Identified! TX - Galveston, beach near Kahala Dr, BlkMale 16-35, UP69355, Under Armor slides on forearms, May'20 - Calvin Mbwambo

@Aurora90 I think you are right for lots of reasons - underrepresentation of black communities in DNA databases and the possibilities that those from outside the US who do not have easy access to LE or an understanding of how to report someone missing might never make an MP report.

It's worth noting that Somali Bantus are not ethnically Somali, form only a teeny tiny minority of the Somali population and don't have the same clan structure. The Somali Bantu originated further south - Tanzania, Mozambique etc - and were brought to Somalia as an enslaved population 200+ years ago. Despite that happening all those years ago, many Somalis don't think they 'belong' there. Bantu were particularly targeted in Somalian violence in the early 1990s and many of the refugees resettled into the US and other countries at that time were from this group. So it's not inconceivable that this young man might have been a migrant of that era, or the child of recent migrants.

Having lived in East Africa for the past few years - I just left recently - I have watched this case with much interest and really hope for some news soon.,
Such a strange coincidence. I am a somali woman living in Canada. I wonder if the somali community can help I believe they helped get the word out for Morton Jane Doe once she was found to be Somali as well.

I agree, the communities are very tight. It won't be easy to figure out who this john doe is, even with dna.

Amazing @Aurora90 I didn't know you were of Somali heritage, though I did just re-read your bone density post I didn't put 2 and 2 together! I did post his details in a couple of very large community FB groups I was a member of overseas - lots of returnees visiting 'home' were members. Personally I do think the answer to identity is likely going to lie closer to home, in the US or Canada.

@Aurora90 I think you are right for lots of reasons - underrepresentation of black communities in DNA databases and the possibilities that those from outside the US who do not have easy access to LE or an understanding of how to report someone missing might never make an MP report.

It's worth noting that Somali Bantus are not ethnically Somali, form only a teeny tiny minority of the Somali population and don't have the same clan structure. The Somali Bantu originated further south - Tanzania, Mozambique etc - and were brought to Somalia as an enslaved population 200+ years ago. Despite that happening all those years ago, many Somalis don't think they 'belong' there. Bantu were particularly targeted in Somalian violence in the early 1990s and many of the refugees resettled into the US and other countries at that time were from this group. So it's not inconceivable that this young man might have been a migrant of that era, or the child of recent migrants.

Having lived in East Africa for the past few years - I just left recently - I have watched this case with much interest and really hope for some news soon.,
Yes, the Bantu are a distinct population and it's why we thought it was noteworthy to point out, beyond simply saying "East African". We are working with investigators but this is a challenging case.

Calvin Eliwangu Mbwambo is originally from Tanzania and was attending school in Houston. His family has not been able to reach him since May 2020. I think this is a strong possible match...

Calvin Eliwangu Mbwambo is originally from Tanzania and was attending school in Houston. His family has not been able to reach him since May 2020. I think this is a strong possible match...
Knowing that Calvin Eliwangu Mbwambo is from Tanzania really makes him a pretty likely possible match, especially considering Galveston County John Doe's ancestry.

That is super interesting- thanks for the firsthand experience. I learned about the body/bone density when I was a lifeguard ages ago but thought it had been "debunked."

I think even that if he was there alone to hang out on the beach or to swim that someone would have worried when he didn't come home. Galveston is a big draw for central and even north Texas, so he could have traveled from quite far away. But then where is his car? Did he take the bus? etc, etc. So many questions.

I've read studies about that, too. It does seem to be debunked among certain scientific groups since they believe it has more to do with fat distribution on the body within ethnic groups that aids in buoyancy rather than bone density.

In the US, I have also read articles that state due to the disparity of wealth between black and white populations and the lack of public amenities in neighbourhoods with a lower tax base, there was less opportunity for inner city kids to learn to swim in public swimming pools or schools. If you have nowhere to swim, you can't learn.

Knowing that Calvin Eliwangu Mbwambo is from Tanzania really makes him a pretty likely possible match, especially considering Galveston County John Doe's ancestry.

Also not sure who is doing the genetic/family tree research for this case, but worth also flagging @othram who we need are extracting the DNA

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back