TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

It's disgusting. I'm heartsick he was not captured sooner and these people paid with their lives.
Heartsick is the right word for this. Basically, the worst-case scenario came true.

And the blood of these victims is on TDCJ hands. We need an investigation pronto with a shakeup in management and outside review.

Transporting prisoners like Gonzalez in old buses with inadequate oversight is a criminal act in itself. High level offenders should not be outside their facility for any reason. Let the doctors come to them! He gamed a flawed system & was on his way to Mexico.

I am in grief over the lives lost. No excuses can ever mitigate that.

MOO

The house the family was found in had been searched and cleared multiple times since Lopez escaped on May 12, Clark said.

“We have cleared that area and cleared that residence multiple times. That is within our search perimeter,” said Clark.
____
Lopez either was hiding while they "cleared" the house multiple times, or he just got there.

But he wasn't in a hurry in "his way to Mexico".
My opinion is he probably headed there first chance he got.
I am guessing he laid low in empty buildings in the area for awhile, maybe to heal from possible injuries he got during the escape.
I think LE knew from their informant network that he had not left the area yet, and that’s why they kept the focus local.
But somehow, some way, he was undetectable until the welfare check on the family less than 24 hours ago.
It seems there was a perfect storm at this country house when the victims encountered him yesterday. It’s awful on so many levels.

Last edited:
My opinion is he probably headed there first chance he got.
I am guessing he laid low in empty buildings in the area for awhile, maybe to heal from possible injuries he got during the escape.
I think LE knew from their informant network that he had not left the area yet, and that’s why they kept the focus local.
But somehow, some way, he was undetectable until the welfare check less than 24 hoys ago.
It seems there was a perfect storm at this country house when the victims encountered him yesterday. It’s awful on so many levels.
I thought that as a member of mafia, he knew all illegal ways to Mexico.

Google tells me it takes 4 hours 21 minutes (253 mi) to drive from Centerville to Jordanton.
News said bodies were found around 6 pm last night, and he was dead around 10:30.
He wasn’t that far ahead of them.

TDCJ: Escaped inmate Gonzalo Lopez is dead after police shootout
When officers arrived at the residence around 6 p.m., they discovered the bodies of one adult and four minors.

Convicted murderer on the run since escaping prison bus killed in shootout with police after slaying family of five, authorities say

Gonzalo Lopez, 46, was killed about 10:30 p.m. Thursday in Jourdanton, Texas, about 35 miles south of San Antonio, said Jason Clark, spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Last edited:
Google tells me it takes 4 hours 21 minutes (253 mi) to drive from Centerville to Jordanton.
News said bodies were found around 6 pm last night, and he was dead around 10:30.
He wasn’t that far ahead of them.

TDCJ: Escaped inmate Gonzalo Lopez is dead after police shootout

Convicted murderer on the run since escaping prison bus killed in shootout with police after slaying family of five, authorities say
From your link, there were children. BBM

"The family had been seen alive earlier in the day, CBS Dallas reports.

Lopez was thought to be hiding in the woods in the vicinity of the cabin when officers received a call from someone concerned after not hearing from an elderly relative, Clark said.

"He broke into the residence and committed these murders," an official told CBS Dallas.

Officers went to the family's cabin along Texas Route 7 west of Centerville about 6 p.m. Thursday and found the bodies of one adult and four minors, three of them children. Identities weren't released, but their white pickup truck was gone, Clark said."

“We are beyond devastated,” wrote the brother-in-law of the grandfather on Facebook. “The victims of the escaped convict near Centerville were my bother-in-law and 4 great nephews, his grand children. The kids aged in range from 11-18. The oldest just graduated high school last week. The loss is unbearable.”

I was thinking it must have been a grandparent and grandchildren when they corrected the story to be 1 adult and 4 minors. I can't imagine the horror for that innocent family; they must be devastated. Ugh. Thanks for the link.
Here is more:

LOPEZ ESCAPE: Texas prisons cancel visitation following escape
The inmate was killed after a shootout with police south of San Antonio.
Gonzalo Lopez, 46, went missing May 12, staying in the Leon County area until Thursday when he likely ambushed a man and his four grandsons at their weekend getaway near Texas 7 in Centerville. Tomball ISD put out a statement Friday morning that four students from the district and their grandfather were killed Thursday.
From there, once police discovered the family around 6 p.m., police across Texas were on the lookout for a missing pickup.

“We are beyond devastated,” wrote the brother-in-law of the grandfather on Facebook. “The victims of the escaped convict near Centerville were my brother-in-law and 4 great-nephews, his grandchildren. The kids aged in range from 11-18. The oldest just graduated high school last week. The loss is unbearable.”

I don't understand why he killed all of them???
He was trying to make it back to Mexico, and if the family came to the house and saw him, and he let them live, they would've called police and he most likely would have been swiftly apprehended. Witnesses are a liability, and unfortunately he had no qualms with killing those who disrupted his plans, as evidenced by his previous criminal history. MOO.

I've been looking to verify this but correct me if I am wrong. I saw one small piece this morning saying GL was killed during a gun fight after stealing a truck from a family and killing the family. If someone can find a good factual source, please share. IMHO It is tragic that (if true) he felt the need to kill these innocent people.

I've been looking to verify this but correct me if I am wrong. I saw one small piece this morning saying GL was killed during a gun fight after stealing a truck from a family and killing the family. If someone can find a good factual source, please share. IMHO It is tragic that (if true) he felt the need to kill these innocent people.
There are numerous posts on this page that verify that info with direct links as required by Websleuths.
Please scroll back to see them.
Thank you.

I wonder about the gun he used to kill this poor family.

Did he steal any guns from the prison bus?

Or from houses he broke into?

Or maybe even from the family he killed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back