TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in a couple costuming groups, including the 501st. I never met Elizabeth but know many people who did know her. I feel like the cosplay/costuming angle is really possible. There can be a lot of drama in the 501. Oh my God it would surprise you. One time I was at a July 4th parade and witnessed another 501 member lose his temper majorly and curse out our group leader. Like got in her face and physically threatened her. Yes it’s laughable but I know first hand there are some extremely immature people who join. He was banned from our group but kept showing up to events anyway. Cray!

I have no idea why this happened to Elizabeth and I’m not saying it was a costume club member. But I’d look at who was in the local crew and get a feel for what kind of conflict if any was ongoing. I watched the video, only once. Disturbing to say the least. It almost feels retaliatory. And I really don’t get any bad vibes from her husband at all.

I have a ton of friends who are into costuming but I feel like if I said any of this it would piss people off. So I’m saying it here. You do meet some strange people through the club. There have been times my husband and I would exchange glances and just smile because of the weirdos we were taking to. That maybe sounds mean but it’s true.

Anyway I’m very sad this girl died the way she did. Whatever the situation, she didn’t deserve that.

I’m in a couple costuming groups, including the 501st. I never met Elizabeth but know many people who did know her. I feel like the cosplay/costuming angle is really possible. There can be a lot of drama in the 501. Oh my God it would surprise you. One time I was at a July 4th parade and witnessed another 501 member lose his temper majorly and curse out our group leader. Like got in her face and physically threatened her. Yes it’s laughable but I know first hand there are some extremely immature people who join. He was banned from our group but kept showing up to events anyway. Cray!

I have no idea why this happened to Elizabeth and I’m not saying it was a costume club member. But I’d look at who was in the local crew and get a feel for what kind of conflict if any was ongoing. I watched the video, only once. Disturbing to say the least. It almost feels retaliatory. And I really don’t get any bad vibes from her husband at all.

I have a ton of friends who are into costuming but I feel like if I said any of this it would piss people off. So I’m saying it here. You do meet some strange people through the club. There have been times my husband and I would exchange glances and just smile because of the weirdos we were taking to. That maybe sounds mean but it’s true.

Anyway I’m very sad this girl died the way she did. Whatever the situation, she didn’t deserve that.

Thanks so much for sharing. I do think the cos play group will have a tendency to have a higher than normal percentage of interesting personality types, even personality disorders.

Can you answer a question for me? How do you get to pick your character? Is it what’s needed in the group or what you want?

I think the second driveway shooting might be road rage but not Elizabeth.

Road rage would be quick. Not preparing with costume and such.

Just my opinion

I don't see a costume. I see possibly a robe, but yeah, road rage doesn't make sense unless she went somewhere that morning.

My father, who was a police detective, always said the hardest case to solve is when a stranger walks up to someone random, shoots them and then slips away. I still feel this is solvable, but if this wasn't personal, it just got a lot harder

My father, who was a police detective, always said the hardest case to solve is when a stranger walks up to someone random, shoots them and then slips away. I still feel this is solvable, but if this wasn't personal, it just got a lot harder

This makes sense, now that you mention it. I felt sure this would be resolved quickly (the truck, the shooter, and the actual murder was on video for goodness sake!), but updates have definitely been slow. Praying for the truth to be revealed and for justice to be served in this case.

This makes sense, now that you mention it. I felt sure this would be resolved quickly (the truck, the shooter, and the actual murder was on video for goodness sake!), but updates have definitely been slow. Praying for the truth to be revealed and for justice to be served in this case.
I felt the same. I also don't feel this could possibly be random.

It didn't take long for LE to figure out who shot Frankie Cali outside his house last week, which was captured on his home surveillance system.

Hopefully LE can find video from other camera systems and back track where the truck came from or went after the shooting and get some information that would lead to a suspect.

You can't go far anymore without being captured on video.

JMO

There was supposed to be another interview with Liz's husband on abc13 Houston, but I never saw it and can't find the link. This would have been within the last two weeks.
Yes there was a new video about this but they never posted it on their website or anywhere online. I heard that Sergio claims in the interview to have video footage of the shooting on his ring doorbell.

I'm curious on other women shooters and your take on this.....do you ever shoot one handed? I grew up around guns, I shoot often and I have my conceal carry license. I have never shot one handed, nor do I think I would. I've replayed in my mind several times what I would do if there was an active shooter and I had to shoot. I am 99% sure I would use BOTH hands.
I can't imagine not using both hands....the guns were just too powerful.
Man or woman, the standard stance for trained individuals is two hands.

Years ago, I very received extensive pistol training. As my agency prided itself on marksmanship, we received a lot of training in various stances, including one handed. But.... the presumed stance was always two handed. The instructors did not tolerate what they called "Gun Smoke" or "Gangs'ta" (OK, PC was not their forte) stances unless the scenario specifically called for it.

In short, the two handed stance was drilled into us until it became near instinctual. I think both of you are right in implying that a trained individual would probably near instinctualy use two hands, even if two hands were not truly needed.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a shooter, but do have some familiarity with some guns. If I had to guess, which I do, I think the killer was using a .22 handgun. Even those can kick a bit, but that is what we might see in the video.
Those look like a pretty big flashes for a .22, imo. If it was a larger weapon, the killer was most likely a man with stronger hands and able to hold and fire a .380 or larger on target with one hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member