TX - Homeschooling vs Rapture TX Supreme Court to decide?

And there are many more like this family-- read about Unschooling as a "philosophy" of learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling#Criticism_of_traditional_school_methods_and_environments

There are a number of "fundamentalist religious adherents" in the U.S. who only believe in educating their children enough to ensure they continue to live as adults in the parent's chosen religious beliefs, and the environment the parent chooses for them. Reading, for example, is often only taught (if at all) so that the child can read the chosen religious text or similar religious materials. Sometimes informational texts are permitted, but literature of any kind is often viewed as "of the devil". An independent life outside the parent's religion, marriage outside the religion, or a career, or college/ career training outside of the home religious environment is never the plan for their kids from the moment of their conception.

Even kids in cloistered sects like the Amish learn more reading, math, science, and social studies than some of the more extremist adherents of philosophies like "unschooling". And the Amish allow their kids to choose whether to remain Amish, or leave and be part of larger society.

I'm very supportive of home schooling when there is actual education of children taking place, and the outcomes are measured to ensure the kids have the skills necessary to make their own way in the world at age 18. Trust, but verify, IMO. Homeschooling should be a privilege extended to parents that actually educate their kids-- not a "right" to hide behind to justify educational neglect.

There are a lot of people hiding behind "homeschooling" that are like the family in the thread article, and using "religion" to justify not educating their children to any basic standards. That is completely unacceptable, IMO, and should be considered neglect. I hope the TX supreme court rules against the parents. This would be a very bad precedent to set, IMO.

It's a delicate subject. Because I don't think there are definitive measures that show whether a child is learning adequately. What if they are like thousands who don't test well? My ex is a genius with a processing disorder that makes testing a useless indicator of ability, knowledge or intelligence. Or what about kids with special needs who are bullied and so their parents choose to teach them at home?

The laws used to be that kids had to be in school. Period. If they weren't, there were deemed truant. Now we allow homeschooling to accommodate religious beliefs and different attitudes about education. I mean, I see both sides. In Holland, homeschooling is largely illegal, but private religious schools are publicly funded even though they don't always adhere to the regulations about what must be taught. So they have a strong belief in the power of parents to choose religious education if they desire but they try to mandate certain things being taught.

Here, we are a very independent nation, with independent people, and a strong policy of religious freedom. And parental rights. I kind of don't want the government mandating how I teach my kids (ugh, Common core!). And I imagine other parents feel the same. Including ones I feel are religious "nuts" (the rapture is coming so no need to learn). How do we determine what rights a parent has to teach and raise their kids the way they choose? I guess we have to decide as a society what is acceptable and what is important and what is not. But since there are so many different opinions, it's so hard to come to a consensus!

I have a hard time even engaging in this conversation. I homeschool. Not for any religious reasons, at all. And I never intended to homeschool. I call myself an accidental homeschooler. In New Orleans, a good education must be paid for. $6000 a year before any fees or uniforms or pictures or supplies or wrapping paper fundraisers. And that was all before Kindergarten. I couldn't do it anymore. That being said, homeschoolers are the most well behaved, well adjusted, intelligent and HAPPY people I have ever met. I do not "test" him or have to send in any evidence of his intelligence. Homeschooling has a MASSIVE population now. I say we "community school". It is not what it used to be. When people ask what school he goes to and he says homeschool, it is like the name of a school now. There are sooo many people and so many groups and so many activities. You would never believe.

On Mondays, he gets classes taught by the Audubon educators at their facilities. This is an opportunity that most people would only dream about. Who else has been at the aquarium while they do a shark dissection? Anyone? Any public school kids here? On Tuesdays, we have a co-op. He has an hour of board games/ pokemon/ whatever these kids come up with, an hour of PE class, an hour of Chess class, taught by a master chess player who drives over an hour, just to teach these highly intelligent and very attentive children. On Wednesdays, we mostly school. And I catch up on orders. On Thursdays, we have an Engineering class and a Kung Fu class. On Fridays, we do field trips. Every single week. Everything from the bee keeper to the marine mammal institute to the recycling plant to volunteering to feed the needy. On Saturdays, we have a fishing and a geocaching class. THIS is homeschool. THIS is how we learn. To insinuate that testing and sitting in a desk taught only one way by one school of thought is the only/ best way is insulting. The way we learn (in my opinion) is the way of the future. A way for families to actually live life, a life worth living and full of learning. He might not be able to say his math facts as quickly as your child, but I will bet he retains a whole lot more actual knowledge than most kids will ever even be exposed to. Oh, and he can wash the laundry, cook our lunch and mop the floors. And he is 7.

I have a Master's degree. I am a huge education advocate---- in any form! If he ever wants to go back to traditional schooling, great! If he wants to homeschool until the end of time, great! But, it is unfair and honestly a little small minded to think that only children who go to school or send in a test to prove something to someone or sit with a workbook and a pencil all day are the only ones who are "educated". Education comes in many forms and many looks. To each, his own.

That being said, any time anyone uses something to hide behind, it angers me. Whether that is homeschooling, Christianity, a teacher, a boy scout leader, a kind neighbor, a coach..... if someone uses a title or a lifestyle as a way to hide something harmful to a child, it is horrible. It also does not mean that it makes the entire group or even a large portion of a group bad. All of these people are the tiny minority.

I can understand the will to teach children at home. Just look at all these flat-earthers communities, anti-vaccine movements, HIV dissidents. Most of the people who join such communities got their education at schools. And it may frighten parents. Sometimes it's so boring at university or classes aren't necessary that there's no wonder students look for such reviews edureviewer.com/services/essayedge-com-review/ on services which help with homework, with essays, etc.

I can understand the will to teach children at home. Just look at all these flat-earthers communities, anti-vaccine movements, HIV dissidents. Most of the people who join such communities got their education at schools. And it may frighten parents. Sometimes it's so boring at university or classes aren't necessary that there's no wonder students look for such reviews edureviewer.com/services/essayedge-com-review/ on services which help with homework, with essays, etc.

Really? They get these ideas at school? I think some learned them at homeschool

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back