Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would she have gone through Galveston, which is quite out of the way from Aransas Pass/Rockport?

Or via Houston? Seems like there would be a lot more 0pportunities to catch a ride on that route than the other less populated roads.

Unless as you say she got a ride with somebody she knew. Entirely possible.

Why would she have gone through Galveston, which is quite out of the way from Aransas Pass/Rockport?

Or via Houston? Seems like there would be a lot more 0pportunities to catch a ride on that route than the other less populated roads.

Unless as you say she got a ride with somebody she knew. Entirely possible.
45 ends in Galveston so I was curious if she traveled up the coast. If she traveled on 35 she would have ended up in south Houston. Since she was hitchhiking she would have to find someone traveling in the general direction she wanted to go. Someone could have picked her up and said they were headed that way and could drop her off where she could get a ride north. Its a straight shot from Houston to Huntsville.
If you are going to hitchhike you probably try to stick to main roadways because you don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere with a stranger. Or get thrown out and not know where you are.
Its strange that a girl that age wasn't carrying a purse or some sort of bag. That is why I wonder about her being with some one she knew. You wouldn't worry about leaving your bag in a friends car. Its also possible that she had someone steal or drive off with her things.

Speculating: I've wondered if she got out of the car, went in to ask directions while her friend pulled around the pumps to get gas, and then went back outside to join him. I know she wasn't seen to do that, but it seems like the way she behaved that might be likely.
Whoever she was riding with had to have stopped for gas somewhere. It doesn't sound like she stuck around long at the Hitchin Post either. Even though it was dark and she wouldn't be able to visit the person she said she was going to see by that time. I doubt she planned to sleep on the sidewalk.

What time of day would they release typically from the prison or the jail?

I have been reading through the thread and I feel like this was mentioned somewhere, but I cannot find it.

The Rockport reference is really interesting. Even it she wasn't from there, the mention of it means there is a connection to it somehow. Maybe it wasn't home, but the last place they stopped for gas..or a radio mentioned news spot. Maybe (and this is wild speculation) the person they could be picking up at the prison was from Rockport.

Let me be clear that last part is complete speculation. Reading through all the Girls Home articles really just intensified how targeted these young women still are. They are chosen because they have less chance of being looked for, and less credibility. Back to sleuthing.

For those earlier in the thread who are frustrated at the old records and newspaper reports not being digitised and online... newer is not always better. For example with papers rather than a memory stick, you don't have to worry about being hacked.

What time of day would they release typically from the prison or the jail?

I have been reading through the thread and I feel like this was mentioned somewhere, but I cannot find it.

The Rockport reference is really interesting. Even it she wasn't from there, the mention of it means there is a connection to it somehow. Maybe it wasn't home, but the last place they stopped for gas..or a radio mentioned news spot. Maybe (and this is wild speculation) the person they could be picking up at the prison was from Rockport.

Let me be clear that last part is complete speculation. Reading through all the Girls Home articles really just intensified how targeted these young women still are. They are chosen because they have less chance of being looked for, and less credibility. Back to sleuthing.
I have found a couple inmates with ties to the coast. That is about the only avenue I see at this time so I have been trying to make a list of who was there at the time and where they were from.

For those earlier in the thread who are frustrated at the old records and newspaper reports not being digitised and online... newer is not always better. For example with papers rather than a memory stick, you don't have to worry about being hacked.
Or lose it all because the system or memory stick decided to quit working. Happend to me more than once lost 1,000 photos. My daughter has almost no childhood photos bc I trusted technology, was the good brands too.

I waa thinking last night, I'd never even heard of Aransas Pass until WCJD. Is that a popular place? Would she even know of it if she hadn't been there at some point? I havent noted the population or if its tourist town or not so idk.

I waa thinking last night, I'd never even heard of Aransas Pass until WCJD. Is that a popular place? Would she even know of it if she hadn't been there at some point? I havent noted the population or if its tourist town or not so idk.
It close to Corpus which is pretty big. People have probably heard of it but you would probably have to say its close to Corpus Christi for them to picture the area its in. More people would know Aransas Pass/Port Aransas than Rockport. That maybe why she said both Rockport and Aransas Pass. There are also smaller communities that no one would know unless they were very familiar with the place.

Maybe someone should edit the title of this thread to warn for the post-mortem photo.

Speaking of the photo, does her hair look wavy/curly or is that just her layered haircut? I believe you had to have some layers in your hair to pull off the Seventies/Eighties "wing" style. Most of the missing girls look like they have naturally straight hair.

Is there a way to tell if a UID's hair has been permed or is naturally curly/wavy?
I looked at the post mortem photos.
Her hair looks to be naturally curly, about an inch in diameter. Her hair color looks like a level 6 brown with gold undertones. Doesn't appear to have been altered. The moment a naturally curly haired gal uses color, the follicles blow out and frizz is created. Those curls in the photo are delicate and fine. That's not chemically altered. MOO, with a disclaimer that cosmetology was my profession for 14 years, specializing in curly hair texture.

On the other hand, papers can be lost to fire and flood but once its on the internet there will be a permanent record of it. I don't know how many times I have heard of important evidence or documents being lost or destroyed in the police records storage.
Have they ever released any of the documents from the case? I really what to know what they did in regards to searching for her identity. A thought occurred to me today that she could have been reported missing but it was later recanted when they tried to follow up on it. There was a case where a mother went missing and the husband was finally forced to file a report but it was closed when a woman came into the station and said she was the missing woman and didn't want to be found. They didn't ask for any identification and it is believed it was the husband's mistress helping cover up a homicide. It could be someone reported her missing but when they were contacted again they lied and said she came home when she didn't.

I remember high school yearbooks being checked, to the best of their availability, but I can't remember if middle school yearbooks were checked? If she were at the lower end of the age range or had dropped out, she might be in a middle school book.
I asked a social media event page coordinator for the Rockport TX reunion of 1983 to post the Namus link and sent the FB link on their page as well.

Lol good point ...... :D

Lost a hard drive last year ...... without a backup ... unfortunate and frustrating situation lesson learned thou .. have a backup for the backup now. Lightning will not strike twice.

Awesome job in sending the links to the reunion class.

Last edited:
I was just reading about Samuel Little and thought immediately of WCJD.

He Says He Got Away With 90 Murders. Now He’s Confessing to Them All.
I decided to do that too yesterday. I can't find anything saying he was known to be in Texas in 1980 but he was in Louisiana around that time so its not that big of a stretch. There is a link between him and a Jane Doe in Houston. Houston and Huntsville aren't all that far apart and its on the way if you are going up to Dallas or Oklahoma.

EDIT
Anyone else find it disturbing how many serial killers were tied to the area that the time?

It close to Corpus which is pretty big. People have probably heard of it but you would probably have to say its close to Corpus Christi for them to picture the area its in. More people would know Aransas Pass/Port Aransas than Rockport. That maybe why she said both Rockport and Aransas Pass. There are also smaller communities that no one would know unless they were very familiar with the place.

Looks like the population of Aransas Pass around 1980 was about 7,000. If that gives you a little bit of an idea. Known mostly for fishing/tourist area now probably but at the time more industrial activity I believe.

I can say that as someone that lives in Texas I didn't know about Aransas pass until the hurricane a few years ago. Corpus, Galveston, and South Padre are pretty well known but Aransas is not as well known to folks living in Dallas or farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member