Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #5 - Sherri Ann Jarvis

Oh Sherri... I hope one day the identity of the person who did this is revealed... and if he is still alive, even 95 years old, I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in Texas.
Also, I have noticed she has a headstone with her full name and face on it. This is great!

One last thing I have noticed about the case but never brought is the day and time which she was killed. November 1st is known as “The Day of The Dead”and 3-4 am is known as the “witching hour”, so she was murdered on the day of the dead at the witching hour. 3 am is a very strange time to decide to murder someone, especially after abducting them on Halloween night. I wonder if she was purposely kept alive after being beaten until 3 am, we will probably never know....

Oh Sherri... I hope one day the identity of the person who did this is revealed... and if he is still alive, even 95 years old, I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in Texas.
Also, I have noticed she has a headstone with her full name and face on it. This is great!

One last thing I have noticed about the case but never brought is the day and time which she was killed. November 1st is known as “The Day of The Dead”and 3-4 am is known as the “witching hour”, so she was murdered on the day of the dead at the witching hour. 3 am is a very strange time to decide to murder someone, especially after abducting them on Halloween night. I wonder if she was purposely kept alive after being beaten until 3 am, we will probably never know....
Day of the Dead is on November 2nd, but I agree that 3 am is a weird time to kill someone.

I really doubt it has much to do with this case, but Dia De Los Muertes is a two day event (Nov. 1-2). This English language site offers more details Day of the Dead (Dia De Los Muertos)
I agree 3am is weird.
It is called Día de Muertos, and it’s on November 2nd, and Día de los Angelitos (Little angels’ Day) is a day to celebrate the life of the little kids that are not with us anymore, and it’s on November 1st, different things, related but different events. It’s a Mexican tradition and well, I am Mexican haha, we only know November the 2nd as “Día de Muertos”, but I agree, that it has nothing to do with Sherri’s date of death, although it makes me think, maybe the killer was a truck driver, they travel a lot in the middle of the night.

It seems more likely it was the "nothing good happens" after ____ scenario. Such as picked up by the wrong person, a Halloween party (although as mentioned many times, witnesses?), etc. A trucker or some other sicko certainly could have picked her up or taken her in the evening, kept her a few hours, and then it was over. Not because 3 am really means anything, but more the night was almost over, they were moving on, cover of darkness type of thing. Hopefully the case is progressing. Poor kid.

Hi Sleuths. I'm new to this thread, and apologize if I'm asking questions already answered:
  • Any speculation on why perp would leave shoes with her body but not other clothing or belongings?
  • Did LE determine whether the pantyhose are hers or the perp’s?
  • Police seem to be quiet regarding DNA found on her shoes, the pantyhose, and underwear they found. Is there any reason to think there wouldn't be DNA they could test against someone like Robert Ben Rhoades?
  • RE: bite mark on her shoulder. Is there such thing as a bite mark database of known perps who use that MO?
  • Why is LE not sharing the pic of her taken in Denver? You'd think that would be helpful in the Denver area at least in generating leads...

Last edited:
Hi Sleuths. I'm new to this thread, and apologize if I'm asking questions already answered:
  • Any speculation on why perp would leave shoes with her body but not other clothing or belongings?
  • Did LE determine whether the pantyhose are hers or the perp’s?
  • Police seem to be quiet regarding DNA found on her shoes, the pantyhose, and underwear they found. Is there any reason to think there wouldn't be DNA they could test against someone like Robert Ben Rhoades?
  • RE: bite mark on her shoulder. Is there such thing as a bite mark database of known perps who use that MO?
  • Why is LE not sharing the pic of her taken in Denver? You'd think that would be helpful in the Denver area at least in generating leads...
Welcome to Web Sleuths! Although I can't answer all your questions, I'm going to try provide some answers to a few,,
For the shoes, it was speculated in the threads that her killer left the shoes but not her clothes because the clothes could've possibly had their DNA (like hair or such). Here's one part of the first thread that discusses it. Some killers also like to take objects from their victims as 'trophies', so it could've also been that.

Police were already quiet about the genetic genealogy when they were trying to identify her because of how high profile her case was and wanted the process to be confidential (reference: The Missing Piece Episode 7), so it's not too questionable that if they have the perp's DNA or don't, they would be quiet about it.

AFAIK there is no database for bite marks or dental charts, unlike CODIS, so if they have a suspect they would have to manually compare their dental charts with the bite marks.

I hope that provided some answers to your questions, and hopefully someone else can answer the ones I couldn't :)

longtime lurker who finally decided to create an account checking in

Is there any information out there that suggests they gathered evidence from the perp (apart from bite marks)? Fingerprints, hair strands, etc.?

I found this article about a bite mark database:
Researchers Build Bite-Mark Database to Aid Criminal Cases

Not sure if it's in extensive use. I guess there's a lot of skepticism about the reliability of bite marks as evidence, which I didn't know.

So much skepticism that McGill University calls it "tooth fairy" pseudoscience, and the US President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology said in 2016 that skin bite mark comparison is not scientifically valid.

It's basically as likely to be inaccurate as accurate; not worth the effort.

They won't say. They play their cards VERY close to their chests in this case.
Yeah that sounds about right. I can't find any news about the interviewed "person of interest from out of state" some months back that I recall. I know why they say "person of interest" and dont publicize it but still

longtime lurker who finally decided to create an account checking in

Is there any information out there that suggests they gathered evidence from the perp (apart from bite marks)? Fingerprints, hair strands, etc.?
If you go to post #148 and watch the attached video, Detective Bean says quite openly, there are facts they have about the case that have never been made public. 50/50 chance those facts could relate to the perpetrator I suppose. It will be interesting to find out what those facts are one day, hopefully after they have made an arrest.

So much skepticism that McGill University calls it "tooth fairy" pseudoscience, and the US President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology said in 2016 that skin bite mark comparison is not scientifically valid.

It's basically as likely to be inaccurate as accurate; not worth the effort.
So...What I wonder is if it really was Henry Lee Lucas. They compared his bite impression to the bite mark on Sherri, and said it was not a match. Does anyone know specifically where the the bite mark on Sherri was located?

Yeah that sounds about right. I can't find any news about the interviewed "person of interest from out of state" some months back that I recall. I know why they say "person of interest" and dont publicize it but still
I didn't know about that! Do you have a link, so I can read?

After Minnesota girl identified as 1980 Texas homicide victim, hunt goes on for killer – Twin Cities
Here's one that simply states it. I know I saw it on like 3 other sources though.

My hunch is: They are looking for witnesses who saw Sherri after she went missing.

I take the POI statement with a grain of salt. They could be looking at known serial killers who are dead or incarcerated. (They can probably track their whereabouts on Oct 31, 1980)

Henry Lee Lucas was ruled out for Orange Socks because they found a work time-stamp which placed him in another state at the time.

My hunch is: They are looking for witnesses who saw Sherri after she went missing.

I take the POI statement with a grain of salt.
Not that surprising to be honest. It sure would've be nice if it were a case of "Come on! Open the door buddy, we just want to talk!"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back