TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The days of meth houses/manufacturing are long past us. I guess maybe there are a few extreme small time that cook their own but meth production moved to Mexico years ago.

Not where I live (California). We have huge amounts of meth made right here, particularly in the Central Valley. I'm sure a lot does also come from Mexico. When I did fieldwork in a poor neighbor (topic had to do with single welfare moms), the main conduit for them to get meth was truck drivers, who in turn mainly got it up and down I-5, where it was being made.

LE told me that it pretty easy to learn to do, if one didn't mind the risks.

I do wonder why LE said "narcotics" were found in the backpack, as cannabis is not a narcotic and most LE would not use that term for cannabis - but...I don't know the local culture, perhaps they still use that term for all drugs.

Maybe it was RX meds not prescribed to him. Example: Oxy, Vicodin. IMO

IMO only, these type of meds are easy for (some) young people to get a hold of. Some getting them from their parents Rx bottles even. A friends son was busted his senior of HS for selling them.

Within days of the crash and JL reported missing, MSM provided the alleged address of the crash, and both the family and pastor's church provided a one-block range [2365-2391] on Salt Lake Rd being thoroughly searched. I believe there's one specific abandoned house here (at about 2379 Salt Flat Rd) seen in the news where SAR dogs led the searchers. MOO

Jason Landry Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Dec 15, 2020

His car likely crashed sometime between 11:30 p.m. Sunday and 12:30 a.m. Monday, ABC 13 reported.

A family friend, Heather Sasser, shared on Facebook that Landry’s car appeared to have been in a single-car accident and had hit two trees. She later shared on Facebook that his scent may have been tracked to a nearby abandoned house, but he had not been found. His aunt posted a similar message on Facebook. Officials have not yet confirmed the update.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-15-at-12.45.07-PM.jpg

Nearly a week after his disappearance, search for missing Texas State student continues

Dec 19, 2020

Early Monday morning Jason Landry’s car was found on 2365 Salt Flat Road. Law enforcement believes he was involved in a single-car crash. The road is gravel and runs through an oil field. It parallels Highway 86.

Within days of the crash and JL reported missing, MSM provided the alleged address of the crash, and both the family and pastor's church provided a one-block range [2365-2391] on Salt Lake Rd being thoroughly searched. I believe there's one specific abandoned house here (at about 2379 Salt Flat Rd) seen in the news where SAR dogs led the searchers. MOO

Jason Landry Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Dec 15, 2020

His car likely crashed sometime between 11:30 p.m. Sunday and 12:30 a.m. Monday, ABC 13 reported.

A family friend, Heather Sasser, shared on Facebook that Landry’s car appeared to have been in a single-car accident and had hit two trees. She later shared on Facebook that his scent may have been tracked to a nearby abandoned house, but he had not been found. His aunt posted a similar message on Facebook. Officials have not yet confirmed the update.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-15-at-12.45.07-PM.jpg

Nearly a week after his disappearance, search for missing Texas State student continues

Dec 19, 2020

Early Monday morning Jason Landry’s car was found on 2365 Salt Flat Road. Law enforcement believes he was involved in a single-car crash. The road is gravel and runs through an oil field. It parallels Highway 86.
If you look back at the pictures I posted, 2379 is the northernmost house that appears abandoned. It is the house closest to the accident site.

Not where I live (California). We have huge amounts of meth made right here, particularly in the Central Valley. I'm sure a lot does also come from Mexico. When I did fieldwork in a poor neighbor (topic had to do with single welfare moms), the main conduit for them to get meth was truck drivers, who in turn mainly got it up and down I-5, where it was being made.

LE told me that it pretty easy to learn to do, if one didn't mind the risks.

I do wonder why LE said "narcotics" were found in the backpack, as cannabis is not a narcotic and most LE would not use that term for cannabis - but...I don't know the local culture, perhaps they still use that term for all drugs.
The term "narcotics" did not originate with media but was used by Texas DPS in their field report. While cannabis is still considered an illegal drug in Texas, I think LE is fairly consistent with their terminology where "narcotics" is most likely opioids--synthetic or otherwise.

From the DEA fact sheet reference:

WHAT ARE NARCOTICS?
Also known as “opioids,” the term “narcotic” comes from the Greek word for “stupor” and originally referred to a variety of substances that dulled the senses and relieved pain. Though some people still refer to all drugs as “narcotics,” today “narcotic” refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes. A more current term for these drugs, with less uncertainty regarding its meaning, is “opioid.” Examples include the illicit drug heroin and pharmaceutical drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, codeine, morphine, methadone, and fentanyl.

Narcotics - Drug Fact Sheet
Narcotics (Opioids) | DEA

I think it's more likely that whoever was driving, they went straight across 183, which turns into Austin street which, if followed about 1/4 of a mile, turns into SFR. Taking a left at that light, the driver would have had to take a slight right off another Highway (I believe it's 86 but I'm blanking out) then turned on Pumper Road, then turned left on SFR. If Jason was driving, I can't imagine that's the way he would go. Seems much more likely he would have gone straight across 183 and continued onto SFR. The accident site is 5 miles or so past that light.
No idea what happened. I've seen all the speculation on this site, but the whole situation is just too weird to even guess at what happened. As I initially said, I believe if he was incoherent and wandered off and didn't make it, the searchers would have found something. My family and I have tried to guess what might have happened and we've talked to others in Luling about it, but everyone is just guessing.
I will say that for as long as I've been out here and of driving age, I've seen a lot more "sketchy" people on those country roads. I've ridden a 4 wheeler multiple times past the accident site (prior to all this happening), but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. I've been nervous a few times myself coming up on a couple of cars stopped on the side of the road.
And as far as a continued search, I haven't seen any sign of that. I'm sure, as LE says, they are waiting on more information.
Also, I'm more than happy to answer any other questions about the area, etc. I think all the guessing about what happened has already been covered, so I don't have anything more to offer on that front.
WELCOME to WS !!!
So glad you joined us.
It really does help having locals here to explain and "show" or tell us the lay of the land and the environment of the area.
Thank you

Jason is a junior at Texas State University in San Marcos, where he was working to land a degree in the school’s top-rated sound recording program. Just this spring, in fact, Jason’s auditions to formally enter the highly competitive music program were scheduled in coming weeks, his father said.
RSBM
Thanks. This is the first I've seen of what subject he was studying and it explains why he had recently transferred to Texas State.

Last edited:
The term "narcotics" did not originate with media but was used by Texas DPS in their field report. While cannabis is still considered an illegal drug in Texas, I think LE is fairly consistent with their terminology where "narcotics" is most likely opioids--synthetic or otherwise.

From the DEA fact sheet reference:

WHAT ARE NARCOTICS?
Also known as “opioids,” the term “narcotic” comes from the Greek word for “stupor” and originally referred to a variety of substances that dulled the senses and relieved pain. Though some people still refer to all drugs as “narcotics,” today “narcotic” refers to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes. A more current term for these drugs, with less uncertainty regarding its meaning, is “opioid.” Examples include the illicit drug heroin and pharmaceutical drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, codeine, morphine, methadone, and fentanyl.

Narcotics - Drug Fact Sheet
Narcotics (Opioids) | DEA

I agree. I just don't think they'd use the term for weed. It's a much more serious legal charge.

A few people might (erroneously) use it for meth and cocaine, while wikipedia tells us that the term is only properly used for "cocaine," as it is completely banned (wikipedia thinks "narcotics" is sometimes used to mean "completely banned" in the US). I know that some older police still use it for meth, which is why I'd need to know who wrote the report and what the local custom is.

But I think we can agree that it's not good that narcotics were found in the backpack.

Happy to help and try to answer any questions about the area.

Okay, so I do have the weird question outlined above. Do you think local police would refer to meth as a "narcotic"? I'm pretty sure the hometown cops in my hometown would do so (I know that some of the older ones surely do).

I'm thinking that maybe Jason was trying to do some performance/DJ type stuff while also getting ready for a competitive admissions process, while still also trying to get to holiday events. It's a lot for a young person and meth is often regarded as a bit of a health (or cocaine, but where I live, it's less available and pretty expensive).

Okay, so I do have the weird question outlined above. Do you think local police would refer to meth as a "narcotic"? I'm pretty sure the hometown cops in my hometown would do so (I know that some of the older ones surely do).

I'm thinking that maybe Jason was trying to do some performance/DJ type stuff while also getting ready for a competitive admissions process, while still also trying to get to holiday events. It's a lot for a young person and meth is often regarded as a bit of a health (or cocaine, but where I live, it's less available and pretty expensive).
I have no idea, sorry. I'll try to ask and see if I can get any additional information.

when you were sitting there in the dark did you get any sense of which direction you would have taken had you immobilised your vehicle and lost phone?
Which direction would have brought the most hope for finding help?
I think it's most likely that he would go back the way he came, especially since that's where the backpack was found. He may have thought one of the abandoned houses was occupied. Additionally, as I mentioned in a previous post, if he had started walking south on SFR, he very possibly could have inadvertently turned onto Pumper Road and ended up on 86, although there are 1-2 houses on Pumper Road between SFR and 86.

I think it's most likely that he would go back the way he came, especially since that's where the backpack was found. He may have thought one of the abandoned houses was occupied. Additionally, as I mentioned in a previous post, if he had started walking south on SFR, he very possibly could have inadvertently turned onto Pumper Road and ended up on 86, although there are 1-2 houses on Pumper Road between SFR and 86.
Are there any cctv cameras which might record entrances or exits to that road? Any possibility that a full record of all vehicles that used that road that night exists, do you imagine? Thanks a lot.

I’m not a local exactly but I live about 1 1/2 hours away, and I can totally see cops in Texas calling meth a narcotic, but I do not think they would use that term for weed. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member