GUILTY TX - Gerren Isgrigg, 6, disabled, left to die in Wylie park, 12 April 2010

Well, mom appeared in court today and wasnt arrested....that is surprising. I fully expected to see she had dropped her wishes to have him cremated because she didnt want to appear.

Hmmmmm.....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...e/stories/060410dnmetwylieangel.6e01ab69.html

04:46 PM CDT on Friday, June 4, 2010
By VALERIE WIGGLESWORTH / The Dallas Morning News
vwigglesworth@dallasnews.com

Darlene C. Phillips has been indicted by a Collin County grand jury on a murder charge in the death of her grandson known as Wylie's Angel.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/Grandmother-indicted-for-murder-of-wylies-angel-95649104.html

Autopsy report: 'Wylie's Angel' died of lack of medical attention and exposure

Attorney Slams Murder Charge in Wylie's Angel Case
By RANDY MCILWAIN
Updated 11:15 PM CDT, Fri, Jun 4, 2010

The attorney for the grandmother of "Wylie's Angel" said he doesn't think murder charges will stand against his client.

A Collin County grand jury indicted Darlene Phillips on Friday on a single count of murder in the death of Gerren Isgrigg, her 6-year-old grandson.

Phillips is accused of abandoning the child in Wylie park. His body was found April 15 by a landscaper.

But Marc Fratter, Phillips' attorney, said prosecutors won't be able to prove a murder case against his client.

"The emotion of it, the fact that it brought national attention is what pushed the state to seek a murder indictment," he said.

Fratter said manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide are more appropriate charges. She had no motive to kill her grandson, he said.

"None of this, certainly, was motivated by anger or rage (there was) nothing financial to gain," he said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-be...der-Charge-in-Wylies-Angel-Case-95669574.html

Grandmother indicted in death of Wylie's Angel

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, June 5, 2010

Darlene Phillips has been indicted by a Collin County grand jury on a murder charge in the death of her grandson, dubbed "Wylie's Angel."

Gerren Isgrigg, who suffered a seizure disorder and was blind, deaf and unable to move, was found dead near a Collin County pond on April 15. Phillips, 63, told investigators she had left the 6-year-old boy there three days earlier with a note. Investigators did not find a note. It took them eight days to learn the boy's identity.

The Collin County medical examiner's office classified the death as a homicide. Autopsy results released Friday conclude that Gerren died from lack of medical attention and exposure.

Phillips' court-appointed attorney, Marc Fratter, said he'd be surprised if the murder charge sticks

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...-gerren_05met.ART.State.Edition1.299efc3.html

I won't be surprised if the murder charge DOES stick, she left a blind, deaf, seizure prone, severely disabled child out in the the Texas wilderness after removing his feeding tube... What the HE{{ did she think would happen? I know what would happen and I have never even met a child like Gerren.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. This woman should be ashamed of herself and accept whatever punishment she receives. There's no way that she won't be found guilty of murder. And my hope is that it's first degree murder, and that she spends the rest of her miserable life in a Texas prison having to live with what she did to that poor baby.

:cow:

I won't be surprised if the murder charge DOES stick, she left a blind, deaf, seizure prone, severely disabled child out in the the Texas wilderness after removing his feeding tube... What the HE{{ did she think would happen? I know what would happen and I have never even met a child like Gerren.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. This woman should be ashamed of herself and accept whatever punishment she receives. There's no way that she won't be found guilty of murder. And my hope is that it's first degree murder, and that she spends the rest of her miserable life in a Texas prison having to live with what she did to that poor baby.

:cow:

BBM. I agree. If she could no longer care for him, she could have contacted CPS........ There are no words for Gerrens grandmother than I can post without timing myself out, so I will leave it at that....

she left a blind, deaf, seizure prone, severely disabled child
Solitary confinment is used as torture.
Try to imagine how grandma felt. Gerren her 'only?' grandchild. Grandma Darlene probably had hope when she first took him - some type of comunication between Gerren and her was sure to come about- but no that was not true - and his future - institutionalized. Was Gerren a happy child - more likely fearful or probably crazed.
Gerren's mom & dad did not want the work that was required to to care for him. Gerren ceased to exist for them except the $ side of things.
Paying maintenence does not make you - a good man- just financialy responsable. And dude, Google is your friend- he could of Nyki -his child. Dad did not want the physical or emotional responsebility. But he had the money so he looks good, but he did not care about where his child was or how he was doing.
Mom Nyki took here Gerren out of a safe place (hospital) and gave him to her Mom - maybe it was cheaper. Nyki is responsable for her child - she made the choice.
Grandma Darlene i think hoped the gods would make a choice, when she left him. Nobody cared about Gerran when he was alive-except Grandma. Darlene did not know the system, she's older, pride thing you know. she should of had access to $ or counceling.
Darlene would not of been living in crap motel if she new the system, & since Granddaddy's not in jail. He did'nt seem to be involved in care taking Gerran.
In regards to Nyki -- do you know how expensive horses are to keep? i always wanted a pony. Truth is you need money to have horses. Nyki took her child and gave her child away. I find her so very cruel - she dumped and destroyed her mom and her child-----Ya Nyki.. Who were medical advisors for Darlene on how to care for Gerran.
I have elder friends - i have held their hand -
Nyki was in control -so i can just pass off my child- and they- i do not get it. Gerren was probabley expected to die. I see no reason why Grandma should pay the price, for people who (M+D) dumped

Try to imagine how grandma felt. Gerren her 'only?' grandchild. Grandma Darlene probably had hope when she first took him - some type of comunication between Gerren and her was sure to come about- but no that was not true - and his future - institutionalized. Was Gerren a happy child - more likely fearful or probably crazed.
Gerren's mom & dad did not want the work that was required to to care for him. Gerren ceased to exist for them except the $ side of things.
Paying maintenence does not make you - a good man- just financialy responsable. And dude, Google is your friend- he could of Nyki -his child. Dad did not want the physical or emotional responsebility. But he had the money so he looks good, but he did not care about where his child was or how he was doing.
Mom Nyki took here Gerren out of a safe place (hospital) and gave him to her Mom - maybe it was cheaper. Nyki is responsable for her child - she made the choice.
Grandma Darlene i think hoped the gods would make a choice, when she left him. Nobody cared about Gerran when he was alive-except Grandma. Darlene did not know the system, she's older, pride thing you know. she should of had access to $ or counceling.
Darlene would not of been living in crap motel if she new the system, & since Granddaddy's not in jail. He did'nt seem to be involved in care taking Gerran.
In regards to Nyki -- do you know how expensive horses are to keep? i always wanted a pony. Truth is you need money to have horses. Nyki took her child and gave her child away. I find her so very cruel - she dumped and destroyed her mom and her child-----Ya Nyki.. Who were medical advisors for Darlene on how to care for Gerran.
Nyki was in control -so i can just pass off my child- and they- i do not get it. Gerren was probabley expected to die. I see no reason why Grandma should pay the price, for people who (M+D) dumped

We cannot, as a society, EVER fall prey to supporting "mercy killing" of any kind. There are many foster parents who love severely disabled children and bring them into their homes and love them, unconditionally, and care for them until God chooses to bring them home. No human being has the right to make that decision, in my opinion. Leaving a helpless, severely handicapped child to die in the elements of the weather by starvation is beyond cruel. You cannot state how Gerren may have felt...nobody knows.

I had a patient that was in a very similar state. Young man of 20. Mentally challenged, blind and deaf and yes...epilepsy too. I communicated with him through touch. I would lift his hand every time I came to his room to draw his blood sugar levels (he was also diabetic) and I would place the tourniquet in his hand and have his hand help me with putting it on his arm. This was my way of communicating to let him know that I was about to draw blood. Know what? After a few visits he had the routine. He knew. What God takes away...he gives back in another form.

This young mans mother came every single day to the nursing center and sat at his bedside or chair side and would read him stories out of a book, knowing he was deaf. She loved him unconditionally and knew that he required far more help than she could provide due to his fragile system and had to make the difficult decision for nursing care.

He passed away three years later from cancer. I cried and still remember to this day, 20 years later, how he just "knew me" when I would come and knew what I would do. Poor sweet Gerren. I hope the angels came and sat with him while he lay there and that he had no suffering. And yes, grandma needs to face the charges because there were many other choices than leaving a handicapped child to die.

Grandmother indicted in death of Wylie's Angel

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, June 5, 2010

Darlene Phillips has been indicted by a Collin County grand jury on a murder charge in the death of her grandson, dubbed "Wylie's Angel."

Gerren Isgrigg, who suffered a seizure disorder and was blind, deaf and unable to move, was found dead near a Collin County pond on April 15. Phillips, 63, told investigators she had left the 6-year-old boy there three days earlier with a note. Investigators did not find a note. It took them eight days to learn the boy's identity.

The Collin County medical examiner's office classified the death as a homicide. Autopsy results released Friday conclude that Gerren died from lack of medical attention and exposure.

Phillips' court-appointed attorney, Marc Fratter, said he'd be surprised if the murder charge sticks

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...-gerren_05met.ART.State.Edition1.299efc3.html

So much for the defense attorney's assessment. Leaving an incredibly disabled child either alone under a bush or in the water (depending on the version) seems to rise slightly above manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide. Given that she had other choices. jmo

Respectfully snipped-Grandma dumped an alive child in a remote area with no means to draw attention to himself and drove away. She had other choices but she did not excercise them. Yes, his parents "dumped" him on gma. But they dumped him with a caregiver. She treated him like an unwanted litter of kittens....it was unbearably cruel. Unbelievably cruel. HEINOUS.

I am certain caring for him was not easy. BUT she decided to end his life-and not even in a humane way. Abandoned to starve and die from dehydration, drowning, animals; who knows. :banghead:

No, don't get me wrong, Grandma was very wrong to leave Gerren like that, a very sad way for his life to end. She also seems to be the only person who cared about and for Gerren. But i don't think she left him there out of malice.
Nyki left her child with caretaker that was not emotionally capable, nor does she seem to have supported the caretaker in any way. She did not check to see how her child was doing.
Nyki's child is dead and her mother is in jail, because of a choice Nyki made....moo

No, don't get me wrong, Grandma was very wrong to leave Gerren like that, a very sad way for his life to end. She also seems to be the only person who cared about and for Gerren. But i don't think she left him there out of malice.
Nyki left her child with caretaker that was not emotionally capable, nor does she seem to have supported the caretaker in any way. She did not check to see how her child was doing.
Nyki's child is dead and her mother is in jail, because of a choice Nyki made....moo

I am going to debate you on this point, respectfully. Nyki left her son with a caregiver who agreed to care for the boy. When and if she decided it was all too much, she had a number of choices that included contacting the bio parents....as in both. As of this posting, there is no indication that she reached out. She dumped a live child to die a horrific death.

Should Nyki be charged? Absolutely. At the minimum she should be charged with some kind of child abuse related charge. At the minimum, IMO. I would still like to know if there is a paper trail that indicates this child was receiving SSDI and what was done with that money.

I am on the fence about biodad-he did not have physical custody and the baby could not communicate with him to let him know he even knew who he was.

Respectfully again, I do not understand how her actions could be interpreted as not being malicious. What would a reasonable person believe would happen when she drove away from that innocent boy? I would have understood her actions far better had she euthanized him at home and then done it. But no. How about leaving him at a mall, a walmart, calling from a payphone and saying he was there? ANYTHING.

WHAT? Fearful and crazed? A child who could not do ANYTHING on his own? The poor child ate through a feeding tube, couldn't see or hear anything, he couldn't move on his own, and he had seizures. There is a little girl who lives next door to me who is in the same situation as Gerren and it's very sad to say but she is basically a vegetable. (the difference between her and Gerren though, is that she has someone who is committed to taking care of her no matter what.) Her mother went and got a nursing degree just so she could care for her own child.

I'm sorry, Gerren's parents were no longer together and his father is in the military. (And if IIRC, his father and the rest of his father's family did not even know that Gerren had been removed from the facility until his paternal grandmother called one day to check on his condition...) I think it's very unfair to say that Gerren's father did not want the emotional and physical responsibility, especially considering we don't know what the details of the custody arrangement were, as well as what his military obligations were... Gerren originally started out in a nursing facility where he was well taken care of by people properly trained to handle his condition. Don't forget that it's Gerren's mother who took him out of this safe secure place and left him at the mercy of her mother.

There are many many ways that Gerren's care could have been paid for. The military has EXCELLENT benefits as well as the state that could have been paying for his care, my guess is this was little or no cost to his mother...

It wasn't up to Darlene to ask the gods for anything. Fact is, she left Gerren in a park next to a pond covered in some brambles without his feeding tube or anyway to identify him. She knew he couldn't care for himself, she knew that he couldn't be seen from the parking lot, SHE KNEW THAT HE WOULD DIE! This isn't a pride thing. When another persons life is at stake, you don't rely on your pride or lack there of to get you through it. You ask for help. I said in an earlier post, no one would have said carp about it if she asked for help while caring for Gerren. Every single person in the world would have understood if she said... "I can't do this, I'm old, he's too sick, I'm getting no help...."

And should he be in jail? He didn't leave Gerren in the park and Darlene told him that she turned him over to social services... He was betrayed by his wife, and unless you know them personally and saw what was going on in their lives, I don't think it's right to consider what his level of involvement was.

In regards to Nyki -- do you know how expensive horses are to keep? i always wanted a pony. Truth is you need money to have horses. Nyki took her child and gave her child away.

Horses are very expensive to keep, that's why I *believe* that she took Gerren out of assisted living and dumped him off with Darlene.

I find her so very cruel - she dumped and destroyed her mom and her child-----Ya Nyki.. Who were medical advisors for Darlene on how to care for Gerran.

Again, it was not up to Darlene to play god. If she didn't want the responsibility of caring for Gerren she could have taken steps to make sure that he was safe and imo.. in much better care. We're all expected to die one day... does that give someone the right to decide when and how? NO. I see every reason why Darlene should pay the price for what she did. Would it be different if the she did this to a newborn baby? (I mean after all... one day that baby is expected to die... correct?) Or is Darlene expected to be given some lee way because of Gerren's handicapped condition?

My responses in RED
as always.. this is just imho

On one of our local news broadcast they reported that Darlene Phillips' trial will begin on December 8, 2010 but it's not up on their website yet. As soon as it is, I will post the link.

Grandmother of 'Wylie's Angel' Gets 28 Years
Wednesday, Jun 1, 2011

Darlene Phillips, the 64-year-old grandmother of 6-year-old Gerren Isgrigg, aka "Wylie's Angel," plead guilty to the murder of her grandson Wednesday and has been given a sentence of 28 years in prison.

Phillips entered the plea in an attempt to avoid dying in prison on a life sentence and to spare her family any possibility of further charges and the stress of a trial.

Last week Phillips was indicted on a second charge of injury to a disabled elderly person or child, a first-degree felony. She had previously been indicted for murder in connection with the boy's death.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Grandmother-of-Wylies-Angel-Gets-28-Years-122957338.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back