TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state overcharged her.

This is clearly a manslaughter case.

I see two outcomes, she either gets convicted of manslaughter ir she walks.
The grand jury charged her with murder, the Texas Rangers had only charged manslaughter. But I think murder fits the facts best, and the jury will be able to convict of a lesser charge because of the way TX laws are written.

The ranger on the stand has said some 40 residents from the 3rd and 4th floor had not only parked on the wrong floor but put their key fobs in the wrong doors. He went on to explain about the striker plate being messed up on BJs door and it not latching. So sure those residents that had made those mistakes had not gone in but the doors were probably locked wereas Botham's door pushed right open with her keyfob in. That is absolutely terrible and truly helps prove she thought it was her apartment. I still feel that as an officer she should've been able to stop and assess the situation before firing her weapon but when the door opened she did mistakenly think there was someone in her apartment.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if Rivera’s receipt from the restaurant was entered into evidence?

He is her partner at work and a many year veteran in their department. He showed her the ropes when she came to his department, among other things it seems he showed her. It's natural she would ask him for his advice or help or whatever. Have you watched any of the testimony?

Testimony yesterday showed that she had pulled over in the garage at some point to finish her phone conversation with her partner. The prosecutor claimed based on phone records that this was a much longer conversation than usual -- approx 16 minutes I think. Makes me wonder if she was looking forward to hooking up with her partner that night but he was backing out. Maybe her fast driving and irrational actions were because she was angry at that situation. Just my opinion and speculation...

Well if her lover boy partner erased texts he needs to be prosecuted and fired too. Those texts can be retrieved. No one is above the law.

Amateur opinion and speculation only
RBBM - In his testimony, Rivera described the CRT unit they were part of as not having "partners" in the usual sense of the word (working with the same person every day), but that they would sometimes pair off with an officer (not always the same one), or sometimes work alone, depending on what the situation called for. I'm paraphrasing here, so that's not exactly what he said, but that was my understanding. So, they were colleagues on the same team, who frequently worked close with one another, but not every single day. IMO.

The grand jury charged her with murder, the Texas Rangers had only charged manslaughter. But I think murder fits the facts best, and the jury will be able to convict of a lesser charge because of the way TX laws are written.
I'm glad to hear that!

They need to take down the photo of the victim on the judge's podium.

I have never seen a trial where a victim's photo was kept up for the jury to see.

Sounds like the judge isn't going to allow most of what the defense wants him to testify to.
Can't testify that he thinks the shooting was reasonable.

Can't testify as to where he was when he was shot.
Right but he will be back as a Defense witness I'm sure. That's if the judge lets him get qualified as a expert which she said they should've already done apparently.

Looking through the eyes of a juror, the sexy texts probably irrelevant to the jury, and so is the ridiculous marijuana angle. Just my opinion.
I personally think that the sexting is relevant. It shows that her mind was totally preoccupied with what she was anticipating for later on in the evening. In other words her head was not on her shoulders at the moment. JMO

Last edited:
The subject matter maybe. But the texting itself and the focus might be very relevant. She was distracted. While exhausted from work and carrying a loaded weapon.
***YESSS THIS!!! So distracted that she didn't notice the bright RED DOORMAT??!!! The numbers of the apartment??!! It's displayed beside the door with the light fixture, all lit up. So yes, that text, SEXTING is very relevant because she was distracted, not paying attention and because of her carelessness SHE killed a completely innocent person. If it had been the other way around, black man mistakenly entered a female DP home and killed her, no way he would have gotten off with a "it was a horrible sad mistake"!!

But it's still your castle, and no one gets to walk in, shoot you, and then delay getting you emergency care. Not without consequences.

Just imagine if the opposite had happened. Would people really be so understanding if a man had done that to a woman? Or if an armed civilian had done that to an officer who was just relaxing in his or her own home?
A police officer did shoot an unarmed woman who was reporting what she thought was a rape.
Officer Mohamed Noor shot and killed Justine Ruszczyk without cause. He was found guilty of third degree manslaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288