TX TX - Houston, 'Swimsuit Boy' WhtMale 15-19, UP4547, Dean Corll victim, Aug'73

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Kymistry35, Mar 9, 2008.

1. taramarie

taramarie Well-Known Member

That breaks my heart. Hopefully this means LE is following a lead and may no longer need DDP's services.

2. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

Oh no! :( Per agency request?? Has this happened before? I’m afraid for what this might mean.

3. branmuffin

branmuffin Well-Known Member

The Houston PD has a lot to answer for with their cavalier attitude to so many boys going missing, writing them off as runaways. There were such obvious connections of the missing boys to Corrl and Harvey. They were hiding in plain site courtesy of the HPD. Dean Corrl found a killing partner who was as rapacious as he was. Elmer Wayne Henley was no dupe, he was no victim of Corrl, he embraced the killing perhaps more than Corrl did. He should never get out of prison.

I read Rhonda Williams died in her sleep last September 2019. Did anyone read her book The Girl on the Torture Board? I read some 2011 comments on a cached article where she was given a lot of grief by several commenters, one who was David Brooks' sister. Whatever her reasons for writing the book, she was a victim just as much as those who perished.

A little off topic but the widow of one of the victims, Charles Gary Cobble (it seems so bizarre to be talking about a 14 year old girl as a widow) married again in December 1973 to Martin Steve Elliott whose two younger brothers were murdered, mutilated and decapitated several months apart by a 15 year old boy.

Is there something in the water in Houston?

inmyhumbleopinion, nao, Suglo and 3 others like this.
  4. peace+love

peace+love Active Member

I'm shocked that I've never heard of Dean Corrl before. It's sad that he didn't get to rot in prison like his accomplices.

@Mrs. Badcrumble @MadMcGoo does anyone know what an indefinite hold is??

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  5. MadMcGoo

Corll was quite the monster, to say the least.

I'm not at all familiar with what an "indefinite hold" means in these circumstances...

6. cvaldez1975

cvaldez1975 Well-Known Member

this was heartbreaking :(

7. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

@CarlK90245 - do you know what being put on an indefinite hold means for a DDP case? If not, would you be able to find out, please? Thanks.

8. leilarose68

leilarose68 Well-Known Member

Really hope this is just a case of the agency following up on a promising lead, like someone else suggested.

Otherwise, "Indefinite hold" really makes me worry

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  9. leilarose68

Read DNA Doe Project's latest facebook post you guys; it has got me thinking... I am wondering if what they're saying applies to Swimsuit Boy being put on an "indefinite hold" with DDP. It is a high profile case after all.

10. AliceInPain

AliceInPain Well-Known Member

Maybe. From their post:
    Sounds like they are talking about certain newer organizations doing similar work (solving cases with DNA) but with an ugly attitude. They don't do this to help, but to score points. They want # of solves (wins) and recognition, not peace for families.

In the first post on their page they respond to someone asking about him: "The agency has decided to try a different approach."
    Maybe "the agency" (LE) has recruited one of these "ugly" companies to work this case instead of DDP.

eta: Re-reading, it does sound like someone else has "taken over" one of their announced cases, maybe even using DDPs work.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  11. MadMcGoo

This makes me sad. The entire thing.

12. leilarose68

I definitely think the takeaway is that some genealogy organizations have been swiping other orgs’ cases. It seems to be worded in a more roundabout way so it’s diplomatic and not overly accusatory or targeted. It’s more obvious if you read CeCe Moore and Redgrave Research’s responses IMO.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  13. peace+love

peace+love Active Member

I'm sure it's possible testing didn't work? Has anyone contacted the police department running the case to see if they'd share what happened?

MadMcGoo likes this.
  14. leilarose68

Margaret Press responded to someone's question about him yesterday on the pinned post saying "the agency has decided to try a different approach." That's all we know.

15. AkitasAreLovely

AkitasAreLovely Well-Known Member

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. It can be frustrating to have to be in the dark because you really want to know who this person was (just look at how many people commented on the post about the Sumter County Does' finally becoming active cases after so long).

16. leilarose68

DDP made a post today describing the various categories in the pipeline for DDP cases (pending, active, etc). Here's what they said for their cases that are "on hold":

"There is one more category -- ON HOLD -- . In these instances, every case is different. Some have had problems obtaining sufficient DNA to proceed, so are waiting for newer technology to become available or they are otherwise sidelined. Very rarely, an agency chooses to transfer their case elsewhere. They are entirely within their rights to do so, even when our donors have covered all the costs for them."

17. MadMcGoo

You’ve not been forgotten.

18. Snoods

Snoods Flounciest Faux Former Member

For anyone as obsessed with this case as I am, here is a link to another thread here about Dean Corll, Elmer Wayne Henley, David Brooks and their victims. There are a lot of great links to police reports and such. (Thank you @MadMcGoo !)

There are relatives of victims who posted there, and Skip Hollandsworth from Texas Monthly posted asking for people to contact him. This was before he wrote his in depth articles which have been linked.

TX - TX - Unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Houston Serial Killer, 1970-1973

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  19. Snoods

Snoods Flounciest Faux Former Member

:( Nope.

20. onceuponadecember

onceuponadecember Well-Known Member

Just found out about this story today, I found it quite interesting. I decided to do a little research around the story and Corll himself. I noticed a very common set of features (MO) about the victims
    • 13-20 years old
    • White or Hispanic males
    • Brown or black hair
    This MO won't tell us who this Doe was, but it might signal something out. From my research with timelines regarding this case, I'm going to guess that this Doe was from Houston Heights. I have no clue what that area was like in the late 60s/early 70s, I'll d0 a little more research regarding this area.
    From what I found from several sources, it looks like this Doe was wearing:
    • A khaki style shirt with an imprint on the back saying "USA" with a peace sign and USMC on the front (possibly?).
    • Dark blue corduroy pants, size 32x30. (I'm not a clothing expert, but from my research this would be a size medium and mean that Doe might've possibly weighed around 144-177 lbs).
    • Catalina brand striped swim trunks: Catalina was based in California and began national distribution 20 years after Doe was found. (Maybe the trunks were bought in California and/or Doe was from there).
    • A pair of white or tan socks: they appear to be quarter or calf-length.
    • A pair of Neolite brown boots that were size 10.5-11 in Men's.
    • A rawhide wrist bracelet or anklet.
    It looks like Doe might've been possibly enlisted in the Marines, supported the Marines, or possibly had family in the Marine Corps. Doe had multiple unique physical features as well here, including:
    • Brown hair that was no longer than just below the ear.
    • Approximately 5'2-5'7 in height.
    • Mild form of spina bifida that might've affected how he walked
    • Chronic irritation of the sternal ends of clavicle bones (possibly took a lot of OTCs to cope with pain?)
    • Natural teeth with no fillings.
    I know Corll often offered drugs to his victims, maybe he offered Doe some OTCs if he was possibly addicted? I'll keep digging and see what I can find here.