TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

LE states he most likely is still in the 5 square mile area, 7-8 days possibly with no food and water, daytime temps 90+. IMO If GL is still in this area, he has got to be in pretty bad shape physically and mentally. If he somehow got out of this area, he carjacked someone or had help. I wonder if there have been any reports of missing persons in this area of Texas?

LE sta tes he most likely is still in the 5 square mile area, 7-8 days possibly with no food and water, daytime temps 90+. IMO If GL is still in this area, he has got to be in pretty bad shape physically and mentally. If he somehow got out of this area, he carjacked someone or had help. I wonder if there have been any reports of missing persons in this area of Texas?
I think any carjacking would have at least made social media. I haven't seen anything on Facebook.

There are oil/NG wells in that area where a company vehicle might be taken during an inspection visit (but nothing has been reported).

There is a Jesuit prep school with retreat cabins south of Centerville on the west side of Leona. By now, I would expect to have heard if he accessed these.

Google Maps shows some hunting camps south of Hwy 7 where he might find supplies or a place to hide. Maybe even clothing.

How far could he have gotten on foot, assuming he hasn't been pickup up by the Mexican Mafia or somesuch? See article below.

Did he find an empty home with supplies & maybe a vehicle to hotwire? It's very rural but the farm roads have properties north of Hwy 7 toward Jewett. Where my family has property in East Texas, a man has a weekend home where a person could hide out. It may even have a landline. Access to a phone means they are wasting time on a manhunt near Centerville. I wonder if they have looked into maintained phone landlines?

Social media belief is 90% he has been picked up and is drinking beer on a beach in Mexico. Many are laughing at the search because those who know the area know unless he found a property with supplies, he's eating blackberries & food from gardens. And we're on day 9.

They need to get the $50,000 reward published in Mexico. An informant even on the "inside" might find someone to report him for that cash.

If they don't find him in the next week, I would say he's found a way to Mexico. I do respect the continuing efforts west of Centerville. At least they might get some clues even if he's not apprehended there.

'Green Berets of prison gangs '

Sam Houston State University Criminal Justice professor Mitchel Roth writes books about inmate escapes and prison gangs.

“It’s a pretty much backwoods area," Roth said. "There’s not a whole lot of people living out there ... lots of places to hide and that sort of thing, but I would suspect he’s already gone somewhere and that he’s had help from somebody else.”

Roth says it makes sense because the gang Lopez is affiliated with teaches its members to live like soldiers.

“The Mexican Mafia is kind of one of the old school prison gangs," Roth said. "One of the first ... it’s a very elite type of prison gang where they don’t just take everybody and they treat everybody like they’re in a paramilitary unit.”

Which makes the idea of surviving in the woods, and evading capture for more than one week, more understandable.

“I heard one of them say that they’re like the Green Berets of prison gangs," Roth said.

 MOO

UPDATE - Highway 7 is reopened near Centerville after being closed for more than a week

Officials termed their continuing search as a “new, expanded phase,” but say some personnel will remain in the county to conduct strategic searches outside the original search perimeter.

In a Friday afternoon press conference, TDCJ spokesperson Robert Hurst said the search would now be considered “statewide, and as far as we can go to get [Lopez] back into custody.” Hurst continued that people in Leon County impacted by the search could return to their normal routine, but should contact local law enforcement if they see things out of the ordinary.

Per some newscasts this morning, LE is shifting its search parameters somewhat. Apparently closer to/toward I45/ Centerville. This from assorted blurbs and no official outline of exact dimensions encompassed.
Per my take on the situation; collected by following the news, there were 2 LE on the bus. Driver up front and a guard in the rear. It has not been made clear exactly how that bus was arranged. Most of them have a heavy mesh partition across the width; just behind the drivers seat, with a opening in the middle. This closed by sliding half doors meeting in the center and secured there.
A similar set up is near the back, allowing space for seating the rear guard and in some configurations a RV type toilet is contained in an offset corner side, exterior to the guards caged space.

From various news accounts by LE to TV and other media, the driver was armed with a pistol and the rear guard with a shotgun. Evidenced by their statements of Lopez attempting to take the drivers weapon, but could not remove it from it holster. They reported the guard used his shotgun to burst the rear tires of the bus as Lopez attempted to drive away at one point.

There have been vague references to Lopez "escaping the/his cage" and cutting thru the metal partition to the driver. There are provisions in some busses for sort of individual caged compartments (like a steel mesh phone booth) to further isolate/contain the more violent/dangerous inmates.
I doubt this on this shorter/smaller bus. More that it was referring to the center compartment as the "cage".
In any instance; he has to slip his handcuffs and shackles (if in use), escape his individual cage(if in one) creep forward (to avoid observation by the rear guard) and "cut" thru metal mesh into the driver compartment/area. Then attack the driver and the ensuing fight for his weapon.

Look at the security camera 2 stills; prior to loading, in which he visibly covers the black box on his hand cuffs with his left hand. I think the cuffs were not locked nor the black box.
I think he was only handcuffed and seated in regular seating. I think there was no shackles on his legs.
Further, that the portion of mesh he came thru had been "prepared" by inside help or some very efficient cutting tools pre planted by inside help.

It was as simple as flipping the black box open, releasing the cuffs, Slithering down, pulling the "doctored" panel back (or quickly cutting) and crawl thru to a surprised driver.

Genius he may be, but picking the black box lock, the hand cuffs lock, crunchy-crunchy cutting a man sized panel in the steel mesh (even with excellent quality mini bolt cutters), all take time. Time he did not have before the driver sensed activity or the rear guard missed his head in his forward view.

This was one well organized and well financed escape plan.

Per some newscasts this morning, LE is shifting its search parameters somewhat. Apparently closer to/toward I45/ Centerville. This from assorted blurbs and no official outline of exact dimensions encompassed.
Per my take on the situation; collected by following the news, there were 2 LE on the bus. Driver up front and a guard in the rear. It has not been made clear exactly how that bus was arranged. Most of them have a heavy mesh partition across the width; just behind the drivers seat, with a opening in the middle. This closed by sliding half doors meeting in the center and secured there.
A similar set up is near the back, allowing space for seating the rear guard and in some configurations a RV type toilet is contained in an offset corner side, exterior to the guards caged space.

From various news accounts by LE to TV and other media, the driver was armed with a pistol and the rear guard with a shotgun. Evidenced by their statements of Lopez attempting to take the drivers weapon, but could not remove it from it holster. They reported the guard used his shotgun to burst the rear tires of the bus as Lopez attempted to drive away at one point.

There have been vague references to Lopez "escaping the/his cage" and cutting thru the metal partition to the driver. There are provisions in some busses for sort of individual caged compartments (like a steel mesh phone booth) to further isolate/contain the more violent/dangerous inmates.
I doubt this on this shorter/smaller bus. More that it was referring to the center compartment as the "cage".
In any instance; he has to slip his handcuffs and shackles (if in use), escape his individual cage(if in one) creep forward (to avoid observation by the rear guard) and "cut" thru metal mesh into the driver compartment/area. Then attack the driver and the ensuing fight for his weapon.

Look at the security camera 2 stills; prior to loading, in which he visibly covers the black box on his hand cuffs with his left hand. I think the cuffs were not locked nor the black box.
I think he was only handcuffed and seated in regular seating. I think there was no shackles on his legs.
Further, that the portion of mesh he came thru had been "prepared" by inside help or some very efficient cutting tools pre planted by inside help.

It was as simple as flipping the black box open, releasing the cuffs, Slithering down, pulling the "doctored" panel back (or quickly cutting) and crawl thru to a surprised driver.

Genius he may be, but picking the black box lock, the hand cuffs lock, crunchy-crunchy cutting a man sized panel in the steel mesh (even with excellent quality mini bolt cutters), all take time. Time he did not have before the driver sensed activity or the rear guard missed his head in his forward view.

I want to see the inside of the bus. Because it doesn't add up and frankly, the explanation given makes it seem easy to escape, which is not a comforting thought.

To take someone so dangerous on a long ride to a doctor also seems "off." I'd like to understand procedures better. Too many loopholes if only two officers go on these journeys with murdering lifers connected to Mexican gangs.

TDCJ needs to have a review by the state legislature. Hearings that produce changes that are enforced are needed.

JMO

Last edited:
I want to see the inside of the bus. Because it doesn't add up and frankly, the explanation given makes it seem easy to escape, which is not a comforting thought.

To take someone so dangerous on a long ride to a doctor also seems "off." I'd like to understand procedures better. Too many loopholes if only two officers go on these journeys with murdering lifers connected to Mexican gangs.

TDCJ needs to have a review by the state legislature. Hearings that produce changes that are enforced are needed.

JMO
I think there are "rules" that hamper secure transport of inmates, led by those who have never been close up and personal to violence. We must be humane in the adjustment of cuffs and leg chains, so as to not cause discomfort to the inmate.

That said; left to the practical, cuff him snugly, transport chain around waist to cuffs pulling arms into belly, shackle him snugly using short chain length. Chain snug from shackles up to waist chain. All this assuming he is standing and will be. If in doubt; toss to floor on side and rework the shackles/waist chain length to bend his knees upward. You could toss him in the back seat crossways and haul from Miami to NYC and never have to recheck. (Based on quality equipment and you personally doing the hookup) A bounty hunter would probably transport him in the trunk to avoid any complaints enroute.

Above BBM
It certainly seems highly unlikely that one man could accomplish the lock-picking and cutting of the steel mesh without being detected by the rear guard. If the escape was planned, then he may very well have been picked up by an associate on the outside. Like I posted before, if he's still out there, what is he doing for food and water?

What does LE know that has caused them to shift their search parameters somewhat? Did GL have a phone with him?

At this point, I am going to be very surprised if LE catches him anywhere near Centerville, TX. But I have been surprised before. JMHO

I wonder if his body is lying under some brush are whatever?, be on the lookout for Buzzards, if this is the case they will find him when the farmers go to till and plant the land. Hoping this is correct for the sake of the public and future victims

I wonder if his body is lying under some brush are whatever?, be on the lookout for Buzzards, if this is the case they will find him when the farmers go to till and plant the land. Hoping this is correct for the sake of the public and future victims
We’ve seen this over and over where it’s like finding a needle in a haystack when looking for a body over a huge chunk of land like this, so this is my guess too. The fact that LE said they saw him hiding under a tree a few hours after the escape also makes me think he didn’t have anyone waiting to immediately get him out of the area.

His cartel connection is the only thing that gives me pause.

I have always entertained the possibility that one of the shots fired at him did strike, and he may have been wounded enough to have to hide in place and have bled out. Carrion circles would be worth close observation.

We’ve seen this over and over where it’s like finding a needle in a haystack when looking for a body over a huge chunk of land like this, so this is my guess too. The fact that LE said they saw him hiding under a tree a few hours after the escape also makes me think he didn’t have anyone waiting to immediately get him out of the area.

His cartel connection is the only thing that gives me pause.
I've wondered how and why LE was unable to catch up with him after they saw him hiding under a tree.

Certainly, without food and water and without help, it is improbable that he is still alive in there. The questions are: was he able to find food and water, and did he escape with help? Did he receive that help from a cartel associate, a relative/friend, or did he simply get to another road and hitchhike?

At this point, your guess is as good as mine. I check for news about this fugitive every day and get nothing. I hope they find him soon. JMHO

I've wondered how and why LE was unable to catch up with him after they saw him hiding under a tree.

Certainly, without food and water and without help, it is improbable that he is still alive in there. The questions are: was he able to find food and water, and did he escape with help? Did he receive that help from a cartel associate, a relative/friend, or did he simply get to another road and hitchhike?

At this point, your guess is as good as mine. I check for news about this fugitive every day and get nothing. I hope they find him soon. JMHO
I think the timetable; for a normally healthy person without water, is about 3 days. Without food about 21 days. It has been stated there were numerous ponds and creeks throughout the area. It is cattle grazing land. There will be water; quality may be questionable, but life sustaining. Desperate times call for lowering ones standards. He could well be getting water but food is another matter.

If he is still in there and hiding, then the water problem has been solved.

He could be injured from a guards shot, suffering the lack of good water, or no edible food. Any combination will weaken him and limit any movement, then death.

So, it is a waiting game. In desperation, he moves for food and is found. The 3 day water requirement is past, the 21 day food requirement is (6/5) drawing nearer and supposedly affecting his physical abilities and mental state to continue to evade.

By 6/5 we should have some insight, found wandering into open or as a body by carrion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back