TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #3 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the prison unit and the person she was claiming to go see.....

Is it possible that no one recognized her (in addition to the fact that she was a young girl and didn't want to admit that) because she was essentially "catfishing" someone there?

She could have sent photos of someone else, or not sent photos and could have claimed to be much older. Either ways, keeping a penpal in that particular prison.

I guess it doesn't really help identify her, but its just something to think about.

Forgive me for saying this, but I have a feeling that when she is ID'ed, there won't be a photo of her from life. I dont know why, I just do. Makes me sad.
That is so crazy you say that because just the other day I had this thought. It just hit me out of nowhere when I was thinking about it. For whatever reason, I also feel that she won't have a picture to be shown :/

About the prison unit and the person she was claiming to go see.....

Is it possible that no one recognized her (in addition to the fact that she was a young girl and didn't want to admit that) because she was essentially "catfishing" someone there?

She could have sent photos of someone else, or not sent photos and could have claimed to be much older. Either ways, keeping a penpal in that particular prison.

I guess it doesn't really help identify her, but its just something to think about.
Doubt she was catfishing, she was young and beautiful and I don't think she would go to much trouble, especially on foot and hitchhiking to go to the person locked up if she was lying who she was. I've always thought nobody claimed to know her because she wasn't of legal age and they didn't want any implications OR she never intended to go to the actual prison and it was just a point of reference when asking for directions. However, if she truly was going to the prison, given the time of night she was still trying to make it there (it was late evening), I can't imagine visiting hours was still going to part of me thinks the person she was trying to visit was a staff member who would be on shift.

Pages ago, somebody said the main customers at the truck stop she stopped at was mostly prison staff either before or after their shifts. One of my theories is she was killed by one of the staff members who overheard her asking for directions, maybe they followed her outside and said they worked there and would give her a lift and then attacked/killed her. This would work why nobody claimed to know her, especially if they were only asking inmates and not staff if anyone recognized her or was expecting her.

It's hard to say. The way she was found makes me think a truck driver killed her and dumped her on his way out of town, but all the info we know prior makes me think the person who killed her was a prison staff member.

That's the thing, I'm not sure what it was like in those days but these days you cant just rock up to a prison (especially as late in the day as she was) and visit a prisoner. You'd have to be on the approved visitor list, have made an appointment etc. Makes me think she wasn't meeting a prisoner, maybe an officer or simply using the prison as a landmark.
I recall somebody trying to find a list of prisoners released that day, I wonder if anything came of that?

That's the thing, I'm not sure what it was like in those days but these days you cant just rock up to a prison (especially as late in the day as she was) and visit a prisoner. You'd have to be on the approved visitor list, have made an appointment etc. Makes me think she wasn't meeting a prisoner, maybe an officer or simply using the prison as a landmark.
I recall somebody trying to find a list of prisoners released that day, I wonder if anything came of that?

I don't know too many folks who have been incarcerated. My sister had to be on an approved list in 92 to visit her bf in jail, and you had to show ID, etc, but that's the furthest back my experience goes. But, you're right. You couldn't just knock on the door and be let in, there were steps you had to take to visit someone, even back then. Maybe not as strict as today, but I'm fairly certain there were protocols.

These are all good points, but we're talking about a teenage runaway. Teenagers don't always plan well. She might not know that these restrictions would have prevented her from visiting the prison. Especially if she hadn't been in contact with the prisoner and it was going to be a surprise visit. Had she made it to the prison, she might have been turned away, but it's a moot point because she didn't get that far.

So there is alot of mention on here about our girl having a bag.
I have never heard about that outside of here.
Is this certain? Only because, IMO, a girl..of any age..would carry something , if she was not local and didnt plan to be back by the end of the day, to put change of clothes, toiletries, ect in.
I dont recall the witnesses saying she had anything...some reports say carrying red sandals.
This is kinda important..no bag COULD mean she wasn't planning to be gone for long or was checked in to a motel.
Bag indicates overnight or longer.
Body was found with no clothes, sandals nearby, and what they think is her nylons to strangle.
I found a news article saying she had a bag at some point. No idea if the gas station owner saw it or the waitress.

Doubt she was catfishing, she was young and beautiful and I don't think she would go to much trouble, especially on foot and hitchhiking to go to the person locked up if she was lying who she was. I've always thought nobody claimed to know her because she wasn't of legal age and they didn't want any implications OR she never intended to go to the actual prison and it was just a point of reference when asking for directions. However, if she truly was going to the prison, given the time of night she was still trying to make it there (it was late evening), I can't imagine visiting hours was still going to part of me thinks the person she was trying to visit was a staff member who would be on shift.

Pages ago, somebody said the main customers at the truck stop she stopped at was mostly prison staff either before or after their shifts. One of my theories is she was killed by one of the staff members who overheard her asking for directions, maybe they followed her outside and said they worked there and would give her a lift and then attacked/killed her. This would work why nobody claimed to know her, especially if they were only asking inmates and not staff if anyone recognized her or was expecting her.

It's hard to say. The way she was found makes me think a truck driver killed her and dumped her on his way out of town, but all the info we know prior makes me think the person who killed her was a prison staff member.
There were locals who hung out at the restaurant. I even found a locals obituary that mentioned him spending time there. WCJD was last seen talking to a man or multiple persons in a station wagon.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
@alpinepancake11 Welcome! I, too, have been following this case for a while, and hope she will be identified soon. WCJD would be around my age, and I remember that time period well. (especially the fashions, music, etc..)I remember pantyhose were very popular, and often times, girls would even wear them under jeans, and sometimes with shorts to make their legs look toned and tanned(for example actress Joyce Dewitt wore them with shorts on the tv show, 3' Co., and was even spokesperson for a pantyhose company), also, I remember just about every girl had a pair of high heel "Candies", the type of shoe, I believe WCJD was thought to be wearing. Jeans were also very popular, and long feathered hair. <modsnip - photo of random individual removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all! I am sorry if I was too quick to post the photograph or if it was awkward. I am aware that no full body of her has been shown. I was referring to the facial features from what we can see and the height.
The story behind the picture was just my great-grandmother attending the parade in New Orleans and meant to get a picture of the float but this person just happened to be standing on the sidelines. People in photographs captivate me. I thought it would help, even if the person pictured is not her. Maybe it can get a viewpoint of what her full body may have looked like? Maybe a photo edit could be shown of what the eyes look like behind the bangs or a different perspective.
Has the area of New Orleans been checked out for missing reports?
@abbey345 It sounds like you had a lot of great memories. Thank you for sharing what you know. I believe pantyhose under the jeans were for warmth as well.

Thank you all! I am sorry if I was too quick to post the photograph or if it was awkward. I am aware that no full body of her has been shown. I was referring to the facial features from what we can see and the height.
The story behind the picture was just my great-grandmother attending the parade in New Orleans and meant to get a picture of the float but this person just happened to be standing on the sidelines. People in photographs captivate me. I thought it would help, even if the person pictured is not her. Maybe it can get a viewpoint of what her full body may have looked like? Maybe a photo edit could be shown of what the eyes look like behind the bangs or a different perspective.
Has the area of New Orleans been checked out for missing reports?
@abbey345 It sounds like you had a lot of great memories. Thank you for sharing what you know. I believe pantyhose under the jeans were for warmth as well.
As far as i'm aware, there haven't been any missing girls from New Orleans. Perhaps WCJD's report could be found there.

Great tip!

I am glad to be a help in any way I can. All of you are doing really great. There's more evidence and tips over the years for so many Does. And it really just glues them together in the end. :).
Yes! Such a great find that WCJD’s sandals could have been Candies!
Maybe the brand suggestion can be sent to LE and possibly connect a missing girl’s case who last wore that brand.

I believe you are the first to suggest Candies, perhaps in a very long time! If you are able, you should send in that information. Some cases don't have brand of shoes in the description, just 'high heels' or 'jogging sneakers'. Families just don't know what they wore sometimes. And others are very accurate.

I believe you are the first to suggest Candies, perhaps in a very long time! If you are able, you should send in that information. Some cases don't have brand of shoes in the description, just 'high heels' or 'jogging sneakers'. Families just don't know what they wore sometimes. And others are very accurate.
I'll email them this tip! Maybe they can match the brand's model to the shoes found at the crime scene.

There were other generic brand heels that were similar to "Candie's", but "Candie's" seemed to be the most popular and trendy. I will do a search to see what other brands were similar to Candies. Most Candie's heels were strapless high heel mules, although they did make some with straps. We wore them with pretty much everything, from casual to dress up.

Also, according to her Wiki page, under "Discovery", her shoes were red with light brown straps.Walker County Jane Doe - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member