GUILTY TX - Irene Garza, 25, found murdered, McAllen, 16 April 1960

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Reader, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/31/justice/garza-texas-priest-murder-case/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

McAllen, Texas (CNN) -- All evidence pointed police to one conclusion: A priest had killed a beautiful 25-year-old schoolteacher.

Searchers had found the lifeless body of former Miss South Texas, Irene Garza, face down in a canal in her hometown of McAllen. She'd disappeared on the day before Easter after going to Sacred Heart Catholic Church for confession.

An autopsy determined Garza had been raped while in a coma, and then had died from suffocation. Near Garza's body investigators found items that belonged to the church, including a candelabra.

One item, a metallic Kodak slide photo viewer, belonged to a 27-year-old priest who was assigned to the church: the Rev. John Feit.

To say the scandal rocked McAllen is an understatement..........

During the next four decades, Sigler made it her mission to knock on doors, interview witnesses and catalog every piece of evidence in the case. The case got colder over the years and eventually faded from the headlines. But the cousins kept pushing until 2002, when the Rangers and Jaramillo reinvigorated the investigation.

Hopes for solving the case were never higher.

Two surprise witnesses had independently come forward -- each separately claiming that they heard Feit confess.

More at link......

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

4. time

time New Member

5. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

6. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

7. time

time New Member

Before her murder, another woman, Maria America Guerra, age 20, was attacked by John Feit in the church. He moved around, I have to wonder if he had other victims.

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

'60s....Texas....hinky priest - you know I'm in the house.

9. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

Thanks to all for the links. What a story!

10. Eagle

Eagle New Member

If the guy attacked the one, then killed her, he's starting to show the making of a serial killer mentality. Would make me wonder if there were any suspicious unsolved murders when he was other places, etc. Did he just "stop" because he visited the monastery ? I'm not buying it 'cured' him. You don't 'cure' them.

If he was the one that called the first woman, after the 2nd was dead, and tell her "you are next" .... that says a lot about his mentality.

Anderson Cooper's special said.... he told them he had her in a bathtub, covered in saran wrap and she said she was having trouble breathing and he left her there and went to bed. Not buying he just left her from the evidence. But he told one of the Priests in the morning he found her in the bathtub dead. Not wanting to admit he killed her intentionally would not be new, especially their first murder.

Elections next year may bring in a new DA. The present one, wouldn't let the Priest testify , nor the detectives, when he held a Grand Jury to get people off his back. Strange that he wouldn't. Now, both of them have died, and can't testify...but left delcarations about it and the details, plus sworn statements to the Rangers, so can they be used in court ?

Pretty convincing evidence pointing towards him.

He quit the priesthood (1971) married, had 4 children, now has grandchildren and is living in Phoenix, Arizona. Like to know more about why he quit the priesthood.

http://gnosticbent.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/murdered-by-a-man-of-the-cloth/

11. Eagle

Eagle New Member

A really in-depth of info :
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-07-07/news/altar-ego/

12. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

I saw her story this morning at 3 am... ;) But I came here hoping to find more. I can not believe this DA would not bring proper evidence to the Grand Jury. It just seems so fishy. I am looking forward to reading all the links and seeing how I feel after that.

13. tezi

tezi Active Member

LOL...I know this isn't funny, but woofie, you owe me a keyboard.

14. Sulamith

Sulamith Active Member

New DA is Ricardo Rodriguez. Hopefully, he will take on Miss Garza's case.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/loca...cle_50a93658-a5ba-11e3-b7ce-0017a43b2370.html

"Guerra sent a letter Friday to Rodriguez, asking him to take on a role as special prosecutor assigned to examine the evidence against John Feit, the former McAllen priest never charged with but widely accused of killing the 25-year-old beauty queen in 1960."

48 Hours Episode: The Last Confession

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/irene-garza-murder-family-seeks-justice-in-53-year-old-cold-case/

15. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

Good!,Rene Guerra was defeated. After watching the 48 hrs. story I had this feeling he thought he would go to heLL if he went after Feit, because he had many excuses but no reasonable ones.

16. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you.

I just watched the 48 Hours episode too. While I am always aware that these shows dramatize/add/delete certain items to make the case sensational, Guerra came across so poorly. His "reasons" seemed purely like "excuses".

It's not surprising in a way, as institutions protect themselves. However, what is telling in this case is that LE is on the side of the family and the DA stood all alone.

17. Stella

Stella Member

DA Guerra is showing an utter lack of spine in not bringing this to a Grand Jury. He's up for re-election this year, hopefully his successor will do something. Cases with less evidence have been successfully prosecuted. ETA-just read that Guerra HAS been defeated. Good news I hope.

18. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

This case is on CBS 48 Hours Mystery again right now

19. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

Standreid,Was there anything new in the case?TIA!

20. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.themonitor.com/news/loca...cle_b6ae0ade-8d70-11e4-ba78-776d0455e9e5.html

21. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

I believe the new DA has since taken over now (?) so I pray he has investigators pouring over the evidence on this case. Fingers crossed....I've followed this case for quite a while and hope Irene gets Justice soon.