TX - Escaped convicted murderer, stabbed guard, 12 May 22; murdered family of 5, Centerville, shot dead near SA, 2 JUNE 2022

The house the family was found in had been searched and cleared multiple times since Lopez escaped on May 12, Clark said.

“We have cleared that area and cleared that residence multiple times. That is within our search perimeter,” said Clark.
____
Lopez either was hiding while they "cleared" the house multiple times, or he just got there.

I’d like to know what ‘searched and cleared’ means, in this context.

I thought that as a member of mafia, he knew all illegal ways to Mexico.
There are mafia and then there are mafia....

Lopez was a member of the Mexican Mafia, a prison / gang reputed to control most Hispanic street gangs in southern California. This control is probably indirect and implemented by a "tribute" system.

That aside, there is no guarantee that Lopez spoke Spanish, had meaningful family in Mexico, or had ever been in Mexico before.

In short, being in the "Mexican Mafia" does mean that escaping to Mexico was a viable option for Lopez. Of course, there is probably an equal chance that it was.

Seems it was a vacation home so to speak. I assume empty most of the time. But LE checked for him there.

Was GL in the area the entire time? IMHO either he was very good at hiding or they weren’t so good at searching.

Very sad consequences.

Seems it was a vacation home so to speak. I assume empty most of the time. But LE checked for him there.

Was GL in the area the entire time? IMHO either he was very good at hiding or they weren’t so good at searching.

Very sad consequences.

Here’s what I was thinking—there’s a range of possibilities:

On one side: LE gets in contact with the owners; the owners tell LE which rock the house key is hidden under; LE goes out there, opens the door, walks carefully through all the rooms, looks in all the outbuildings, and hides the key again.

On the other side: LE walks up to the front door, bangs on it; Lopez, who is inside, holds perfectly quiet, LE walks away, saying ‘check that one off the list.’

And of course, there’s a whole range of possibilities in between these extremes. So, I’d like to know what ‘checked and searched’ actually entailed.

I’m not sure if it’s the same procedure, but when my family’s cottage in Ontario was checked by police they put police tape on both doors with the date the police visited. They also left a notice about the check and their contact information.

They were there twice but I don’t recall the length of time between visits.

(They routinely checked the cottages in winter, but this was different because a killer was believed to be hiding in the area.)

I would be interested in rewinding to the initial escape. How did he get out of properly applied handcuffs, where was the shank he used to stab the bus driver concealed. What did he use to breach the metal cage on the bus that separates the inmates from the driver…how was it that neither guard/correctional officers - both armed..fail to put this guy down when he stabbed the driver and took command of the bus….very strange…the bus crashes and the guards still don’t take action. I know there was a physical altercation with a guard- wouldn’t you think the other guard would have shot the prisoner. The guy runs across a pasture and it was reported the guards shot at him and missed. What the heck…I wonder what the other inmates on the bus observed…it would be interesting to get their accounting of this incident. Something seems very fishy….all these mis steps are too numerous for it to be happenstance or coincident. It makes one wonder if this guy had inside help with his plans..and to search for 3 weeks in a 5 mile area and not capture this guy with hundreds and hundreds of officers committed to the search. Not super believable IMHO

There are mafia and then there are mafia....

Lopez was a member of the Mexican Mafia, a prison / gang reputed to control most Hispanic street gangs in southern California. This control is probably indirect and implemented by a "tribute" system.

That aside, there is no guarantee that Lopez spoke Spanish, had meaningful family in Mexico, or had ever been in Mexico before.

In short, being in the "Mexican Mafia" does mean that escaping to Mexico was a viable option for Lopez. Of course, there is probably an equal chance that it was.

These murders of the innocent here really hurt my heart and my head. I don't recall if GL was convicted in 2006 or the crime in 2006, regardless, he's been imprisoned for more than 16 years. Unlike vintage Italian mafia days, I'm surprised that GL would still hold any rank and favor. Seems to me that today's gangs are not the type to remember you when you're off the streets and of little value. JMO

ETA: I'm having brain fade and can't recall the title but I recently watched a documentary where the vintage mob was counting out $40M for the families of the soldiers in prison. MOO

Here’s what I was thinking—there’s a range of possibilities:

On one side: LE gets in contact with the owners; the owners tell LE which rock the house key is hidden under; LE goes out there, opens the door, walks carefully through all the rooms, looks in all the outbuildings, and hides the key again.

On the other side: LE walks up to the front door, bangs on it; Lopez, who is inside, holds perfectly quiet, LE walks away, saying ‘check that one off the list.’

And of course, there’s a whole range of possibilities in between these extremes. So, I’d like to know what ‘checked and searched’ actually entailed.
It would be somewhat comforting and appropriate to think they contacted the owners. Were they aware of the potential danger?

HERE is a link to a brief new conference held by CrimeStoppers of Houston about 30 minutes ago, with CrimeStoppers of Houston board member Andy Karan, the family’s pastor, and a family friend who is a law enforcement officer. Andy and the family friend were in tears.

Very sad consequences.
My gut says he was in the area and when headlights came up the drive he would hide. Police would “clear” the area not finding anything and leave. Difference this time was family came into house, he couldn’t hide and opted to kill them.

All IMOO. I’m in Northeast Houston area and this story was all over the news down here.

He may have been “cabin” hoping and this was an unlucky crossing.

I don’t have any heartache about suspect being shot.

Again IMOO.

My gut says he was in the area and when headlights came up the drive he would hide. Police would “clear” the area not finding anything and leave. Difference this time was family came into house, he couldn’t hide and opted to kill them.

All IMOO. I’m in Northeast Houston area and this story was all over the news down here.

He may have been “cabin” hoping and this was an unlucky crossing.

I don’t have any heartache about suspect being shot.

Again IMOO.
I don't have any heartache over his death either....only regrets and sadness it wasn't a day or two sooner so that this family was spared. Unlucky crossing indeed. Sometimes fate is just plain cruel.

Gonzalo Lopez is a mass murderer since he killed 5 people. That puts him in the same class as Salvador Ramos, Eric Harris, Stephen Paddock, Aaron Alexis, Omar Mateen, Elliot Rodger, Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, Nikolas Cruz, and Osama bin Laden.

I wonder how he was able to hide for so long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back