GUILTY TX - Ivan Castaneda & Donna Norman for child abuse, Houston, 2005

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3025208

In the case concerning the older child, Norman was not home when the couple's older daughter was injured at the family's apartment in the 800 block of Harvest Time Lane.

Norman reported she went to a pay phone to call her father on Nov. 21, 2003, and left the infant, who was sleeping in a playpen, in Castaneda's care, a criminal complaint shows.

Norman said she returned home 15 minutes later, prepared a bottle for the baby and went to wake her. Norman said as she picked up the baby, the infant began screaming in a way that was "unlike any normal crying," the complaint shows.

Norman said she began to change the baby's diaper and noticed something was wrong with the child's leg. Norman and Castaneda took the baby to Northeast Medical Center Hospital, and the child was moved to Texas Children's Hospital.

Denial in past case
A doctor found the baby had a fractured thigh bone and subcranial bleeding on the left side of her head. The doctor concluded the injuries were not accidental and could have been caused by the baby being thrown "onto or against something," the complaint shows.

WasBlind said:
Feb. 7, 2005, 9:16PM
CPS has no plans for rehabilitation of couple charged in injury to infant

By ANDREW TILGHMAN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Harris County social workers on Monday told the parents of a 6-month-old girl who is hospitalized after suffering severe physical and sexual abuse that they may lose permanent custody of their children.

"There is nothing they could do to rehabilitate themselves to get their kids back," said Estella Olguin, a spokeswoman for Harris County Child Protective Services.

The parents, Ivan Castaneda, 22, and Donna Marie Norman, 19, of Houston appeared before state District Juvenile Judge Pat Shelton wearing orange jumpsuits issued by the county jail, where both are being held on a charge of injury to a child.

Their daughter remained in critical condition at Texas Children's Hospital, where she was admitted Feb. 2. Since then, her kidneys have ceased functioning and doctors have placed her on dialysis, CPS officials said.

CPS officials said in court they have no plans to provide rehabilitation services for the parents or to seek any relatives to care for the children.

The couple's 15-month-old daughter was placed in foster care last week. Authorities said she had a fractured skull and ribs. Doctors found no evidence of sexual abuse.

Houston Chronicle

More photos of the suspects, from court, are on the link.

Well I would sure as hell hope not!!!! How would they possibly go about rehabilitating people who use a six month old infant as a sex toy and then a punching bag? If you ask me, the ONLY thing that should be done to them is lethal injection.

Jeana (DP) said:
Well I would sure as hell hope not!!!! How would they possibly go about rehabilitating people who use a six month old infant as a sex toy and then a punching bag? If you ask me, the ONLY thing that should be done to them is lethal injection.

:furious: First he needs to have a 300 lb man bend him over and yell "Now who's the daddy?" :furious:

I live in Houston - and have some friends in the police force. I know first hand what they think about child abusers. I think these two are in for a loooonnnggg wait for trial. Just hope they dont repeatedly 'fall and hit their heads' accidently... :slap:

I called my father and asked what the punishment would be for a vigilante type crime against these two... I have decided to let the Texas courts handle it. :furious: :banghead:

Poor, precious babies! I just really don't understand this.:(
--------------------------------
Thank you sincerely Dark Knight for putting things in the right
perspective--for bringing hope & light to
bear on this dark, dark crime.
I will be praying for these little ones.
------------------------------------

golfmom said:
:furious: First he needs to have a 300 lb man bend him over and yell "Now who's the daddy?" :furious:

I'll vote for that Golfmom! You're my kinda mom!

Jeana (DP) said:
I'll vote for that Golfmom! You're my kinda mom!

You know what's scaring me Jeana? That it's gotten so bad that we're going to need a separate folder for crimes against children. :(

Dark Knight said:
The babies are too young to have any conscious knowledge or remembrance of what happened to them, fortunately. Let's wait and see what happens to them before trying to make sense of it. Right now, they need your prayers for a miraculous recovery, and for them to live and long and prosperous life as an inspiration to all. If they do live, they may be destined for far greater things. If not, then they've been called Home by their Father, never to suffer again at the hands of those clearly under the influence of Satan and his perverse ways.
I still believe it affects them, no matter how "young" it occurs. Imho, if the child survives, she will develop attachment disorder.

jmho, of course.

Sprocket said:
I still believe it affects them, no matter how "young" it occurs. Imho, if the child survives, she will develop attachment disorder.

jmho, of course.

For a time, maybe...I had a friend who adopted an abused 7 or 8 mo
baby. She told me that the stories one reads about the babes that
stiffen up when they are held (etc.) are indeed true in her case, but
that with much prayer and love, she was a totally different child by
age 1. Her daughter is 20 now. A very caring girl.

golfmom said:
You know what's scaring me Jeana? That it's gotten so bad that we're going to need a separate folder for crimes against children. :(

I know darlin, but I don't think I'd be able to bring myself in there. I can't even read the child *advertiser censored* at Disney thread.

golfmom said:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3025208

In the case concerning the older child, Norman was not home when the couple's older daughter was injured at the family's apartment in the 800 block of Harvest Time Lane.

Norman reported she went to a pay phone to call her father on Nov. 21, 2003, and left the infant, who was sleeping in a playpen, in Castaneda's care, a criminal complaint shows.

Norman said she returned home 15 minutes later, prepared a bottle for the baby and went to wake her. Norman said as she picked up the baby, the infant began screaming in a way that was "unlike any normal crying," the complaint shows.

Norman said she began to change the baby's diaper and noticed something was wrong with the child's leg. Norman and Castaneda took the baby to Northeast Medical Center Hospital, and the child was moved to Texas Children's Hospital.

Denial in past case
A doctor found the baby had a fractured thigh bone and subcranial bleeding on the left side of her head. The doctor concluded the injuries were not accidental and could have been caused by the baby being thrown "onto or against something," the complaint shows.
Golfmom & Jeana I soo AGREE with you both. The is no reason these two sick evil poor excuses of human beings should ever see the ligth of day again.

Further more...come on CPS had the children removed once already and placed them with her parents and then gave them back...WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING. The system I am sorry seems to fail way more times then it is successful it make my blood boil. These children should have never been allowed to return to either of these parents....I am sorry but a 5 week old baby doesn't get a broken thigh bone by accident...COME ON PEOPLE!!! And if they were placed with the Grandparents what the hell were they thinking giving them back.......so many people are in denial these days it is just sickening. I hope these two fry!!!!!!!!!

Oh that's right they are insane or depressed or on medication...which allows this behavior! That's what their excuse will be for their sick behavior just like the rest of the peopel who harm children. BLUCK!

ariel7 said:
-------------------------------
Thank you sincerely Dark Knight for putting things in the right
perspective--for bringing hope & light to
bear on this dark, dark crime.
I will be praying for these little ones.
------------------------------------
Praise the Lord for giving me the right words. And you're welcome (thanks to Jeana (DP) for bringing it to my attention, too.) Prayers are what's needed most, right now.

MistyGirl said:
Oh that's right they are insane or depressed or on medication...which allows this behavior! That's what their excuse will be for their sick behavior just like the rest of the peopel who harm children. BLUCK!
The thing is, some crimes are so horrible you'd be hard pressed to argue AGAINST insanity, to an extent. What SANE person could do such a thing? Obviously legally, they question is only, "did they know right from wrong." And were they in control of their faculties at the time. But these are clearly not normal people. Same for the couple who starved their children and pulled their toenails out. That's not sane. It's downright demonic and/or psychotic.

Jeana (DP) said:
What I can't wrap my mind around is what kind of straight from hell monster looks at a SIX MONTH OLD INFANT and sees "sexual being"??????? And what kind of Bigger Straight from Hell MOTHER allows him to do it?????????
I agree, Jeana. I am pro death penalty, but you know what? Lethal injection is too good for these scumbags. I would rather they rot in jail and be forced to become someone else's sex toys and punching bags.

I looked at the article that had a pic of both the woman & man (I don't dare call them a mother and father), and the woman in particular, looks so normal. Someone you would see in the mall or grocery store. Scary.

lisad71 said:
I agree, Jeana. I am pro death penalty, but you know what? Lethal injection is too good for these scumbags. I would rather they rot in jail and be forced to become someone else's sex toys and punching bags.

I looked at the article that had a pic of both the woman & man (I don't dare call them a mother and father), and the woman in particular, looks so normal. Someone you would see in the mall or grocery store. Scary.

The the plain and simple is that they won't. As much as we'd like to believe it happens, the state has a duty to protect these inmates and they do protect them - at a much higher cost to the public. If this child dies, I cannot comprehend the district attorney NOT going for the death penalty if she/he wants to keep his/her job.

lisad71 said:

They'd be isolated from the general population due to their crimes.

Dark Knight said:
The babies are too young to have any conscious knowledge or remembrance of what happened to them, fortunately. Let's wait and see what happens to them before trying to make sense of it. Right now, they need your prayers for a miraculous recovery, and for them to live and long and prosperous life as an inspiration to all. If they do live, they may be destined for far greater things. If not, then they've been called Home by their Father, never to suffer again at the hands of those clearly under the influence of Satan and his perverse ways.

This is the absolute best post I have read by you. Thank you with heartfelt consideration. I have the same feelings and wish these little babies a safe and happy journey.

MistyGirl said:
Ok I know some of you will not like what I am going to say and I am a mother myself. We need to take a test or be certified for the following: drive a car, snowmobile, scuba dive, perform CPR, weld, become an electrician, I mean if you think about it the list can go on and on. And none of these things are nearly as criticle or important as becoming a parent. Some of these people have no business even being parents. I know there is no way to stop people from become parents or to screen them beford hand it just is so sad when you see things like this happen and they happen everyday like it is a normal thing. :furious:

We send kids to school to learn to be many things. Many will use their education occasionally. The only thing we don't send them to school for is parenting. I believe that parenting classes should be given in high school (mandatory) and should include ways to cope with the stress of having babies to care for and daily stresses. (2 babies in 15 months) Most kids will become parents someday. At one time kids learned to parent by caring for younger siblings or other relatives and by watching others parent and care for babies. With smaller family sizes and the loss of extended family closenss they don't get the opportunity to learn those things in the family now.
I am not sure that would have helped these babies though. I wonder if the biological mother and father (I cannot bring myself to call them parents either) were doing drugs? or abused themselves?
My prayers to the babies. The perperators are young themselves, but I think that they have pretty much destroyed their own lives also. I am not a fan of mandatory sterilization, but in this case I think it is called for. Just in case they get out someday.

Dark Knight said:
The thing is, some crimes are so horrible you'd be hard pressed to argue AGAINST insanity, to an extent. What SANE person could do such a thing? Obviously legally, they question is only, "did they know right from wrong." And were they in control of their faculties at the time. But these are clearly not normal people. Same for the couple who starved their children and pulled their toenails out. That's not sane. It's downright demonic and/or psychotic.
I think the insanity defense is such a crock of crap and should not be allowed in any cases. I think the only place for these types of people who do these things is life in prision or death penalty if the state has it. They may be insane but that is not a defense in my eyes and they still should be punished.

Come on they get up and get dressed eveyday they feed themselves, use the bathroom, they function, yet they do horrible things to children so they are insane...NOT they are just sick individuals who need to be locked up or receive the death penalty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back