TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kcookok, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mysteryfan96

mysteryfan96 Member

I agree that the upcoming anniversary was, at the very least in small part, a factor in the timing of the murder (certainly explains “why now?”).

It could be a psycho ex of one of them, or it could even be someone in their lives now (his or her co-worker or Legion member who mistook friendly gestures by one of them as romantic feelings and thought something was there when it wasn’t). He or she could have casually mentioned to the killer that they had a romantic anniversary vacation upcoming, thus ruining the killer’s fantasy, and unknowingly set a brutal murder plan in motion. There are several such scenarios which could have played out where those closest to the victim would have had no idea.

2. Shin Masamura

Shin Masamura Him who is without syntax cast out the 1st pronoun

One other thing you might want to consider is that the shooter also knew she was off that day as she normally would have been working.. also, welcome to WS, everyone here has cases that brought them in.. mine was Jennifer Kesse.. glad you joined..

3. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

If any of her friends on facebook have posted pictures of themselves in that costume, maybe the killer is someone who wanted to implicate one of the puctured costume wearers. Someone who was very aware of the neighbor’s camera.
    Just a thought.

I so agree with those who think its a wig. Anyone who has long hair in real life would know what a hinderance it is when it falls over the face. If I wanted to shoot someone and not miss or trip while running back to the truck, a hat or ponytail would be a must!

4. Stella888

Stella888 On a Mission

My hair is just past my shoulders and I have to put it up just doing laundry or cooking. Seems risky to leave it down and possibly leave DNA at the crime scene.

5. Greysp

Greysp Active Member

6. Greysp

Greysp Active Member

Looks to me like a robbery at first. Victim hands over something. Maybe money. But I do t think that’s the main motive as I think the perp is wearing a thought out disguise. I think it’s a male with robe and wig. Runs like a male

Can anyone make out the footwear? Joggers and high socks?

zencompass and scadagirl28 like this.
  7. mysteryfan96

mysteryfan96 Member

Excellent point about knowing she would be home! The only way I could see the killer not knowing she would be home for the entire day would be if there was typically a window of time between when her husband left for work and when EB left for work (not sure if that was the case or not). Let’s say he normally left for work at around 6:45 and she didn’t leave until 7:30, and the killer had surveilled them enough days prior to know this, that might explain why the killer struck when he/she did.

Either way, it’s pretty clear that the killer did know she would be there at that time on that day, regardless of whether he/she knew about the garage sale. That person had to know this by watching the morning routine for several days in advance or by being told she had the day off by her or someone close to her.

8. Sprockett7701

Sprockett7701 Active Member

Was she selling any Star Wars memorabilia?

Could it be a crazy fan of Star Wars?Or had she not advertised prior to her demise?

Terrible tale whatever it turns out to be...

RIP Elizabeth

zencompass, scadagirl28 and Betty P like this.
  9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Bump for Liz. I remain puzzled as to why the killer stopped her/his truck in the street instead of simply pulling up into Liz's driveway. The only reason I can come with might be to try to avoid surveillance cameras the Barrazas' had that could pick up the truck's license plate, which has been already mentioned here. If that was the case, then I certainly would believe the killer did wear a disguise, for the very same reason. She/he wouldn't have known for sure that their might be other cameras neighbors had, but would know the Barraza's had one, if they had been to the home before.
    I'm thinking like some of you- there will be an arrest soon. Let's hope so!

10. Piney Woods

Piney Woods Active Member

I'm probably overthinking but possibly it was to maintain a quick evasion route. Stop vehicle in street, run up, shoot and drive off.

11. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

I think they were looking for witnesses before striking

12. Ajs1004

Ajs1004 Active Member

She was selling a Stormtrooper’s helmet, according to the news. I don’t know what else. It doesn’t look like the killer took anything though.

13. Axiom88

Axiom88 Member

One thing I recalled reading in the media reports early on was that she did this every year. One of her neighbors helped her the year prior and said she sold "nice things". If that's the case then the advertisement requirement might not be necessary if she did it to raise money for her anniversary. It also lends credence to the idea it was someone close who knew the anniversary date.

Reported here Woman shot point blank while setting up garage sale in Tomball area

Novice speculation though.

14. Axiom88

Axiom88 Member

In houston, a lot of people that work in o&g fields often get options to work 9 hour days and get every other friday off. Not sure if EB is in that field or not, but if so it would explain how it could be predictable that she would be home

15. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Active Member

Seems like regardless as to if people knew she was having a garage sale, she would likely still have been home as the shooting was before 7. Maybe the plan was originally different than what we saw.

ilovematt, LadyL, zencompass and 2 others like this.
  16. twt11

twt11 New Member

Does anyone know if the yardsale was advertised anywhere? It appears that the perp was waiting on the husband to leave. Odd that they knew his schedule.

zencompass likes this.
  17. Medstudies

Medstudies Gone

“Authorities say the Barrazas didn't publicize the garage sale and only put up signs about it that morning.” ... from
    Murdered Tomball woman was about to go on anniversary trip

tnith and zencompass like this.
  18. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Dear Medstudies,

Thank you for the link!

I was shocked when I read about the time between when her husband drove off and the truck showed up - 4 minutes!

From the news article you shared with us (above):

"The surveillance video also shows Barraza's husband leaving the home around 6:48 a.m. and the shooter's truck pulling up at 6:52 a.m."

19. Ajs1004

Ajs1004 Active Member

I wonder how their neighborhood works. would it be possible that her husband passed this truck on his way out of the neighborhood?

20. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Great question!

Cedar Walk Drive ends in a cul de sac and has only a street or two connecting with it.

There is a good map in the following news article:

Woman gunned down while setting up for garage sale dies; suspect sought

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Medstudies and wary like this.