TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe' WhtFem 91UFTX, 14-16, Nov'80 *GRAPHIC* #2

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by KT Can, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, did 1980 Huntsville have a local radio or TV station? That might have drawn her to the area too, as i can imagine the type of radio programs that were newly emerging in 1980 joking about being near an important prison. Less so a TV program, but every avenue should be explored.

MadMcGoo likes this.
  2. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

In the 1980s there was a runaway hotline based in Houston, TX...I believe it was the only hotline in the state... Is it possible they retained their call logs over the years...If she was a runaway she may have called the hotline...

RUNAWAY SERVICE PROVIDERS :

1980s

GALVESTON
    Youth Shelter of Galveston, Inc.

HOUSTON
    ~ Houston Metropolitan Ministries
    ~ Sand Dollar
    ~ The Family Connection, Inc.
    ~ Southwest Network of Youth Services

SAN ANTONIO
    ~ The Bridge Emergency Shelter, Inc.

AUSTIN
    ~ Middle Earth Crisis Services

Also in the 1980s payphones were used all the time...Back then I think you had to speak with an Operator to connect collect calls (possibly long distance calls)...I wonder if the Operators kept their call logs for the Huntsville area from 1980...

3. RookieInvestigator

The detective said in a video he was contacting students and teachers near Aransas Pass to see if they remember WCJD....Perhaps she was assigned to the Texas Youth Commission (TYC)... TYC had a facility in Corpus Christi called the Nueces House...Depending on her route from the Aransas Pass area to Huntsville there were other facilities in the area...They had halfway houses, state homes (schools), etc...The records could be sealed since they were minors....

Here's a document from 1983 but there's info about what programs and facilities they had around 1980...

It's just another possibility...If they can't find a record for her she could have been a ward of the state or her family may have relocated at some point...

TYC DOCUMENT (PDF)

**Hopefully the link works

4. Northfloridafaces

Northfloridafaces Member

This is some good info on him!

According to this, he would have been in Dallas just a month before Doe's murder. He was known to work odd jobs, and I think he was a truck driver at the time. Would have been 42. Most of his victims were white women between the ages of 16 and 32. He strangled prostitutes and "unfaithful" women. He did attempt to strangle an eleven year old girl though, so he may have younger victims. He made claims of cannibalism, but that was never proven. Also sometimes engaged in necrophilia- it didnt seem like he assulted them before the attack, though.

5. RookieInvestigator

Do you know if Cole strangled his victims with a garrote? I'm unsure if using a "garrote" is considered a signature method...I believe Anthony Shore and possibly Ridgeway used garrotes...Cole seems like a good possibility!

Jim_M and MadMcGoo like this.
  6. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo SomeoneSomewhere KnowsSomething

I can imagine the prisons being a topic of conversation for media outlets! Although several prisons had been in the area for a little bit, it’s still something a small town would be “interested in”. I know even today the units in Huntsville remain amongst the State’s “worst” prisons and aside from housing numerous notorious criminals of that time, were in national headlines for a few historic civil rights cases! It was also about the time they reinstated capital punishment...so I can definitely see lots of talk about the prisons!!
    Talk that could attract a variety of people.

I’ve never realized how many...facilities, I guess you’d call them... that were around then for runaways or delinquents! It seems like every old newspaper article I’ve read has contained information or a story about these places! Maybe they all still exist today and I’m just jaded, but I’ve always thought “prison, jail, juvenile detention (TYC) or ward of the State”. I’ve learned quite a bit just by researching Ms WCJD! It’s quite sad, but I sure hope she gets her name back soon!

Geez!! Another one of those “how did I miss this?!”! Never heard the guy’s name until today...and then to read about his crimes! It seems like he was not committed to one particular MO or “signature”, that’s for sure. So I wouldn’t rule out the use of a garrote. The article was interesting, seeing that he buried some victims, ate others, dumped some...it’s very unusual to see that type of behavior from a serial killer (especially one who was active for as long as he was).

Disturbing!

•MMcG•

Jim_M and RookieInvestigator like this.
  7. RookieInvestigator

I'm currently reading an article and IMO it is eerily similar to WCJD...
    Did the trucker driver go north...Or is this what happens to sex workers murdered at truck stops...

TRUCK DRIVER SERIAL KILLER

8. MadMcGoo

ETA: the article on the truck stop/prostitute murders does contain several similarities! I know a lot of victims are dumped along routes that long haul truck drivers would have naturally been familiar with but I wonder if there isn’t some connection between the C.B. radio traffic and the fact that often times these victims are found by other truckers? That has always struck me as maybe too coincidental. Similar to “The Texas Killing Fields” murders being linked to more than one killer. The C.B. radios and ‘handles’ and lingo would open up an ideal line of communication for these criminals! I’m sure they never had to worry about “pings” or any type of record of their conversations either.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    RookieInvestigator likes this.
  9. Northfloridafaces

Northfloridafaces Member

I don't, unfortunately
    But I will say that I found something odd; he was in a Huntville Prison in December of 1980. I know that doesn't really connect if Doe was murdered by him (he wasn't in jail at the time), but it potentially puts him in that specific area. Not to mention the fact that he killed at least three women during that November...
    Heres a lot more detailed information that I found last night

MadMcGoo and RookieInvestigator like this.
  10. RookieInvestigator

If each state retained old weigh station records, and checked all trucks that passed through a certain mile radius (put on a spreadsheet) in each direction they could solve some murders IMO....That would be an exhaustive search of their records... The trucks have to stop at some point...However, if it solved only 1 cold case, or saved only 1 life it would be worth it...

Then a national task force can see what trucks were in the area during a certain murder...I think some truck drivers are committing multiple murders...

Will this happen??? Wishful thinking on my part...The disadvantage is there are so many trucks, but if there are multiple murders in a certain location it would seem they have a regular route in the area...

MadMcGoo likes this.
  11. RookieInvestigator

"Despite that judgment, Carroll Edward Cole was released on October 4, 1980 and bused off to Dallas, where he would murder three more women by November 30th."

He was arrested in Texas on federal charges...Held in Springfield, MO...He fooled a doctor and they released him...I wonder if the doctor found out what he did after his release... Unbelievable!

"A call to the halfway house told Robinson that Cole had arrived in Dallas on October 8, 1980, two days after his release from a federal lockup for mail theft."

"After missing curfew several times, he had left the halfway house on November 3..."

So October 31, 1980 your thinking he left Dallas and drove to Huntsville and killed WCJD..He was breaking curfew so he possibly had opportunity...

Earth, MadMcGoo and Suglo like this.
  12. sevengirl

sevengirl Member

Wow. This is the 1st I've heard of Cole. Is there DNA for him anywhere? Do we have DNA foe WCJD's killer.....I've never been clear on that.

13. RookieInvestigator

Someone on this thread brought him to our attention..I don't recall hearing about him either until then...

Yes they have WCJD's DNA... He was executed in 1985....I think DNA was just starting to be used in cases around that time...He donated his brain to a neurosurgeon so it could be studied... Hopefully they performed a DNA test on his remains. ..If not they can try to get familial DNA...

CARROLL COLE's WIKIPEDIA

14. Earthbound Misfit I

Earthbound Misfit I Who killed Kimberly Shawn Cheatham???

I'm sorry, do we know who WCJD's murderer is? I know that WCJD had a bite mark on her back near her shoulder was Henry LUCAS known to leave bite marks on his victims? I read something that LE didn't think LUCAS committed WCJD's murder because he was in Florida around that time and LUCAS drove an old station wagon that probably wouldn't make that trip. That is what I recall reading at least.

15. Earthbound Misfit I

Earthbound Misfit I Who killed Kimberly Shawn Cheatham???

I see you were talking about Carroll Cole and not Henry Lucas, sorry for my blunder,

16. RookieInvestigator

I know Henry Lee Lucas claimed he was a cannibal....I know the murders he & Toole committed were cruel, but I don't recall anything about a victim being bit by him....

Who knows how many people and who he killed...They were a crazy duo...He played with LE admitting to crimes he didn't commit...I think it's possible he killed her but I need to look into him a little more...I'm starting to think a truck driver killed her...

LUCAS NY TIMES ARTICLE

**I'm still trying to find the Lucas & Toole documentary I watched....I didn't realize there were so many...

MadMcGoo likes this.
  17. MadMcGoo

I have exhausted my brain with the same wishful thinking! I have NO DOUBT that close to half of the Does and unsolved murders from that time period can be linked to long haul truck drivers! Or at minimum, people associated closely to the culture or engaged in lifestyles that would place them in the path of people involved with committing the crimes. I’m sure the same is true today. If you consider, for example, the amount of drug and human trafficking cases associated with long haul transportation companies (which happen to be transitioning largely to “owner operator” or privately owned businesses) it makes it easier to put into perspective that such criminal activities could go virtually unnoticed...even though it’s happening right before our eyes.

I only mention the “owner operator” companies because I know that most large corporations require logs and meticulously kept records of their Driver’s activities. The same SHOULD be true for the privately owned companies, but obviously it would be easier for those logs/records to be doctored.

I agree that it would entail an exhaustive search of records and some time consuming work...but like you said...ONE LIFE SAVED would make it worth the effort! ♥️

•MMcG•

18. RookieInvestigator

Who do you think killed her? What are your thoughts on where she came from?

MadMcGoo likes this.
  19. MadMcGoo

@RookieInvestigator HLL...that guy...well, he’s despicable if I’m going to state the obvious lol. I’ve read a ton about him and his partner (there is a Jane Doe in my hometown he’s supposedly connected to) and I think that even LE for the most part have come to the conclusion that he killed his mother, an elderly woman he worked for IIRC, and maybe a couple more here and there! No where near what he confessed to and I have doubts about the ones he was convicted of...especially OSJD! I think her and WCJD may have been victims of the same killer. But I’m starting to realize that HLL was just a deadbeat opportunist. I don’t think him or Toole are quite the “prolific murderers” they have been labeled. I do think they were monsters and committed multiple crimes and several murders but I’ve about given up on looking towards either of them when researching these cold cases. He’s one of several who only made it more difficult for LE to rely on the confession of anyone who claimed to have taken the lives of more than one person.

I do know that he claimed (And May have been confirmed) to have bitten one or more of his victims, BUT at some point he had a complete dental reconstruction! They claimed it was impossible to connect his “new dental impression mark” to those found on the victim(s). I can’t help but wonder why there were no records of his original teeth?

It’s almost a shame he’s dead...there are definitely a few questions I’d like to ask him!!

•MMcG•

20. MadMcGoo

‍♀️I need to learn to read through every comment AND link before I respond. Geez LOL... I feel silly. I got on a tangent of things that were basically all covered in your link! :SMH: I’m learning!

•MMcG•
    “Tendency for Tangents”