the garage sale was all set up on the driveway and the garage doors were closed. So if she went into the house she’d have to either open the garage door bay or go through the man door which I assume is either on the side or back of the garage. So if there was cause for concern she didn’t have a quick escape into the house.

Her parents responded immediately when the alarm was set off and they couldn’t get in touch with her. I don’t know how far away they lived but they arrived on site 17 minutes after the alarm was set off. Was there reason for Liz to set the alarm? Was there reason her parents jumped into action so quickly? Did they not call Sergio when Liz didn’t respond?
I don't know if its common or not but my alarm has zones and we can deactivate one to enter and leave the house. We don't do that but we have friends who do.

We also have the emergency contact set to my parents, because the idea is that my wife and I would normally be in the same place if the alarm were set.

What follows is only conjecture…… I have no confirmation that these details are true. I do think it’s possible that….
…..perhaps the garage door was open, or she was planning to open it shortly for the start of the sale. She might have had some items in there set up for the sale. It would make sense for the door from the garage to inside the house would be unlocked so that she could get in quickly if she needed to and lock it behind her.
……the front door to the house was locked (and alarmed) because it might be difficult to keep an eye on it during the sale with an uncertain number of customers milling about, especially if Liz was the only one “manning” the sale.

The scenarios above are exactly the way I have staged the few garage sales I have had in the Houston area. My house did not have an alarm however. Sitting inside an attached garage keeps you out of sun with easy access to the bathroom, hydration, snacks, and air conditioning. I know it was January but it can be quite warm on some days in January in Houston.

I am so sad that Liz was there alone to have this garage sale. Anyone can walk up and rob a garage sale, and I realize even more so now how helpful it is to have more than one person handling it. There is safety in numbers for sure. Poor Liz was brutally ambushed. This MUST be solved, and I think it will. And I believe it will be shocking no matter who is the accused, because this was just so wrong.

What follows is only conjecture…… I have no confirmation that these details are true. I do think it’s possible that….
…..perhaps the garage door was open, or she was planning to open it shortly for the start of the sale. She might have had some items in there set up for the sale. It would make sense for the door from the garage to inside the house would be unlocked so that she could get in quickly if she needed to and lock it behind her.
……the front door to the house was locked (and alarmed) because it might be difficult to keep an eye on it during the sale with an uncertain number of customers milling about, especially if Liz was the only one “manning” the sale.

The scenarios above are exactly the way I have staged the few garage sales I have had in the Houston area. My house did not have an alarm however. Sitting inside an attached garage keeps you out of sun with easy access to the bathroom, hydration, snacks, and air conditioning. I know it was January but it can be quite warm on some days in January in Houston.

I am so sad that Liz was there alone to have this garage sale. Anyone can walk up and rob a garage sale, and I realize even more so now how helpful it is to have more than one person handling it. There is safety in numbers for sure. Poor Liz was brutally ambushed. This MUST be solved, and I think it will. And I believe it will be shocking no matter who is the accused, because this was just so wrong.
BBM, that’s what I’d initially thought and how I would do it, but her garage bays were closed, which seems odd to me. Anytime I’ve had a garage sale, everything is staged in the garage the night before and in the morning we drag some stuff out onto the drive while we sit inside the garage during the sale.

The front door being locked seems normal, not sure about it being alarmed but everyone I know with an alarm only sets it when their away or sleeping.

i guess it’s just odd to me that she didn’t leave a garage bay open if she intended to enter/exit that way during the sale.

I mean I also think it’s odd that they planned a garage sale the night before and didn’t advertise anywhere. I also think it’s odd they planned a last minute garage sale for $$$ for a trip that was already planned a couple days later. I also think it’s odd she took a day off of work for the last minute garage sale, when she likely already had vacation time scheduled for the entire following week (I don’t remember exactly how long their trip was planned for).

Knowing now that the killer drove by at 2a, then went somewhere???? until
  • Early Morning [06:47:50 AM] The Nissan Frontier arrives and pulls into the neighborhood Princeton Place Drive from Kuykendahl Road and then drives into the Goddard School parking lot.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.
  • Early Morning [06:51:40 AM] The Nissan Frontier comes back into view and heads towards the Barraza home.
Did the killer know what Sergio drove? Was the killer located where he/she could see Sergio leave?

The more information released the more questions I have.

BBM, that’s what I’d initially thought and how I would do it, but her garage bays were closed, which seems odd to me. Anytime I’ve had a garage sale, everything is staged in the garage the night before and in the morning we drag some stuff out onto the drive while we sit inside the garage during the sale.

The front door being locked seems normal, not sure about it being alarmed but everyone I know with an alarm only sets it when their away or sleeping.

i guess it’s just odd to me that she didn’t leave a garage bay open if she intended to enter/exit that way during the sale.

I mean I also think it’s odd that they planned a garage sale the night before and didn’t advertise anywhere. I also think it’s odd they planned a last minute garage sale for $$$ for a trip that was already planned a couple days later. I also think it’s odd she took a day off of work for the last minute garage sale, when she likely already had vacation time scheduled for the entire following week (I don’t remember exactly how long their trip was planned for).

Knowing now that the killer drove by at 2a, then went somewhere???? until
  • Early Morning [06:47:50 AM] The Nissan Frontier arrives and pulls into the neighborhood Princeton Place Drive from Kuykendahl Road and then drives into the Goddard School parking lot.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.
  • Early Morning [06:51:40 AM] The Nissan Frontier comes back into view and heads towards the Barraza home.
Did the killer know what Sergio drove? Was the killer located where he/she could see Sergio leave?

The more information released the more questions I have.

BBM - I agree with both of these. We always had the table inside our garage with the bigger items all outside. I had a thought that maybe their garage was full with a lot of personal items they did NOT want to sell and had no where to store them, hard to keep people from snooping in things so they closed the garage.

But I still think it's odd she had the alarm set. My opinion only, but I get having all of the doors locked of course as you can't keep an eye on everything, but the alarm being set is just setting off a flag. Doesn't really have much to do with anything other than the possibility that something was already set into place/making her worry and feel for her safety.

My dad is our backup for our alarm system too and I can say honestly he probably would have done the same thing. If he couldn't get ahold of us he would have them send the cops and then probably head over also. I would do the same for his house.

I wonder why they moved from the school parking lot. I wonder if her husband had to drive by and the person was worried about being noticed or if they moved for a better view of her house. It does not sound random IMO, it sounds like they were watching and waiting. Ugh.

I truly hope this is solved at some point. It's so heartbreaking!

<modsnip> I can’t imagine LE not going through her computer, phone and social media. She definitely seemed to be a target though and not some random killing. Although it could have been random. There was a woman who was mentally disturbed and randomly attacked people, in the end shooting a complete stranger she thought was stalking her.

Megan Dix death: Woman charged with murder in 'random, heinous act'

Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn said it was a "random, heinous act." He added, "She gave no reason for why that situation occurred. She met the individual and within seconds of meeting her, she discharged the weapon."
I knew Megan- all she was doing was eating lunch

I think I have been following this case fairly closely, but I do not know about when Liz and her husband moved into the house they were living in when she was murdered. Has that been publicized anywhere? Could it be possible this was a targeted attack meant for a former resident of this house? That has been a scenario in several other crimes, including the Tate-LaBianca murders I believe.

With the multiple video sightings of the suspect’s truck, it seems obvious this neighborhood was targeted if not the victim herself. This case truly haunts me.

I think I have been following this case fairly closely, but I do not know about when Liz and her husband moved into the house they were living in when she was murdered. Has that been publicized anywhere? Could it be possible this was a targeted attack meant for a former resident of this house? That has been a scenario in several other crimes, including the Tate-LaBianca murders I believe.

With the multiple video sightings of the suspect’s truck, it seems obvious this neighborhood was targeted if not the victim herself. This case truly haunts me.

I found this on her social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member