TX - Highland Park woman arrested, left disabled 1 yo home alone

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by fhc, Mar 23, 2013.

1. fhc

fhc New Member

NO EXCUSE FOR THIS, homes on this street are valued in the million $ range.

This baby should have a nurse attending and at the very least a nanny or babysitter. Her story is a bunch of bs, jmo

http://parkcitiesblog.dallasnews.co...ment-case-after-leaving-baby-home-alone.html/

Police have arrested a Highland Park woman on a charge of abandoning or endangering a child with intent to return, after they discovered her 1-year-old daughter left alone in an unlocked home last month.

Leslie Toomay, 32, of Highland Park was arrested on Thursday and booked into jail. She posted a $500 bond on Thursday night, according to the Highland Park Department of Public Safety.

Highland Park police found the child on Feb. 13 when they responded to the home’s residential burglar alarm in the 4500 block of Arcady Avenue. According to a police report, they found the home unlocked, front door ajar and lights and television left on. They found the baby lying under a plastic mobile on the home’s second floor.

According to the police report, the child had a feeding tube in her abdomen, but appeared unharmed. Toomay later told police that her daughter was born with hypotonia, a condition that causes her to have little strength, and receives several types of therapy.

In the arrest warrant affidavit, police say Toomay “intentionally left the residence leaving her 14 month old physically, mentally and developmentally disabled child, in an upstairs bedroom without providing reasonable and necessary care for the child under circumstances that could expose the child to an unreasonable risk of harm.”

On Feb.13, Toomay told police she did not intend to leave the baby alone and said “it isn’t as easy as it used to be” to take her baby around and load her into the car because she is getting “heavier.” :banghead:

2. Loading...

3. ozgirl70

ozgirl70 New Member

SBM
    Seriously??:jail:

4. alwaysonmymind

alwaysonmymind Proud Army Mom

CPS would have taken the child if this happened in a poor neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa New Member

Also from the article:

When you combine this statement with the statement it's harder to load the child into the car, I could possibly see this being a miscommunication. She thinks husband should be there in a minute, and so doesn't want to disturb the baby, given how hard it is to bundle her up and whatnot.

The only thing that makes it unbelievable is that the father didn't show up during the hour that LE were there at the home with mom. Did mom just completely misunderstand dad? I'm on the fence with this one, since I know that caring for special needs children can be difficult and stressful. It's possible that there was a miscommunication, but I'm doubtful given the facts as reported.

6. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

Amen on that.

7. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

I don't care if parents were intending to "cross paths" or if there was a miscommunication.

What if dad had gotten into a fatal traffic accident? What if the house caught fire?

This was just sheer stupidity and I agree, if this was in another neighborhood, it would be being handled very differently.

8. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

9. Sporky

Sporky The fork is mightier than the spoon.

Confused by this article. I don't see her name anywhere.

10. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

Amen sister

11. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

click the slideshow about the ball, she is pictured there. There are two other women in the photo with her which is why I think Filly did not post the image itself.

12. fhc

fhc New Member

The bottom line is that she took her 3 yo to a play center that probably wouldn't accept her baby. Why??? If her husband was on his way home, wouldn't he be able to watch the 3 yo, too !?!

It was the burglar alarm that alerted police that found the baby home alone, and even after the father was alerted to alarm he didn't show up for another hour.

BTW, Highland Park has it's own police dept. and curious that it took about 6 months to even bring charges. just sayin '

13. PastTense

PastTense Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...ighland-park-child-endangerment-case-dies.ece

14. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Yeah, kids get heavier with or without special needs, brainiac.