TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe' WhtFem 91UFTX, 14-16, Nov'80 *GRAPHIC* #2

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by KT Can, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Earthbound Misfit I

Earthbound Misfit I Who killed Kimberly Shawn Cheatham???

I haven't drawn any conclusions yet, I am new at this one and I am studying the different serial killers and what their modus operandi was/is, since WCJD wasn't raped in the conventional manner and instead was brutally raped with a foreign object/s so I can become comfortable with how they operate.

MadMcGoo likes this.
  2. Earthbound Misfit I

IIRC, If someone was going to visit somebody at the Ellis Unit they would need to call and arrange for the visit. If she was going to visit a prisoner her name should have been on a log as well as the name of the prisoner she was going to see, even if she never made it (which it seems like she didn't) that info should have been on the visitors' log. She would have needed her ID also, I don't know how old someone needed to be in order to go visit someone without supervision.

3. Spindlebrook

Spindlebrook New Member

If she didn’t know her way around Huntsville or how to get to the prison, it’s a fair assumption that she also didn’t know the protocol involving visiting someone at the prison. If she made it there, it would have been an unannounced visit. If LE was on the ball they would have checked the visitor log as soon as they know the prison was her destination.

RookieInvestigator, MadMcGoo and wary like this.
  4. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

I would recommend reading about serial killer Robert Ben Rhoades...He should be at the top of the list of suspects IMO...

MadMcGoo likes this.
  5. detective24-7

detective24-7 Active Member

That was definitely an interesting read, and maybe I'm just a chicken but I don't see how these young girls were just hitchhiking across the country knowing the possible threats and dangers and taking the gamble. Anyway, I can see why people think Rhoades is WCJD's killer but it doesn't fully align to me. Rhoades seemed to be into more of a prolonged torture before killing. I know WCJD was brutally beaten and unconventionally raped but from the estimated time she was last seen to when they estimated she died (3am), that seems like a relatively short window. I don't know. I do believe it was a truck driver but I'm not fully convinced it was Rhoades.

MadMcGoo and RookieInvestigator like this.
  6. BayouGypsy

BayouGypsy Member

I think I read somewhere that they were looking at the possibility of HLL being the killer but he had something done to his teeth prior so the teeth marks didn't match up?

7. RookieInvestigator

According to reports bite mark evidence is now considered "junk science"... I believe the point was an odontologist cannot say with a degree of certainty that a suspect's teeth matched bitemarks...

INTERCEPT ARTICLE

When I read about Rhoads I did think about the brutal torture of his victims in the 90s and beyond...WCJD was killed 15-20 years prior...I think I read there's not much known about his activities during the 80s...I started to think was it possible he wasn't as sadistic at first and evolved into a monster...

Somewhere it stated his "hometown" was Houston and she was found near I-45 (north of Houston). In the GQ article it mentioned that he killed Regina Walters with a garrote...I just think he's a possibility....

detective24-7 and MadMcGoo like this.
  8. wary

wary Well-Known Member

But maybe she didn’t know that the visit had to be prearranged?

RookieInvestigator and MadMcGoo like this.
  9. Earthbound Misfit I

I would think that she had been in touch with the person she was going to see. Would she just take off heading to the prison without knowing if she would be able to see him? IMO she wouldn't blindly go without contact from the person she was to see. If she did have contact he most likely have to call her collect, there would have been some record of that call.

10. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

The police reviewed visitor's logs and also asked individual inmates if they knew any young girls who might be prone to make an impulsive and un-registered attempt to visit them.

RookieInvestigator likes this.
  11. detective24-7

From what I remember, I thought HLL was ruled out as a suspect not just because of the teeth not matching, but they were able to connect him to being in Florida (or Georgia?) the day she was killed.

12. RookieInvestigator

Who do you think killer her and where do you think she came from?

13. detective24-7

To be honest, that's difficult for me to answer since overall there is very little of this case to go off of. To answer simply, I believe it was a truck driver who killed her (either that was at the Hitch N'Post where she stopped) or a truck driver who encountered her after.

Where do I think she came from? That question I don't have a for sure answer or theory. Most times, I feel we don't have any reason to doubt she's from Aransas Pass/Rockport. Other times, I think she may have used Aransas Pass/Rockport as a point of reference (maybe that was the last major place she was picked up hitchhiking). When I research other Jane Doe cases that have been identified, some are found many states away from where they are originally from. It's possible WCJD could be from Louisiana, tried hitchhiking to the Ellis Prison unit from there, passed through Aransas Pass/Rockport, and used that as a point reference when asked where she was from to hide the fact she was young and far away from home when the waitress asked. But then again, a lot of the theory that she came from Lester Roloff's Rebekah Home for Girls sounds very possible.

14. RookieInvestigator

Last week I researched the affiliate location of Rebekah Home in Louisiana...I read teens were saying there were abused and started running away...I'm sure all the runaways hid where they came from so they wouldn't get sent back...

WCJD could be from the general area but in a small town...LE may want to promote the case in Corpus Christi (or other big city in the area) since all the small towns may pick up the news from a larger regional station...

MadMcGoo, Suglo and detective24-7 like this.
  15. Sweetluv

Sweetluv Active Member

Maybe the reply to the waitress of..who cares...was because she was upset with her family for not wanting her to go /or provide transportation to the prison. She decided to hitchhike, and got into the wrong vehicle....
    Just not sure then, why they wouldn't have reported her missing...but then look at the Marcia king case.

16. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo SomeoneSomewhere KnowsSomething

Re: visitation policy, I’ve read through several older TDCJ handbooks and general employee training manuals or standard of operations PDFs and for the most part I gather not much has changed. In that case, inmates are allowed a certain amount of “approved visitors” in their file. Anyone under the age of 17 does not have to be listed as they are considered minors but they DO have to be accompanied by an adult who is on that approved list. The list can be changed every so often...I can’t recall exactly but I want to say every 3 or 6 months maybe, and sometimes that was up to the “discretion” of the warden. Visitors were required to provide a valid Driver’s License each time they visited. Photo, address, and *could not be expired*. Naturally, there would be certain people who would not be allowed to visit, I.e. victims, victim’s family members, convicted felons who were still on parole/probation, and anyone the Warden chose to deny. Visits last 2 hours, or 4 hours if visitors have travelled further than 300 miles and gotten prior approval from a Warden. (These are things that I’ve seen vary depending on the prison, inmate’s custody status or disciplinary record, and again the Warden’s discretion); regular visits were allowed once a week either Saturday or Sunday and only two adults were allowed to visit. Some units run visitation everyday of the week but the 2 hours/2 adults by in large is universal policy. These units are usually maximum security who do not allow contact visits, so it works out for staff because they aren’t having to utilize 4-6 officers for an entire shift to directly supervise a large room full of inmates and visitors at one time. Attorneys are allowed to visit just about anytime and usually as long as they need. It’s preferred that they schedule ahead of time but there’s not much give and take when it comes to those visits. Now, Death row is a different story and one I’m not completely familiar with. They are NOT allowed contact visits under any circumstance that I’m aware of. I’m sure that the length of visits is the same but I think the process of approving visitors is a little different. Most are going to have media interview requests and things of that nature. I’m not positive about that or the days that visitation is run. When I was there about 8 or so years ago, visitation was everyday, but that (and all of these things) could have changed since then! Then, there are inevitably going to be those officers who would turn a cheek to certain things or bend the rules for certain people, so even though I’m willing to bet WCJD would NOT have been allowed to visit any anymore there (considering age and lack of ID), there’s always that small chance she or whoever she was visiting had “arranged” for her to be let in! That is certainly not a possibility I’d dismiss!

I realize this information is not likely to bring us any closer to finding her identity, but I hope it helps when looking at people she may have been trying to visit or sheds some light on something that could help put the pieces together!

Always,
    •MMcG•

17. MadMcGoo

RookieInvestigator likes this.
  18. MadMcGoo

Your comment got me thinking...and I inadvertently stumbled upon this article. Definitely news to me! But quite interesting...

Prison Radio Show is Inmates' Link to the Outside World

RookieInvestigator and cherrymeg like this.
  19. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

I always wondered if she was using more as a landmark on her way to somewhere near it. A prison is a very clear destination that a lot of people would be familiar with.

20. MadMcGoo

That is a possibility! I don’t know what her destination could have been, Ellis was quite always out of town. But with so many prisons in Huntsville she could have just had the wrong one ... so many possibilities

RookieInvestigator and cherrymeg like this.