TX - James Byrd Jr dragged to death in Jasper, 7 June 1998

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by Casshew, May 8, 2004.

1. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

BBM.

I am certain it has had exactly the impact he wanted it to have. Approx. 40% of Death row inmates in Texas are black, and we all know how this "man", (and I use the term loosely), felt about black people. I'm sure he's delighted, wherever he is, that he managed one last act of nastiness against them.

2. Nova

Nova Active Member

This sounds like pro-d.p. propaganda to me. The pro-d.p. crowd (I don't mean Jenni personally) will make up anything to avoid admitting the obvious, that we sometimes execute innocent people.

As I understand it, everything about Willingham's story was eventually verified by arson experts. The one lie Willingham eventually admitted was that he couldn't bring himself to go into the younger children's rooms which were already ablaze. And as one investigator put it, people should withhold judgment as to what they would do in the face of a major fire; the instinct to flee tends to be overpowering.

3. Jenni979

Jenni979 Member

No worries, I AM big-time pro-dp...

The forensic investigatory tools don't point to innocence or that the fire was set accidentally, the new reports only point to inconclusive evidence on one small part of the case. The 5th Circut Court of Appeals said that even if you believe the Hurst report there was enough evidence even without the forensic evidence to convict Willingham.

Willingham changed his story 27+ times & even his own attorney has come out and said that Willingham is/was guilty of the murders (“The real fact of the matter is that Willingham was guilty. He wasn’t innocent. He really set that fire and killed those kids.” -Martin).

Besides, Willingham was given the DP for multiple child murder, not arson/murder.

4. Fairy1

Fairy1 No Country for Old Men

You're absolutely right and I thought about that after I posted. Though I truly doubt he was clever enough to devise such a far-reaching consequence, it's definitely possible.

5. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Killer of James Byrd, Jr., John William King, asks U.S. Supreme Court to take case
    A Texas man awaiting execution in a notorious hate crime is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to save him.

June 28, 2018

"John William King, 44, filed an appeal with the high court on Tuesday, asking the justices to find that a federal appeals court erred in rejecting his case.
    King, along with co-defendants Lawrence Russell Brewer and Shawn Berry, were convicted of the dragging death of 49-year-old James Byrd in June 1998.

Brewer was executed in Texas on September 21, 2011. King remains on death row. Berry was sentenced to life in prison...

Texas has not set an execution date for King."

Killer of James Byrd, Jr., John William King, asks U.S. Supreme Court to take case
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

In Texas, a Decades-Old Hate Crime, Forgiven but Never Forgotten

"JASPER, Tex. —
    Sometime after church but before dinner, Sgt. James Carter of the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office knocked on the front door of James and Stella Byrd’s home. He stepped into the living room, removed his white cowboy hat and bowed his head. Then, with a somber look on his face that the Byrds still remember years later, he delivered the news that their son James Byrd Jr. was dead.

The horrific circumstances surrounding his death they would learn later: Chained by his ankles to a pickup truck by three men, he had been dragged three miles, murdered before the sun rose that Sunday morning 20 years ago....

The family forgave Mr. Byrd’s three killers long ago and made peace with Jasper, the small East Texas town where they have lived for three generations. But as the nation faces a spread in bias crime incidents, the family wants to ensure the public remembers one of the worst hate crimes of the 20th century. In the years since Mr. Byrd’s death, both state and federal hate crime laws bear his name.

As part of the 20th anniversary, the Byrd Foundation for Racial Healing has announced plans to open a museum in Jasper and digitize an anti-hate oral history project....

In Texas, a Decades-Old Hate Crime, Forgiven but Never Forgotten

[​IMG]

(Betty Boatner and Thurman Byrd at their brother’s grave in the Jasper City Cemetery. The family forgave Mr. Byrd’s three killers long ago and made peace with Jasper, the East Texas town where they have lived for three generations.CreditWilliam Widmer for The New York Times)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------