Found Deceased TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, murdered, baby stolen, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 *friend charged* #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is interested

I saw a commercial that the Dr. Oz show is discussing this case tomorrow. Aaron Hernandez's brother is also on the show. 1:00 pm EST FOX channel

I found a short clip with Nancy Grace mentioning the death penalty with Dr.Oz

"Insider details from the case of Heidi Broussard who was found murdered days after giving birth. Her close friend is accused of faking a pregnancy and kidnapping her baby to raise as her own."

Nancy Grace, Dr. Oz Discuss the Heidi Broussard Case & Capital Murder

The Dr. Oz Show - WBNX-TV video

Last edited:
the debate is over Texas common law unions. It is my opinion they did not have one, since they had separated in the past & presumably lived at different addresses.
I don't know how you prove or disprove "common law" marriage. I had to provide original and/or certified copies of my marriage liscense, my deceased husbands birth certificate and death certificate and our son's birth certificate to get past the first window at the SS office. That is after doing a sit and wait for 1/2 the day before my number was called. We lived together for 5 years prior to marriage during which our son was born. He is older than our "legal" marriage. People shy away from real marriage due to (maybe) fear of divorce and being left with nothing but it's better to just get married legally cause no one knows when the grim reaper will come for you. Only my opinion due to my own circumstances.

In Texas he could get Heidi's benefits if he could prove common law marriage, which he probably can.

I don't know how you prove or disprove "common law" marriage. I had to provide original and/or certified copies of my marriage liscense, my deceased husbands birth certificate and death certificate and our son's birth certificate to get past the first window at the SS office. That is after doing a sit and wait for 1/2 the day before my number was called. We lived together for 5 years prior to marriage during which our son was born. He is older than our "legal" marriage. People shy away from real marriage due to (maybe) fear of divorce and being left with nothing but it's better to just get married legally cause no one knows when the grim reaper will come for you. Only my opinion due to my own circumstances.

In case anyone has insomnia, here's an exhaustive explanation of it in Texas: https://www.naylorfamlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Common-Law.pdf - the only time I've dealt with it is as an HR Director, establishing healthcare benefits for our employees. But it's most definitely not black and white. The item that stuck out to me here was "raising a family together". This does not speak to SS benefits of course. Just Texas law.

Re BBM
Why not Defense Attorney? Maybe they are just trying to level the playing field.
Its too bad MF's hands werent tied behind her back to allow HB to escape as MF was killing her. Then the murder wouldnt have happened to begin with and your services would not be needed.

So happy to see murder charges finally come down. LE was probably just taking adequate time to make sure if anyone else was involved before dropping the charges.
Same horse manure, different day, my friend. :p

We despise the defense attorneys when they whine about not getting discovery, the prosecution isn't playing fair, blah, blah, blah, but somebody has to make sure this creature gets a fair trial. It's the way our system works. MOO

The children of HB can claim her SS benefit, but the spouse will only get a one time lump sum death benefit of $255. Since they were not legally wed, SC gets nothing from SS. I know cause it happened to me. My husband died. $255 was all I was entitled to receive. We were only married for 7 years when he passed so I don't qualify for his benefits when I reach 62-1/2. We would have had to been married 10 years for me to claim his benefit. :( Our child DOES receive his fathers SS benefit until the age of 18.
I'm sorry for your loss, Catlova. Thank you for being here and for sharing your experience with us. MOO

So is there another affidavit that will be made available outlining probable cause (or the equivalent) for the latest charges? Or is this something that’s normally under lock and key due to Grand Jury or evidence for trial? Apologies if that’s a dumb question. I’m not familiar with how things work under those circumstances.

So is there another affidavit that will be made available outlining probable cause (or the equivalent) for the latest charges? Or is this something that’s normally under lock and key due to Grand Jury or evidence for trial? Apologies if that’s a dumb question. I’m not familiar with how things work under those circumstances.
Grand Jury proceedings are secretive. In general, the arrest affidavit outlined probable cause for the arrest. The Grand Jury will have a report of vote and agreement with the capital case but this may not be releasable for a while. The DA has to know there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to make a comprehensive case. From what has been released so far, it appears they feel they can prove BRD with extenuating circumstances (multiple kidnappings, tampering with a corpse, etc.)

You might not be a lawyer but you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night! :)

"Prior to indictment, but after an accused person has been booked, (meaning they have been arrested or turned themselves in), the attorney of record may make a request for discovery. Discovery will be made available as soon as practicable prior to indictment unless the prosecutor believes that disclosure could impair an on-going investigation or possibly place a victim, witness, or the community at risk. If discovery is provided prior to indictment, defense counsel should be aware that it is likely to be limited and/or incomplete at that point. It will be necessary for counsel to continue checking TechShare for supplemental discovery."

Under "things to be aware of" here: Defense Attorney Information

I can see the other side. If someone is being framed or railroaded, secrecy is part and parcel of the prosecution. That said, there are good cases and bad cases. A person being accused of child abuse during a contentious custody trial is one thing - this case is another.

In case anyone has insomnia, here's an exhaustive explanation of it in Texas: https://www.naylorfamlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Common-Law.pdf - the only time I've dealt with it is as an HR Director, establishing healthcare benefits for our employees. But it's most definitely not black and white. The item that stuck out to me here was "raising a family together". This does not speak to SS benefits of course. Just Texas law.
I was on a jury once in a civil case in Texas to decide if two people were married under Common Law. In fact, it was quite straight forward. The judge and attorneys constantly reminded us we only needed to consider the 3 criteria: did they agree to be married, did they live together as man and wife, did they present themselves to others as man and wife. It was a slam-dunk. I am sure other aspects are quite convoluted regarding benefits and such as in your situation in HR, but this particular court case was very easy. The one aspect I had not considered until then is that if you and your S.O. decide to marry in this way and later decide to divorce, you must go through the process of getting a legal divorce through the court system. You can't just walk away the same way you walked into the marriage.

I read it on this thread. Someone said HB's family must have feared a ransom to be paid.

Could the Fund Me appeared on Facebook ?

Maybe someone comes here to confirm or not my memories.
Iirc, someone alluded to a possible ransom early in HB's disappearance.

Now my thoughts on the "giveme" pages, and a request for a $50,000 goal. I understand desperate situations as I have witnessed in my own family and with acquaintances how sudden terminal illness and young children can cause anxiety and the need for extra $$. Of course this is even worse. My problem is, $50,000 is a lot of money for someone to manage responsibly if they have not been inclined in that direction before. One must use one's good sense in these things. It is a reasonable amount given this situation, as things should normalize during the coming year but sudden death brings on extra expenses and needed time to grieve and heal.
Having said that, my experience is family, friends, the church (and Heidi did worship) all pitch in with prepared meals, babysitting, material gifts of many kinds which reduces the need for excessive $$. Personally, I would be much more comfortable donating to a fund that goes directly to the Broussard's who most likely carried the costs of the funeral. They aren't cheap. I feel confident that whatever is given to them will be used to pay for this and that they would ensure the needs of the children are met, perhaps setting up a registered education fund that will increase in the coming years. Next only to the undying love of a parent for their child, is the undying love of a grandparent. Too much money all at once can be a recipe for disaster.
JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members