TX -Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, Indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by DisturbedConcerned, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

I think the totality of the circumstances does not support option 'A':

The red rug, she was tired, but not say, just having participated in an extreme rescue high on Mt. Everest during a blizzard w/o oxygen, a witness saying she called on the occupant to open the door- thus strongly implied that she would have tried her key, the door being ajar unlikely as occupant likely to secure the door, possible spring loaded doors etc.

As for possibility 'B', it makes a lot more sense me given the totality of the situation.

2. bwt42

bwt42 Well-Known Member

If I entered my home and was not greeted by my dog but saw a stranger, I'd assume they did something to my dog. This would make me even more nervous.

SeekingJana, ilovematt, RANCH and 2 others like this.
  3. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

Definitely. Isn't that what she claims though?

sassyblue likes this.
  4. Cryptic

I have not read any references to a claim that the door was 'propped open'. Rather, I have just read references to a claim that the door was "partially ajar". As to whether the totality of the claim is that the door was partially ajar because it was propped open, I don't know.

If that is the totality of the claim, then it could imply other possible implausibilities:

- Victim was deep in the interior of a largely unlit apartment late at night, but still kept door propped open.

- Victim propped door open without a strongly apparent reason- say, bringing in a lot groceries, moving in appliances etc, but then forgot to un-prop it despite it being late at night and thus more likely that he would have notice it in the course of being home.

5. SoCalDavidS

SoCalDavidS Well-Known Member

Our country is so incredibly f&*ked up! Let's be clear about something:

Tweak the scenario a bit. This time it's a black man from the building, "mistakenly" entering the apartment of a female white police officer, and shooting her dead. How quickly would the murder verdict be given?

Hopefully justice will be done here. Cops normally get away with murder, and especially when it's a white cop and a black man. I'm still skeptical she will receive the appropriate punishment for needlessly taking a life.

6. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

So true. And he definitely wouldn't have had two days to get the story straight, and an opportunity to turn himself in for arrest. Let alone never have his home searched.

7. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Unknown Member

As Dallas weighs changes, here's how police oversight works in LA, Detroit and Houston | Dallas Police | Dallas News
    more...

8. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Unknown Member

If he had propped his door open temporarily, and then forgot about it, I would think that once it became dark outside with little light in the apartment, he would certainly notice the light streaming in from the hallway.

9. Cryptic

?
    I agree.

Then factor in that a witness evidently heard the officer telling the victim to open the door. This would not be necessary if the door was already proped open.

In short, the officers's story (after, as other posters mentioned, the ability to correct her version) seems to be: Due to exhaustion, I went to the wrong apartment and did not notice relatively large differences in door lay out. The door was proped open and I heard an occupant inside. I then called him to the door. Still not realizing that I was at the wrong apartment, I then shot the man because he failed to obey my commands.

Though the above is technically possible, there are a lot of of implausibilities: Why was the door proped open? Why did the victim not notice it? Why did the officer repeatedly not notice she was at the wrong apartment?

The seeming implausibilities are then compounded by the fact that the officer could well of had contact with he victim regarding noise, but failed to recognize him or his apartment.

SeekingJana, Hraefn, Jax49 and 9 others like this.
  10. mickey2942

I am not surprised that we have not heard more evidence. There was probably an order to keep the Grand Jury evidence sealed.

That makes me think that a plea deal will happen. AG will end up in prison, probably some fluffy place, as a " trustee", in special protection. But it won't be life...I will be surprised if this goes to trial.

11. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

I agree with you :(

12. mickey2942

13. sloane7777

sloane7777 Well-Known Member

This morning on fox 4 they said " a plea deal will not be offered "and there will probably be a change of venue due to the publicity in Dallas , her First appearance is today in court .

14. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Court Hearing For Former Dallas Officer Who Shot, Killed Unarmed Man In His Apartment

More than a month after she was indicted for murder, the first court hearing for fired Dallas police officer Amber Guyger takes place today.

The preliminary hearing will be between Judge Tammy Kemp, attorneys for the state, and Guyger’s defense team. Guyger wasn’t required to attend the hearing, but arrived at the Crowley Courts Building before 8:00 a.m.

[​IMG]

[...]

15. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Unknown Member