TX - Execution stayed for serial killer David Leonard Wood

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by Kat, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

I have been watching the updates on the scheduled execution of David Leonard Wood now for over a week (I now live in El Paso and watch on local news).

I did a search for a thread for him but couldn't find one, please merge if I have overlooked anything.

At the link below are a number of links to articles that have been published lately.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_13165252

Execution stayed: David Leonard Wood's mental ability at issue

David L. Wood has denied his involvement in these murders ~ of course.

I have been trying to read backdated articles and there is a question about his possibly being mentally retarded, however, IIRC he has tested in different instances as having normal IQ as well as having below normal IQ (by about two points).

I just wanted to post this here on WS, because I know there are a few regular posters that do follow Serial Killers.

2. Loading...

3. Kat

Here is the only place I am having problems with this case:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_13024659

Unless I am missing something, Woods was convicted on the testimony of two cellmates.
    That there was no fiber, DNA or other physical evidence to place him at the scene of the crime or to show he commited these murders. I'm not defending him, I'm trying to understand the case against him.

4. Kat

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_13320364

Posted: 09/12/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

Just posting this for any other members that follow serial murderers. I don't usually.

I don't think that this man has a valid claim in declaring mental retardation. IMHO.

However, the lack of fiber evidence and DNA (if accurate reporting) does bring concerns to my mind, in that although I do support the death penalty, I believe it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (to include hard scientific evidence and not just testimony) before the sentence of death should be given.

5. wonders

wonders My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are

Thank you Kat. I don't usually follow serial killers either. "But the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming" a jury convicted him. Seems to me he's trying to save his own skin thus the mental retardation claim. I think it's a slap in the face to people who are retarded and these POS can claim they are too. If they can try to hide their crimes then no they aren't retarded IMO. Sorry for rambling on.

6. ziggy

ziggy New Member

Thank you for posting this. It's interesting and we'll be discussing the death penalty in my criminal law class next week so this is good reading on the subject as well.

7. Kat

Thanks for responding wonders, I didn't read it as rambling :)

I don't have a link to the interview, I'm not sure it's available.

I'm local to this case now. I watched the late news last night and the adult daughter of one of this man's victims was there at the court house for the hearing.

She gave a short statement that touched my heart. She said that even if he dies, which she hopes that his sentence is served out fully...

There is no such thing as closure. That she will have the pain of having her Mother murdered to carry for the rest of her life. I believed her. Bless her heart.

8. wonders

wonders My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are

Hi Kat,

Thank you. ITA with what I bolded. People do live with the pain every day for the rest of their lives. I only hope these people will get justice in this monsters death, I believe it's fitting.

9. Kat

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_13345464?source=most_viewed

Posted: 09/16/2009 12:00:00 AM MDT

Ex-cellmate of David Leonard Wood collected $13K reward

I didn't quote a lot of the article but it is interesting.

10. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

11. KayElJay

KayElJay Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From February 2016

http://www.kvia.com/news/wood-requests-more-dna-testing-victims-mother-upset/38176500