TX - Girl, 1, died weighing 8 pounds, parents charged, Wichita Falls, June 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by EvilOlivE, Jun 21, 2021.

1. EvilOlivE

EvilOlivE Well-Known Member

8 pounds?! How could no one have taken this poor baby to the hospital/doctor before this?

According to the arrest warrants, the child appeared to be severely malnourished and had sores on her body. When questioned by police officers, Wright and Bishop-Torrence both admitted that they had noticed their child had been losing weight since January, and they had not sought medical attention.

The arrest affidavit states that the victim’s father went to check on her before leaving to get fast food and discovered his daughter gasping for air. Bishop-Torrence said he saw his daughter take slow shallow breaths and heard a rattle when she exhaled. This is when he rushed his daughter out to his friend’s car who was waiting outside and took her to the emergency room at United Regional Hospital.

According to officials when they observed the one-year-old victim at the hospital she had dirt plastered to her skin and found small, circular blisters on her lower back and buttocks. The one-year-old weighed eight pounds which is below the average weight of 22-24 for a one-year-old.

The victim’s mother, Wright, admitted that she hadn’t been able to bond with the victim as well as she had with her two other children.

Affidavit reveals Texas 1-year-old weighed 8 pounds at time of death, parents arrested | KXAN Austin

2. mrsselig

mrsselig Well-Known Member

Ugh I just read this and came here to check for a thread. Sickening! That poor little child :(
    Egg and sperm donors look very well fed though. I’m disgusted. MOO

3. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

This is horrible. No name?

Why didn't they get her some help? Was she even eating? Are the blisters from laying on her back for too long or from something else?

4. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

Humans can be monsters. This is horrible. Heartbreaking.

borndem, Tutter, abr and 2 others like this.
  5. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

WFPD Officers responded to the URHCS emergency room on 06-11-21, at 11:48 pm, to investigate the death of a one-year-old child. The child had been transported by a personally owned vehicle to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. The body was sent for an autopsy.
    On 06-18-21, based on the investigation, WFPD detectives obtained arrest warrants for the child’s parents for the offense of Injury to a Child, Elderly, or Disable Person with a bond of $500,000.00 each.
    The parents, 24-year-old Christian Bishop-Torrence and 22-year-old Sage Wright were arrested on 06-18-2021 at about 8:00 pm at 1005 Westerly Place in Wichita Falls and transported to jail.
    The investigation is on-going

Severely Malnourished 1-Year-Old Girl Dies With Sores On Body; Parents Charged
    "Even though a small chance exists that a genetic or metabolic problem could cause weight loss, normal newborn screens and the lack of family history would make this highly unlikely," Dr. Suzanne Dakil, who works with the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, said in the forensic report.

adtl coverage Wichita Falls child abuse investigation: 1-year-old weighed 8 pounds at time of death

6. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

How that poor baby girl must have suffered. Not only starved to death but I would guess mostly ignored by both parents. Just horrific.
    JMO.

7. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

Why are they covered with that sheet thing on their mugshots?

Marg from Oz and abr like this.
  8. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

He was going to get fast food. FOOD.

He checked on the baby. Why? To see she was starved still?

Her breathing was labored and then she made a crackling sound. No doubt it was the death rattle.

His wife didn't bond with the baby like the other two kids. Bond? You're her father. Lord I don't have to bond with a starving feral cat I find, but I would feed them. Nurture them.
    Poor baby had been caked in dirt.

Real convenient his friend with a car was there "for fast food" and could drive to the hospital. He didn't have to let EMT's in or disturb unbonding mom.

How? How in God's name can this happen?

9. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

Wow. Even if there was some kind of metabolic disorder, sounds like she had bedsores. Poor baby was probably incapable of even lifting her head, let alone rolling over. Sounds like there are two older kids, so presumably parents were aware that babies tend to, you know, grow. A 1yr old should be toddling around - not flat on her back for so long she’s getting sores.

elliefant, abr, fred&edna and 2 others like this.
  10. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

When was the last time someone outside the household, such as a relative, saw / held this baby girl?

Marg from Oz, borndem, abr and 2 others like this.
  11. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

Sage’s Facebook. I’d like to use the term mother but I don’t think it applies in this case.
    Sage Angel Rose Wright

Lots of pictures of older child. It’s fairly locked down.

ETA:
    Her second profile
    Sage Wright

Male Facebook
    Christian Torrence

Sitting on my hands.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  12. Shamrock1

I skimmed the second profile. Anyone who has high blood pressure should refrain from clicking. There’s several older photos this baby’s sibling…a heathy-looking, well-fed baby. Full belly, face messy from baby food, etc.

13. EvilOlivE

EvilOlivE Well-Known Member

Both of my kids were over 8 pounds at birth (a 9.2 pounder and an 10.8 pounder). To think of seeing a 1 year old weigh 8 pounds just boggles my mind. Even if the mother had PPD and didn't bond with the baby, what was the father doing?? I wonder how old her other older kids are.

14. Shamrock1

From mother’s FB, it looks like one was born in 2018, I think. I’d rather not re-visit her profile.

And you’re right! PPD can be deadly and even if the mother was completely incapable of caring for anyone, there’s another parent. I’m assuming this child wasn’t taken to pediatrician in the past 6mo or so, probably longer. Even if the father was completely clueless about infant development, I mean…you go to buy diapers, and there’s a picture of a chubby baby right on the package. At 8lb, the diaper size would probably be newborn - newborn. There’s no way this child was wearing 12mo clothing IMO (I’m assuming they clothed her).

Wouldn’t someone - relative or co-worker - ask to see pictures of the baby? Did anyone even know this child existed?

15. modesty blaise

modesty blaise Well-Known Member

16. ILikeToBendPages

ILikeToBendPages Well-Known Member

I've birthed babies that weighed more.

That woman looks she has mental problems, and the babies look terrified. Not a happy family at all.

I took care of a little boy that showed up with the old fashion a car lighter burns on his hands on morning. Mom said that he'd got out and was playing in the car. He also showed up one day with a back eye. Said he said look mommy and jumped off the bed with a hairbrush in his hand. He was not a verbal child.

Laughing likes this.
  17. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz Well-Known Member

It looks like she has had 3 kids in about 3 years. I am trying to picture this poor little girl. My kids were around 8lbs at birth and they weren't big. But this little girl must have looked like haulocost victim. JMOO

Laughing and borndem like this.