GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Cobra Jet, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, see that's the thing, I didn't know the law either. But the law in Texas is probably not what you were expecting. It didn't have to be a hate crime, or premeditated. She just had to point and shoot with the intent to kill him. She admitted she intended to kill him - that is the definition of murder in Texas. Who knew?

She won't get the death penalty. This is not a capital murder case, so that is not on the table.

2. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought @mickey2942

3. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

RSBM

I think you are mixing up intent & culpability

She admitted intention to kill in her testimony

4. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

I do understand what you’re saying and agree somewhat, but I just turned 31 yesterday and I don’t agree that her age should be a mitigating factor. She didn’t need to grow up, she was full grown.

MsFacetious, Indy Anna, TRB and 18 others like this.
  5. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

You really haven't provided any substance to your claim the murder charge violated AG's right to due process. The Judge decided the evidence clearly supported the charge and the jury agreed. I agree with the jury.

JMO

6. mrjitty

Great to see a sensible verdict that restores some faith in the extent of police powers. Hopefully officers look at this decision and think a bit more carefully.

Personally I don't believe the accident theory. It is even more unbelievable than Pistorius

7. mrjitty

For me the circumstances are more aggravating than mitigating!

8. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

btfly547, Angelo, Hraefn and 5 others like this.
  9. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Man, AG is going away for at least 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets even more.

Botham Jean is like a saint.

AG comes across as...a selfish, entitled, racist, violent, rough gal. And that is putting it pretty nicely.

10. Cortne

Cortne Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I hope you are right!!

11. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

12. ReadyorNot

ReadyorNot Well-Known Member

You just have to not kill ANYBODY.

13. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

He was a good guy, I'm sure. But let's avoid a situation where someone (especially a POC) has to be a "saint" in order to get justice in death (OR in life). Wrong is wrong. Even if he hadn't been a nice guy, she got what she deserved, and police officers need to be accountable for illegal actions towards any and all, sinners and saints.

14. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

She testified in court that she intended to kill Botham Jean. She thought he was in her apartment. For that reason, under Texas law, she can't be charged with anything negligent or accidental. Negligent homicide, as the state pointed out, would have applied if she had been cleaning her gun in her apartment below and accidentally shot him in his apartment above.

She deliberately entered his apartment with her gun drawn with the intent to kill him. Under Texas law, that's murder.
    It's not capital murder, she won't get the death penalty or anything. Her sentence can vary from 5 years on up. It's the way Texas defines murder.

15. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

Botham's mother is simply elegant and so well spoken and composed considering the situation. What an impressive lady!

16. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

I don't believe Amber has a chance at all in swaying this jury towards leniency. They hate her and the sentencing phase gave that new growth.

I will be very interested to see if anyone takes the stand in her behalf besides her immediate family. It wouldn't surprise me if her closest work mates don't because then they are portrayed poorly. I hope I'm wrong, but I get the sense that she will be abandoned tomorrow. I get that some may be elated by that; not me.

MsFacetious, kodi, Medstudies and 6 others like this.
  17. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

“Damn I was at this area with 5 different black officers!!! Not racist but damn,” Rivera wrote on March 9, 2018.

“Not racist but just have a different way of working and it shows,” Gugyer wrote back.
    upload_2019-10-1_18-21-38.jpeg
    mistook Jean’s apartment as her own following a 15-hour tour of duty, and shot him while he was eating a bowl of ice cream because she thought he was an intruder.

Prosecutors said that Guyger didn’t realize where she was because she was sexting with Rivera, and should have called for backup instead of entering when she found the apartment door unlocked.
    https://nypost.com/2019/10/01/killer-cop-amber-guyger-joked-about-martin-luther-king-jr-s-death/

18. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

Do you mean you don't believe she accidentally went to the wrong apartment? Or that she went to the wrong apt by mistake, realized her mistake, but shot to kill anyway?

Because by her own admission, there was nothing accidental about the shooting itself. Including where the bullet entered Mr. Jean: exactly where she aimed, a really & truly remarkable shot if it was really too dark for her to see Mr. Jean. Or where his hands were.

19. Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl Well-Known Member

gitana1 and Lavender Moon like this.
  20. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

That will be interesting. I sincerely doubt that she has any close female friends, probably plenty of male "friends". I bet that many of her work "friends" will be too "busy". Of course. I doubt that they will visit her in prison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.