TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the killer toyed with his victim. Dressing up as a ruse/disguise and engaging in conversation, knowing full-well that he was about to brutally gun down a fellow human being. What was he thinking in the moments between walking up and eventually firing 4 shots? Why linger? It tells me that this was not simply a assassination. If someone wanted only to kill her they would have said very little, if anything, and proceeded to fire away. No, there was more to this. The shooter appeared to be angry. About what we do not know, but this was a motivated killing. It was planned. It wasn't the first time the shooter has fired a gun (knew enough to use a revolver and not leave casings, as well). Was the shooter building up the courage to shoot? Was he savoring the moment, like someone at a restaurant waiting for a good meal? If they weren't from the inner circle, then from where? I realize that there is a lot of crime in Houston and that resources might be thin on any given investigation, but you would think that they have exhausted all links to family, friends and co-workers. This almost resembles a cartel hit, where the shooter is well-versed with weapons, brutal, effective but not overly professional, fearless, and with resources to surveille and clean up loose ends (like a vehicle).

I pray for the family that this gets resolved.
I honestly believe if this case got more attention it would result in an arrest(s) and a conviction!!!

There is no denying that probably thousands of locals and surrounding states have never heard of Liz's murder.

Agreed, that shooter used a firearm previously. Killer wasted no time to shoot Liz and aimed to kill instantly. Did the killer ask someone (explaining their target is an animal) prior to killing Liz about firearms and what kind of firearm would be best to use or did killer search the internet? Or both?

moo

This case needs more media attention!

Last edited:
I honestly believe if this case got more attention it would result in an arrest(s) and a conviction!!!

There is no denying that probably thousands of locals and surrounding states have never heard of Liz's murder.

Agreed, that shooter used a firearm previously. Killer wasted no time to shoot Liz and aimed to kill instantly. Did the killer ask someone (explaining their target is an animal) prior to killing Liz about firearms and what kind of firearm would be best to use or did killer search the internet? Or both?

moo

This case needs more media attention!
I don't understand why this case is not getting more media attention--- do you understand why?

Reporter asked S what was it like for you to see your wife being murdered?

At 17:37 time stamp: I’ve only seen it once…

Only once… really…? Moo.

Lying people falsely exaggerate some feelings but funny thing is they do not realize that they are actually revealing themselves . Interviewing is a hard task even for smart people let alone everyone.

But for me the sad part is my doubts about the investigation . Didn’t LE say, take a good look at what you see, could it be someone familiar or not? Haven't they watched it together a few times commenting, asking questions, etc.
JMO

Hi all,
Been a true crime buff many years but only recently came across liz case. As someone said upthread, this case really does need more publicity.
Anyway, I’m no wiser than anyone else but something about Sergios father being mentioned as a suspect raises an eye.

This almost resembles a cartel hit, where the shooter is well-versed with weapons, brutal, effective but not overly professional, fearless, and with resources to surveille and clean up loose ends (like a vehicle).

Right... it does feel like that. and based on what we know, it's almost like the killers perspective is "you don't know me, but you did me wrong."

So was someone slighted by Liz and also entangled with much more sinister characters that would want to "correct" the situation? I'm feeling all conspiratorial even considering gang/cartel type of influence but sheesh there's only so many avenues that check off all the boxes.

Liz and Sergio aren't rumored to have been involved with drugs - but what if they inconvenienced or offended someone of that ilk; possibly without even knowing.

Hi all,
Been a true crime buff many years but only recently came across liz case. As someone said upthread, this case really does need more publicity.
Anyway, I’m no wiser than anyone else but something about Sergios father being mentioned as a suspect raises an eye.

Welcome aboard! And good point - we've discussed at length Liz's coworkers and possible motives, but I haven't seen much discussion about Sergio's co-workers... Sergio was a crew chief - would someone who is POd at him about lack of assignments or somesuch decide to punish Sergio by killing his wife? (Or has associates that might?)

Welcome aboard! And good point - we've discussed at length Liz's coworkers and possible motives, but I haven't seen much discussion about Sergio's co-workers... Sergio was a crew chief - would someone who is POd at him about lack of assignments or somesuch decide to punish Sergio by killing his wife? (Or has associates that might?)
Hello and thank you. Imo it’s very possible but I’d say it was more personal. There were rows regarding money (as good a motive as any) bounced cheques etc. Don’t know much about the FIL/DIL relationship but it didn’t sound particularly healthy (Especially if Sergio genuinely believed his father could be behind the hit) I do believe whoever killed liz or was behind it, the reason was personal and they knew her well.

I’ve spent some time today looking at past clips regarding this case.
Clip about the reward shortly after her murder
Sergio’s mother and father are present during this interview. Why would Sergio want his father there if he suspected him from the start?

Dateline clip
Sergio says “the way the person moves and stuff, I believe it’s a woman. The quality of the video is hard to see details and stuff”. This does not sound like he’s watched it one single time.

Why did the shooter find it necessary to play it up, get into role playing, a fantasy, and attempt to make a point maybe before killing Liz? Why was it important that Liz know the logistics of why she was about to be killed? Who in their circle of friends matched this type of character/behavior or an acquaintance?

Moo

Hi all,

Family is definitely an area of investigation I would pursue if I were law enforcement. The whole sordid mess of Josh Powell and his father prove that there can be strange entanglements. That said, Of the cases I can recall where in-laws were involved in a murder, there were usually child custody issues in play, which is not the case here.

However, being Latina myself, I know that we often have very strong family ties and often extended families with many cousins that have cousins with friends who could be involved in unsavory activities. That's where I would also look for the truck, presuming they haven't already.

I decided to re-watch the Paula Zahn documentary and something caught my attention. It may be nothing, but thought I’d see if any of you had any input/theories to discuss. When the show is addressing the killer they flash an image of white boots. (is this intentional?). I’ve read through tons of discussions about the killers attire being associated with the cosplay star wars angle, but those boots that they flash on the screen are white knee high pvc construction boots.The guys who poured our concrete all had them on and they wore these disposable white long jackets when they were laying/working on our concrete. Once they were done they wadded the coats up and threw the coats away, leaving their clothes underneath clean and dry and they washed the boots down with a water hose before putting them back in their van. I realize producers use pictures and videos for tv shows, but those boots aren’t necessarily a popular prop, like maybe a white pair of knee high boots, so it caught my attention. Just thought I’d throw that out there to see if anyone else noticed. I’ve attached a picture of a similar boot.

Attachments

• 7EFC8BB6-3E68-486C-B2E0-A008EF24F5F8.jpeg
    7EFC8BB6-3E68-486C-B2E0-A008EF24F5F8.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 15
Also, if you haven’t revisited who killed LB page Timeline it appears to have an updated timeline. I noticed that it now shows that Liz’s brother and sister in law arrived at the hospital at 9:40 a.m., then her mom and dad arrived shortly after and SB arrived “afternoon”, then the neurological team did the further testing determining her outcome.

Why did the shooter find it necessary to play it up, get into role playing, a fantasy, and attempt to make a point maybe before killing Liz? Why was it important that Liz know the logistics of why she was about to be killed? Who in their circle of friends matched this type of character/behavior or an acquaintance?

Moo
I think he was playing it up for the camera, rather than for her.

JMO

The guys who poured our concrete all had them on and they wore these disposable white long jackets when they were laying/working on our concrete. Once they were done they wadded the coats up and threw the coats away, leaving their clothes underneath clean and dry and they washed the boots down with a water hose before putting them back in their van.

When I first watched the surveillance videos, I was thinking disposable rain poncho like the kind you might get at a theme park - but this sounds more on point, especially considering the boots if it ends up tying back to the FILs floor install business and possibly coworkers:

However, being Latina myself, I know that we often have very strong family ties and often extended families with many cousins that have cousins with friends who could be involved in unsavory activities

And what involvement might Liz have had with Sergio's co-workers and their families/friends - Christmas parties? Socializing? Obviously all MOO; just pulling at threads mostly aimlessly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88