TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kcookok, Jan 30, 2019.

1. BaffleMe

BaffleMe Well-Known Member

Was it confirmed?

Flicka1 likes this.

2. BaffleMe

BaffleMe Well-Known Member

I thought of a gang initiation, as well. Thanks for posting!

3. Eloise

Eloise Well-Known Member

Statistically, how many murders of random white women setting up a garage sale in a suburban environment gang initiations?

I don't mean that sarcastically. I do mean, how likely is that, versus being killed by (even by proxy) someone she knows? How often are 'gang initiation' killings done within gangland itself (the norm)?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Nancy19XX, j_in_c, BaffleMe and 11 others like this.
  4. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

That was my impression of the civil war and mountain man reenactors that I have come in contact with as well. The primary focus seemed to be on historical interests and socializing with not a lot of personal drama.

That aside, one seeming big difference in Legion co-splay is the tremendous costume requirements.

I imagine recreating an ultimate WWII German paratrooper with all the cool gear or the ultimate furry mountain man can get time consuming and expensive.

But many re-production historical uniforms etc. can be bought commercially. $300-350 dollars seems to buy a lot of gear easily and quickly. Surplus rifles, reproduction muskets cost more. But, I imagine many military reenactors like guns anyways.

In contrast, Legion cosplay seems to be is a different animal in regards to gear and personal invovlement:

- 501 uniforms and gear is hand made and individually tailored. Likewise, gear is hand cast, hand carved or hand machined.

- A You Tube video of costume building in Dallas looked like a movie set. Another video had a member saying that basic custom storm trooper costumes were $1,200 plus time. Another guy described working on his costume for months.

More time, sweat and money spent on costumes can increase the emotional buy in of participants. This increases the chance of a bad reaction if cos play does not work out for somebody "in deep".

Likewise, there are plenty of reenactment groups for Allies, Germans, Union or Rebels etc. I wonder if a "deep diver" getting booted from the cosplay 501 Legion has alot of other options to find the same experience?

5. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

Great post, Cryptic. I think that after such an investment...which could be onerous and require other sacrifices for some people...being booted out could be infuriating.

Do the other reenactment groups also appear at hospitals and funerals? Somehow I do not think so. So being part of this group has its ‘hero’ side and I don’t mean that disparagingly. But that can be a tremendous loss to a fragile ego if those heroic moments are taken away.

I believe EB’s group also attended the Star Wars movie opening, They become local celebrities with appearances like that. I wonder if EB chose who got to attend the special events in her role as Event coordinator? I imagine there was a selection process because the group was so large. Did someone feel repeatedly slighted?

This is an expensive hobby. I read some of the questions and answers online and it does seem rather competitive in regard to the costumes.

EB was selling a Star Wats costume helmet at the sale. I believe it’s in one of the pictures. I wonder if she sent an email 0r posted on their South Texas Star Garrison private blog the day before...about the garage sale. Would have certainly made that helmet more likely to sell.

Attached Files:

MajorHoople, JnRyan, Cryptic and 6 others like this.
  6. stmarysmead

There’s a clearer picture...one of the media used for their story line...haven’t found it again yet. The helmet is far right in the photo above.

MajorHoople, watcher9 and Flicka1 like this.
  7. stmarysmead

Looks like it was Sergios helmet for sale.

Attached Files:

8. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

idk hence my comment
    the original poster made the statement without IMO or JMO so that's why I questioned it

bears10 and Flicka1 like this.
  9. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

owner of what car?

Rush4087 and Flicka1 like this.
  10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

me neither

all I hear is the screams

watcher9, JnRyan, SAMS and 2 others like this.
  11. stmarysmead

I should have said “truck.”...the one used by the killer.

watcher9, Flicka1 and LadyL like this.
  12. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I feel profoundly skeptical about this article. I think his claim of ‘only three reasons for murder’ can only succeed by redefining everything that isn’t one of the three as ‘pursuit of power.’ Not going to be helpful in thinking about motives. For that matter, he could simplify even more and say that there’s only one motive/reason: ‘evil.’

EvaBell65, watcher9, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  13. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

got it
    I wondered if that's what you meant

stmarysmead and Flicka1 like this.
  14. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Bolding done by me

As she lay dying in her driveway, the suspect drove away, but then circled back and drove past the crime scene.
    “I feel they contacted somebody and said, ‘Hey, the job’s done,’” Harris County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Michael Ritchie says in this week’s issue of PEOPLE. “And then that person said, ‘Are you sure?’ And they turned around and drove by the scene one more time.”
    After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot ‘Star Wars’ Fan at Her Own Garage Sale

sl222, Alcina, SAMS and 10 others like this.
  15. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

sl222, Alcina, LadyL and 13 others like this.
  16. stmarysmead

This theory would eliminate SB and any number of people. LE would have long ago looked at their phone records and seen if a call came in around the early morning at the time the truck turned around and went back.

17. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Well-Known Member

The killer approached the house from the west. When they left they proceeded East then turned around and went back west. The exit to the subdivision is to the east and not far from Barraza’s house.

I have to wonder which direction Sergio drove when he left that day. If he left 4 minutes prior how was the killer certain he was gone? Clearly he knew about what time he’d be leaving and that Elizabeth was home. The killer must have parked a couple of houses down until Sergio left, right? Because of the direction the killer came from he didn’t wait at the front of the subdivision for Sergio to drive by.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  18. Yesiamapirate

Yesiamapirate Well-Known Member

Good point. We assume the killer waited and timed it for after Sergio left. But maybe it was just coincidental. Maybe they both would have been shot? The shooting was loud and brazen. Maybe Liz was not even the intended target? Oh I am slipping down a rabbit hole. Outside the box. Anyways, food for thought and MOO.

19. TacitusKilgore

TacitusKilgore Member

"The truck was seen in the neighborhood the night before and the morning of the murder, waiting for Barraza’s husband to leave. After the murder, it left and then passed back by the house again."

She was the target

Father of slain Tomball woman hopeful new clues help | khou.com

j_in_c, sl222, Kittybunny and 14 others like this.
  20. stmarysmead

‘Great post. Thank you! So is there any way to exit the subdivision from the west? If not, that’s a big deal. Why wouldn’t the killer get out of the subdivision as soon as possible? Did the truck belong to someone in the neighborhood and he had go back over there to change cars?

I believe that the truck was parked on a street that was perpendicular to EB’s street. I think he could watch the driveway from there and see when SB left. Would SB have turned right...in front of him to exit the subdivision on that perpendicular street? Did we ever have a map of the subdivision?

I feel that the killer was extremely comfortable with that truck. He/she needed a disguise just in case he was caught on camera...but he wasn’t worried about the truck leading LE back to him.