Found Deceased TX - Emily Wade, 38, Ennis, Ellis County, 5 Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

Scary. Imagine it at night

2. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Have they said when they will search for the car, or did they today?

3. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

If it's true she had a flip phone, then her car might have had manual crank windows (Some people prefer that and it is cheaper). Or she might have had something in the glove box to break a window in case of emergency.
    I keep one of these in my car: [​IMG]
    Ready America Auto Emergency Hammer and Seat Belt Cutter-75403 - The Home Depot

4. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

I'm not sure, but they might be waiting for the water to go down more. MOO.
    Last tweet I saw said the river was 25 feet deep in some places. :eek:

neesaki, Steelslady, Alcina and 9 others like this.
  5. Choochoobella

Choochoobella Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the excellent information. Supporting your scenario that Emily's car may have entered the water and immediately started heading downstream is the fact that the search crew said there are no marks on anything in the area, not on a tree, not along the riverbanks, etc. That leaves the biggest mystery, which is how did Emily get out of the car? If the car entered the fast-flowing water, unless the window was opened, how did Emily get out? (Maybe Emily did have a window-breaking device as Gardener 1850 suggested.) We'll know more if/when the car is found and the window is examined.

6. Concernedmamaof3

Concernedmamaof3 Well-Known Member

We keep one of those in our cars and I had thought of that, but then realized if Wade told her family about his suspicions they would probably mention mom having one in the car. MOO

7. Linskid

Linskid Well-Known Member

I don’t keep one of those in my car, but I have always heard that you should kick or use whatever you have available to break the window if your car is going underwater. Maybe she did break out the window. I guess we won’t know until they find her car.

8. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the head rest of newer vehicles can be pulled out and the spokes of that headrest are to be used to break a window. That's all I got, just an FYI.
    adding: thought about this for a sec. Please check your headrests to make sure they are able to be pulled out and there are metal spokes to use. I don't want anyone assuming all cars are made this way.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    wary, kimpage, Steelslady and 19 others like this.
  9. vaporlass

vaporlass Well-Known Member

Toney Wade, of Cajun Coast Search said on Nancy Grace podcast that others believe they have found car on sonar ... but Wade wasn’t convinced they found it. I’m sure it will be checked ASAP.
    He is also very skeptical since Emily was not found in the vehicle, he has never found body and vehicle separated in all of his searches, he said - BUT as others have posted ... it is possible to get out of vehicle.

10. asmi106082

asmi106082 Well-Known Member

The force of the rushing water could have broken out her windows.

11. vaporlass

So there was NO water over the road or are you saying there wasn’t enough to drag her vehicle downstream that night?
    I’m still suspicious ... I’m trying to be open-minded BUT when I put myself in her shoes - it doesn’t make sense to me why she would NOT have backed up IF the water was that strong. Everything I’ve seen of the location seems to show she had several feet to realize it was flooded (if it was) and that it was dangerous.

12. vaporlass

I went to Google Earth and drove down the road - Ensign Road AKA NW County Road 1250.
    In the pictures it is very clear that there is a turn around right before the bridge - on right side and it is elevated and would NOT be flooded. Red Gate.
    You can also see that there are several feet - a car length- of protection as you go down the hill to cross the bridge. You have to go down hill to cross this bridge from either direction.
    Wouldn’t EW have realized “I didn’t cross a bridge on my way to friends house!” backed up and turned around at that point? The turn around was only a few feet behind her.
    If she did pull DOWN into the water that would have been there if it was flooding heavily - per other pictures posted - she should have been in deep water 2-3ft before she reached bridge but protected by the earthen sides - if car failed at this point - she should have still been in protected area so that she wasn’t swept downstream if she left vehicle. JMO and some facts. You can go to Google Earth to view. Photos won’t load for some reason.

Cardinal47, zecats, travelbug and 3 others like this.
  13. Bill Carson

Bill Carson Well-Known Member

When I was in college, my roommate and I went driving around town one night after a bad flash flood had come through. And this town had an underpass that went under a railroad crossing, and it was filled with water, almost to the top of the railroad bridge over the road---the rain gutters were either clogged or couldn't keep up. The city had put construction barriers up to block the road, and they had those old-fashioned blinking orange lights on the top. Well we were out of the car, standing there looking at the all the water, when a car came up, veered around the barriers, drove straight into the water and started sinking. My roommate and I looked at each other and said, "What do we do now?" (This was years before cell phones.) We sprang into action---I jumped in my car and drove a few blocks over to the police station and he stayed to try to help the driver get out of the car. By the time I got back a few minutes later, my roommate and the driver were standing on the side of the road, waiting for police and a wrecker. I don't know what the driver was thinking--I guess just "why is this barrier here, it is night time and there's no construction and I don't feel like driving around." Clearly they didn't anticipate the underpass being filled with water.

But my point is that police barriers don't always work--even if there had been one. And then also, drivers get so used to seeing those flood gauge signs and low water crossing signs, and at some point you don't think of them as warning signs any more.

14. vaporlass

Unless there is some other Chambers Creek bridge on Ensign Road ... you can see the “turn around” spot and even where the grass is missing from people turning around there - right before the bridge on right side of road.

Attached Files:

15. Bill Carson

Bill Carson Well-Known Member

That is such a strange road. I have to keep reminding myself that it is just a county road and not a state highway. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of road signs, road markings, etc. It was just a road designed for locals to get between their farms and homes and the farm-t0-market highway. But this is one of a few roads that cross that creek.

16. Concernedmamaof3

Concernedmamaof3 Well-Known Member

Would you be able to see that in pitch dark? I seriously don’t know. VERY curious what the autopsy results will be!

17. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Jmo, Nancy Grace was not going to put someone on her show who said that this was likely accidental...that is not who she is. Gotta stir up controversy...jmo

18. JC40

JC40 Well-Known Member

So the co-worker has been cleared according to LE. I guess my point is. What harm would it do if he just came out and said on camera or a written statement "i didn't/did not have anything to do with Emily's death.

It's simple and it's easy, no harm done.

Steelslady and StarEyes like this.
  19. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

This guy was the one who led the searches for Cajun Group, and he is experienced in searching, even for flood victims. Definitely not just some guy who would stir up controversy. He was pretty tight with the family and the community while the group was in town. His opinion is based, seemingly on his experience.

You're right that Nancy Grace would have someone on her show that expresses a controversial opinion though.

JMO

20. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

It's still intriguing that she chose this way to go home after her pizza/movie evening. She most likely did not arrive that way, or in the daylight she would have seen the flooding.

I'm of the opinion (and this is not victim shaming in the slightest) that maybe they also had some beer and/ or wine with the pizza. They are adults after all and why would they not, and maybe her judgment was clouded a bit...or at least her focus to navigate the direction home and handle the situation when and if the car entered the flooded creek.

JMO. ..and what might make sense for an adult who navigated her way out there with no problem and had a daughter and mom waiting for her to return at a given time. Simple human mistakes can be costly at times, as in this case. Again MOO