TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by California Sunset, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Ursamajr

Ursamajr Well-Known Member

so strange, it was in the preview! Sorry about that.

Edit: my original post was just a short description of how Waze looks to users. These are the default settings and how other users appear on screen anonymously.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    DeDee, Marg from Oz, Rolo and 12 others like this.

2. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

A few of Israel Keyes’ family members belong to that church! :eek:

(Not that I think Jason has joined them or that I think IK’s family had anything to do with his crimes — I’m just saying!)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  3. Gobstopper

Gobstopper Well-Known Member

Are there any pictures of the car at the crash location? I saw the picture of the backpack on the road but don't recall seeing the car.

Marg from Oz, Flicka1 and fcavanaugh like this.
  4. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

The still photo of the backpack on the road was from DPS officer's body-worn camera ("BWC"). I believe there's likely similar footage of the crashed vehicle but no photo was released by LE.

JL's dad released one photo of the crashed vehicle in the tree-line that was reportedly taken by the firefighter that first reported the crash.

This photo was posted in prior threads.

Marg from Oz, Rolo, mlhenn and 11 others like this.
  5. zachvan

zachvan Member

I understand that JL was most likely disoriented from a combination of a head injury, the MJ, and how fast everything must have happened. I also tend to think that he may have gone back to his car at some point once he realized he wasn't going to be able to just walk back or find someone for help. However, why not keep the car on and turn on the heat and wait it out? Obviously he was cold as I am with many of you that think hypothermia set in and thats why his clothes were taken off prior to him burrowing somewhere (most likely the abandoned house/barn). Have we confirmed that the car, and more specifically the heat, was no longer able to function after the crash?

Marg from Oz, Rolo, misgrn and 6 others like this.
  6. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

According to the auction report, the 2003 vehicle is in "running condition." Although not drivable from the accident (i.e., front fender/tire damage), there's no reason to believe that the heater was not working. We know the lights were left on when JL walked away. MOO

Marg from Oz, Rolo, misgrn and 11 others like this.
  7. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

8. zachvan

zachvan Member

Thanks for the response and information. This makes me think one of two things then. The MJ was laced with something or was a “bad batch.” With the number of joints in the bag it seems like he was a fairly regular weed smoker and could function even while under the influence. <modsnip> Or option two that he was picked up by someone and foul play was involved. Was there any history of mental health that might contributed to the behavior?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
  9. ForensicToxicologist

ForensicToxicologist “People lie. Evidence doesn’t.”

I do wish they would change that picture. “That” Jason doesn’t match with the “last seen” Jason

Marg from Oz, Rolo, Flicka1 and 5 others like this.
  10. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Really?! Wow, I didn’t know that.

Marg from Oz, misgrn, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  11. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

An inside look into the funeral of serial killer Israel Keyes

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - The family of confessed serial killer Israel Keyes and members of 'The Church of Wells' were in Washington State on Sunday for Keyes funeral. During the sermon, Pastor Jake Gardner details the many times members of the church tried to get Israel Keyes to repent and denounce his atheism.

Pastor Jake Gardner titled the sermon he gave at Israel Keyes funeral on Sunday, "The Funeral of a Serial Killer."

Gardner begins the funeral by recalling how he received the news of Keyes' death.
    He said, "It was 11:51 am, December 2, 2012 this past Sunday a week from today that I got the call. Tanner Trudeau, son-in-law to Ms. Heidi Keyes, the mother of Israel Keys telling me the news...that Israel had died. He committed suicide."

:rolleyes:o_O

Marg from Oz, Rolo, jash and 5 others like this.
  12. ElementalLaura

ElementalLaura Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Please keep discussion on this thread related to Jason Landry and his disappearance out of respect for your fellow posters.
    If you wish to discuss Israel Keyes, please do so in the Israel Keyes forum.

13. Limecat

Limecat Lime + Cat = Limecat

Is anyone else as confused by the 67 minute window as I am? Is
    LE asking just because the digital footprint stopped?

I just keep thinking that the accident happened shortly after JL went through that last intersection.

I don’t know enough about digital footprints but what would a person have to do to make that happen? Airplane mode but does that block everything? Would you have to remove your SIM card?

I’m so confused.

Marg from Oz, Rolo, mlhenn and 11 others like this.
  14. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I believe the significance of the 67 minutes and request for help from the public is that JL was only about 10 minutes from the crash site, and authorities think that leaves nearly an hour where JL could have been seen by or had an encounter with the public.

LE has already confirmed the phone was on and emitting a signal when it was left behind.

Marg from Oz, Rolo, Gosimoes and 13 others like this.
  15. Limecat

Limecat Lime + Cat = Limecat

Thank you Seattle1!

Marg from Oz, Rolo, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Finlay

Finlay Call me Finn

Did they say it was emitting a signal when left behind? I'm still confused as to when & where they can confirm that the phone did have a signal. When they say the digital footprint ended after that intersection, do they equate that with the phone not having signal? Or could they believe that it did have signal the entire time after he passed thru that intersection, yet it didn't leave a "digital footprint" for some reason? And if so, how could they confirm that it had a signal the entire time yet claim that it didn't leave a footprint? ...in my eyes, if they can confirm it had a signal, that's leaving a footprint. So then I'm left thinking LE has no evidence that the phone had a signal after that intersection, but believe it did have a signal (& was again leaving a "footprint") after it was found by his dad. So again, I'm stuck with the question of when/where/why do they believe the phone began showing evidence that it had a signal after Jason passed thru that intersection.

Marg from Oz, Rolo, mlhenn and 7 others like this.
  17. Finlay

Finlay Call me Finn

I should add to my last post the thought that if LE has evidence that the phone had a signal at the crash location & was in fact leaving a digital footprint at that location, they should also know WHEN it started leaving a footprint/emitting a signaln
    at that location. So that info could help narrow the 67 min down to a smaller window between when the dignal/footprint was lost at that intersection & when it was re-established at the scene of the accident. ...but if they have that info, I don't think it's been shared - unless I missed it.

18. Curious_in_NC

Curious_in_NC Well-Known Member

OK, this is an intriguing theory that might explain some things, albeit it's still incredibly unlikely.
    I think a random encounter between a disoriented JL and church members on a desolate gravel road is exceedingly unlikely. Church members staging the accident also seems equally unlikely because of the required logistics and the unavoidable LE involvement.

But the 67 minute window and switch from Waze to Snapchat remain unexplained. And whoever JL snapchatted with (if anyone) has not yet come forward. What if JL was meeting someone at Luling connected to the church? Maybe they supplied the (as yet unconfirmed to be) laced weed as an incentive? What if JL met with him/them in Luling and got cold feet leading to a chase and the accident on SFL? Then they forced him to abandon his clothes and possessions in the middle of the road?

Pros: 1. As @Gemmie pointed out, the church has "recruited" new members before late at night. 2. They have connections with, and have recruited at, Texas schools and universities. 3. We'd probably all like any theory where JL is still alive. 4. They also allegedly "recruited" a young man from Austin using drug laced water:
    Dr. Phil Exposes 'Cult' That Some Say Is Masking Itself as Christian Church in Wells, Texas
    Church of Wells - Wikipedia

Cons: 1. Except for the last few miles on SFR, JL was headed away from Wells. 2. After alienating the residents of Wells a couple of years ago , the church seems to have kept a low profile. 3. No evidence from LE so far that any third party was ever involved in the accident. 4. Why go to this much trouble if they could have just "recruited" JL from San Marcos?

In all, the odds of the church's involvement isn't quite zero, but it's a number that's pretty close to there.

DeDee, Marg from Oz, Rolo and 10 others like this.
  19. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

Although the theory of his leaving to join a church/cult can be as easily debunked as so many of the other theories, it is the one theory that has him still alive and I have to go with it till we learn otherwise.

20. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student

Investigators are now looking to flesh out what happened in the approximate 67-minute window between his cell phone data stopping and the discovery of the crash. The sheriff’s office said his phone had signal and was on, so investigators are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the Magnolia Avenue intersection.

Investigators are also still waiting on some search warrants from social media and tech companies to be returned, CCSO said.

Marg from Oz, Rolo, misgrn and 12 others like this.