TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

I hope there are not more victims in the Centerville area.
He successfully evaded capture for 3 weeks, until he murdered a family including 3 children TODAY, and stole a truck.
LE was right to concentrate their search in the area where he escaped.
They said several times they had no evidence he had left the area.
And still he eluded them for 3 weeks.
I am grateful he was found before he left Texas.
But he did not need to kill that family.
This tragedy is going to get even harder when we have a name and faces for these victims.
If only he had been found a day earlier……

Apparently he is dead. I'm one of these people who always wants these guys captured alive, as it's just over way too fast for him.

Disappointed he's dead but now I just want confirmation that authorities found the white truck, so we know that he was responsible for the murders of the Houston family.

Apparently he is dead. I'm one of these people who always wants these guys captured alive, as it's just over way too fast for him.

My preference would be that these 5 family members, and all of the other victims he killed before, were still alive. I have mixed feelings about him, as he appears to have been a completely heartless, cold-blooded killer. Part of me thinks, 'Good riddance. At least he will not have the opportunity to kill again.' However, I feel like I want/need to know how he survived for the weeks he was on the run. I agree with those who think he found this empty house a while ago, broke in, and hid out there for most of the time he was missing. Will we ever know for sure?

Evil. It truly does exist.
<modsnip>

I am heartsick about these deaths. I would like to know how one person murdered an entire family.
Did they have no defence?
Why is this not all over the news?

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference would be that these 5 family members, and all of the other victims he killed before, were still alive. I have mixed feelings about him, as he appears to have been a completely heartless, cold-blooded killer. Part of me thinks, 'Good riddance. At least he will not have the opportunity to kill again.' However, I feel like I want/need to know how he survived for the weeks he was on the run. I agree with those who think he found this empty house a while ago, broke in, and hid out there for most of the time he was missing. Will we ever know for sure?
They may be able to piece it together, especially if he was in fact in that house the entire time. Either way, you're going to have break-ins where he left his DNA, and he had to eat something (how much food was consumed in that house)?

Escaped inmate shot, killed during foot-chase after possibly killing 1 adult, 4 children from the Houston-area, TDCJ says

Details have been updated - now says 4 children and 1 adult found murdered.
4 children!!
The story has been that LE received a call that a relative was unable to reach an elderly person and requested a welfare check. I am guessing the elderly person was the adult found dead. I am wondering if it was 4 teens who made the trip from Houston for an end-of-school weekend with an adult. Most reports have specified ”family” were the victims.
I am bracing for the identifications of those murdered.

Also this:
Bodies were discovered around 6 pm last night.
This comes after investigators found 5 bodies inside a home in Centerville near where Lopez escaped Thursday around 6pm.

Somehow this guy was able to go undetected for 3 weeks in spite of a massive manhunt in the area. I realize that in the rural, wooded and flat terrain, it could be a needle-in-a-haystack search. There are a finite number of dwellings in the area, and it’s a reasonable early assumption that he would have sought shelter and supplies in one of them. His convicted murderer status told us he was OK with killing, so that added a level of urgency to the search. People living/staying in remote areas of that county were sitting ducks for this guy. I hate that this happened to these 4 children and 1 adult.

Escaped Texas inmate shot and killed by police after allegedly killing Houston-area family of 5

Eventually, Lopez and the truck were spotted Thursday night south of San Antonio, near Poteet. There was a short chase where officers deployed spike strips, sources told ABC13.

"He went down there and struck a telephone pole. Bounced off and went down and crashed into a telephone pole and a fence. He exited his truck, fired additional rounds, at least four officers returned fire," said Atascosa County Sheriff David Soward.

Lopez was then shot and killed by authorities. No officers were injured.

Last edited:
Victims - 1 adult, 4 minors - were shot to death.
Escaped inmate shot, killed during foot-chase after possibly killing 1 adult, 4 children from the Houston-area, TDCJ says

Officials from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) say the convicted killer who escaped police custody in Leon County and possibly murdered one adult and four children from the Houston area has been shot and killed. The update came late Thursday night.
I am thinking these minors were teens perhaps, because of the use of the term ‘minors‘ instead of ‘children’ as was stated last night. Family and loved ones of these victims are reeling no doubt. Friends who will hear this news today will be devastated. Such a feeling of dread.
It’s horrible. Texas is losing too many of our children, and the adults who cared for them.

Last edited:
I’m glad that this man was dealt with and hope it’s within legal bounds and not justice delivered in the field. Thanks to @MassGuy and @citizen_sleuth for those tweet updates.

I don’t understand the anger over a lack of media or whatever either. The tweets that I mentioned show this to be covered pretty well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back