TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

I am beginning to think that. Based on his history and connections, I think he did have help. He obviously planned this to have some type of weapon with him on this transport, and to have been so successful so far.

I agree, he seems to have connections and one of those articles mentions him calling on his partners for help before.

6:31 pm TODAY Sat 5/14
“Our latest report on the manhunt for Gonzalo Lopez.
The reward for information leading to his capture has been raised to $50,000.
Officers have a perimeter around a 4-mile area near Centerville, Texas.”

They must believe he is still in the area.

Earlier Brian Entin tweeted this at 3:06 pm TODAY Sat 5/14
“The last sighting of Texas escapee Gonzalo Lopez was Thurs afternoon - officer spotted him under a tree in his boxers. Authorities believe he is still within their perimeter. He is a Mexican mafia member w/ gang connections in the US and Mexico, TX Dept. of Criminal Justice says.”

They DO believe he is still there somewhere. Without clothes?

It’s been four days since a convicted murderer being transported on a Texas prison bus was able to remove his handcuffs, cut through a metal door to an armed driver, temporarily take control of the vehicle and flee on foot, according to prison officials.

Some newer info from a few hours ago:
Leon County residents on edge as manhunt for escaped inmate reaches day 4
TDCJ says only when they have confirmed information that Lopez has moved on is when they might suspend the search or look elsewhere.

“When we get intelligence that tells us he’s not here. And right now we’re not getting anything that tells us otherwise,” said Robert Hurst with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Leon and Centerville ISDs were open Monday.

Article above includes this tweet with video the day of the escape:

Texas search for escaped killer Gonzalo Lopez enters Day 6; largest concentrated manhunt in decades

There are approximately 500 personnel involved in the overall search" for Lopez, the spokesman wrote. "Besides the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, we have the US Marshals, Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Rangers, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Leon County sheriffs department with other regional and local LEOs who are assisting."

KPRC had reported Monday that the search involved more than 300 officers both on foot and on horseback canvassing an area of Leon County, just west of Centerville, some 115 miles from Houston. The search is concentrated on a triangular area spanning more than 100 square miles of the east Texas countryside, WFAA reported.
BBM above
That’s quite a lot of ground to cover, most of it rural.
I know they said they are not going to shop until they find him, but realistically, how long can they use this much manpower to find one guy?
With a $50,000 reward, I wonder if some bounty hunters are on the scene too?

Texas search for escaped killer Gonzalo Lopez enters Day 6; largest concentrated manhunt in decades

BBM above
That’s quite a lot of ground to cover, most of it rural.
I know they said they are not going to shop until they find him, but realistically, how long can they use this much manpower to find one guy?
With a $50,000 reward, I wonder if some bounty hunters are on the scene too?
If he's still in there, what is he doing for food? IIRC, one of the articles said there were streams in the area, so he could have access to water, but he'll be starving before long. If he's not in there, how'd he get away? Did he have an accomplice, did he hitchhike?? They are using dogs in the search; you'd think the dogs would pick up his scent...

This guy would have done well on Survivor.

more specifics:
law enforcement agencies are searching for the inmate near Highway 7 westbound in Leon County approximately 1.5 miles from Interstate 45.
I have driven Hwy 7 from Marquez to Centerville on my way to Crockett & the Hwy 21 cutoff many times. It's quite a scenic drive. Mostly four lane now probably (widening was still in progress my last time thru in 2019).

While that highway is well-traveled by vehicles, it is mostly woods and open fields on both sides. Closer to Centerville there is an exotic animal property with high fencing on the north side. The four-way stop at Concord midway between Marquez and Centerville has an old grocery store that is closed. This stretch of country would be mostly privately owned property.

He has probably been picked up and moved on. If not, skeeters or a wild hog might have gotten him. I jest but I really fear for folks living on the farm roads around there. All the little churches need to be checked, too, but I guess that's obvious.

Just thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

JMO

Search continues for Gonzalo Lopez, authorities working around the clock

Tuesday, May 17, 2022​

5 p.m. - TDCJ PIO Robert Hurst spoke today at the 5 p.m. press conference that many members of the community are donating food and drinks to the search teams. Local restaurants are also stepping up and helping feed law enforcement officers who are searching for Lopez.
Hurst said there is no evidence to suggest Gonzalo Lopez is dead. He said there is no evidence to suggest he is no longer in Leon County. Hurst said the officers who are searching are well experienced and they know how to handle the situation.

I grew up in South Texas and that Mexican mafia is scary stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Mexico by now. That "Avoid Hitchhikers" sign posted upthread is chilling.

ETA: Pulled up Centerville on Google maps and it shows "Road Closure" for a large portion of Hwy 7 out of Centerville.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back