GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by ArianeEmory, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArianeEmory

ArianeEmory I know the pieces fit

http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-four-people-got-off-on-probation-becaus-1480835092

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

2. Loading...

3. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

It's so blatant in your face in this case. They aren't even trying to hide the fact he got probation because he is rich. His defense lawyer actually argued that he should get treatment instead of prison since he is a product of wealth and got everything he wanted. And the judge agreed. Isn't life grand?

4. Reader

Reader New Member

I can't let myself respond to this because I would end up writing a book and have a heart attack in the process. You all know what I would say anyway.

5. PandaJ

PandaJ New Member

Wow.

So if he was a product of wealth and never had any consequences for his actions, isn't this enabling his behavior even more????

This kid better thank his lucky stars and be a perfect citizen for the rest of his life.

Sheesh.

jmo

6. A.D.A McCoy

A.D.A McCoy New Member

Okay, put the parents away for twenty years, then.

7. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.

8. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

9. MissJ

MissJ New Member

Enabling his already "I can get by with anything" attitude is sure going to help him in the long run. NOT. What will he do next?

10. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't doubt mommy and daddy could end up losing a lot of money over behavior of their precious offspring.

11. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

I hope those suits bankrupt them.

This is just an indication of how revered the rich are becoming by our society.

Here's another article; http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

12. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

And they don't even try to hide it anymore.
    I've never heard of a case where defense argued that their client was a product of riches and got everything he wanted, therefore instead of prison he should spend time in a fancy treatment facility.

13. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

This is a must read article, imo, (unless you are prone to heart attacks). It's from the hearing last week.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Te...Driving-Crash-That-Killed-Four-234477461.html

Teen Admits Responsibility in Deadly Drunken Driving Crash
    Teen driver had a blood-alcohol level of 0.24

By Chris Van Horne | Thursday, Dec 5, 2013

These snippets from a long article:

"The key testimony came from a 15-year-old girl who was among those in the red truck and spending the night hanging out with Couch at his home nearby in Burleson. The teen testified that after Couch picked her up and arrived at his house, alcohol was already available to the teenagers and she saw Couch consume Everclear on several occasions.

At one point in the night they went to Keller to pick-up four other teens who were friends of Couch’s and they tried to buy beer nearby. They were unsuccessful in their attempt, but later at the Burleson Wal-Mart the teens stole several cases of beer."

"Several teens testified that they had been to Couch’s house before and alcohol was always available."

14. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

His parents better have a lot of money.
    Considering his defense just blamed the parents for their offspring's behavior.
    I envision a lot of civil lawsuits in their future.
    Unfortunately I fail to see how that is going to teach their offspring that there should be consquences for his actions.

15. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

He should have the books thrown at him. I never heard of victim of affluenza. :crazy: :what:

16. Zuri

Zuri New Member

And let me guess. The judge was a friend of his parents. Doesn't the judge have to rule based on the law? Or had the parents paid off the families of the deceased? This is another one of those cases that makes me shake my head. JMV

17. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Neighter have I.
    Affluenza, indeed.

18. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

I don't believe that he got that sentence because of the wealth of his parents. I think he got that verdict because the Judge was trying to help him.

I think he should have gotten time and help.. But I think when you kill people by drunk driving you need to do time.

19. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Help him? Why him? How about other people who don't have a rich father who can fork up to half a mil for a year stay in a treatment facility? Is that the regular punishment for drunk driving resulting in multiple deaths and injuries? Probation and fancy treatmen facility?

20. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

I don't know. You would have to ask the judge that. I don't agree with this ruling. I just don't believe he made it because this kids family may have money.

21. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

His defense argued that the kid was a product of wealth and had affluenza.
    Therefore should go to a treatment facility and not prison.
    So what is the basis for your claim that the judge didn't make the ruling because of family's money?
    Considering she agreed with his defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.