TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by California Sunset, Dec 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondaba

jondaba Former Member

What a well-researched and well-written post. I accept your premise that searches are far from infallible and maybe the SFR searches overlooked JL. Not my theory, but now I don’t rule it out.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Nathan Allen Heathco, 22 in Liberty County TX who was last seen walking away after a car crash. A fisherman found NH's body Sunday morning lying near a tributary that leads into the Trinity River near Private Road 442 in south Liberty County, according to the Liberty County Sheriff's Office. This area was just beyond the search perimeter covered by TES on Friday.

Jan 17, 2021 Body found amid search for missing Liberty Co. 22-year-old

3. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Vicky Brantley was recently located in the exact location where she was last seen. According to the report on the Silver Alert issued she was last seen at Stonehenge Drive and Mulberry Lane in Greenville in a wooded area back in Dec 2020. Her remains were found in 18 June 2021 near Mulberry and Stonehenge Drive. According to this report, "Investigators say they are confident first responders searched the area where her remains were found numerous times."

Found Deceased - NC - Vicky Diane Brantley, 65, Greenville, Dec 2020 *dementia*

ETA - Great post, btw! TY for your efforts to find these. There are many more, I'm sure. Other sleuthers will likely have plenty of examples to share. Perhaps you should start a thread dedicated to this topic on a general discussion board.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  4. sarawithanh

sarawithanh Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen/heard any updates about the Geofence situation? I can’t find anything online since May, but maybe someone has seen something on FB?

Rolo, DeDee, swedeheart and 6 others like this.
  5. Altklug

Altklug Well-Known Member

Yes I vote for a thread on this topic as well!
    Quite an interesting and well written
    Beitrag !

6. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Holly Bobo's remains were found later in the woods where both air and ground searches had been conducted, as well as many volunteer searches. I believe it was a hunter who found the body, or at least part of it. Molly Tibbet's body was also found in an area previously searched. Imo

7. Gemmie

Gemmie Clam dip nose

I agree on starting a new topic for this. I say that respectfully, because while this info is good to have stored somewhere for easy access, Jason's thread isn't the best place for it IMHO. :)

8. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

LE conducted multiple searches in the area around Book Road where Steven's abandoned car was found in May 2020. According to a report from yesterday, his remains were located a few weeks ago.

Found Deceased - PA - Steven C. Brode, 46 - New Paris, Huntingdon County - 30 April 2020

ETA - links

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  9. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

I thought that decomposing bodies had a very strong, unmistakable odor. How could all of those folks and their highly trained dogs not have hit on that? I know that night time temps were in the high 30's but that is not nearly cold enough to to halt decomposition. Is the smell of oil that strong around the site?

Rolo, YaYa_521, Flicka1 and 4 others like this.
  10. bombardier

bombardier Well-Known Member

I think therein lies one of the biggest questions in this case; why haven't tracking dogs/cadaver dogs found anything in this case? I did some research and it's pretty much accepted fact that well-trained cadaver dogs are very effective, even if the remains are months old/all dried up, and they're effectiveness doesn't dip until conditions go under 4C (some even say below freezing is fine).
    We know they've alerted a few times - they tracked a scent trail for about a quarter mile from the crash site, and others (I believe these were 2 separate instances?) alerted to a nearby pond, which was drained and nothing found. (On Jason Landry #1 forum people were also saying dogs tracked to an abandoned house but I can't find any sources).
    I think you're on the right track suggesting that the oil molecules might be covering up other potential decomp- anyone know if the area is especially wet and swampy? I can imagine that might throw up some compounds that are similar to human decomp and confuse the dogs. I'm thinking similar scents confused the dogs and that's why they alerted to the pond. I don't think temperatures played a role deterring the dogs (looking up a Luling TX winter - sounds like a Canadian spring!) as they've shown that they function fine above freezing. It was a high of 12 degrees (54 farenheit) that day, and in the next two weeks it got significantly warmer; I feel like those sorts of temps would still allow for adequate decomposition, as you said. If he was in water (slows decomp) and the water was significantly colder, that could impact it though.
    Sadly, I think the biggest impact on the dogs is just how vast the search area is! I know dogs' noses are good, but there's always a limit, and it depends on how much wind is present and if it's pointing in their direction. A lot of studies I could find on dog efficacy (if anyone's interested I'd give this one a read!) tested the dogs in small search areas (study linked used 20m squared areas and even then, the dogs struggled with some samples) as it would be difficult to approve a study where you need miles of open terrain and days and days of potential searching time.

Rolo, renarde, AzPistonsGirl and 11 others like this.
  11. sarawithanh

Decomp is slower when it’s cold out and smell not nearly as strong, but trained cadaver dogs should still smell it…i don’t think oil smell would interfere too much.

I can’t stop thinking he’s in an oil tank or well or something….maybe in traveling oil tank or not near that location. I don’t know much about that oil stuff, but i don’t think he took his clothes off and dropped his pet fish for no reason. Maybe a psychotic break, but he would have shown up by now. Same with the hypothermia theory.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Rolo, renarde, Warwick7 and 7 others like this.
  12. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where are you Jason? Temps were too cold, night was too dark… you couldn’t have gone too far.

Rolo, Flight154, ChiCubs2016 and 10 others like this.
  13. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

Fantastic idea "a traveling oil tank" along the railroad lines ...?

Jason may like that. Dropping the articles of clothing on a chilly evening is bizarre and abnormal behavior. Inexplicable really. Sure wish we knew why he walked away and vanished.

14. Gemmie

Gemmie Clam dip nose

Unless he didn't go by foot, the scene was staged, or he's somewhere the searchers haven't looked (tanks, etc.).

15. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think he may be somewhere they haven’t looked. But I don’t know for sure. I’d really like his family to have some answers!

16. minneolo

minneolo Well-Known Member

I’d just like to say how much I appreciate the wide range of opinions here at Websleuths. This is a good example thread - it’s been months since any new info or clues were released. The facts we do have don’t seem to fit together perfectly into any prevailing theory (e.g., why the undressing? Why has SAR been unsuccessful?).

And from these few clues, we have SIGNIFICANT differences of opinion on what theory is the “only logical fit”. I this thread I’ve seen Occam’s razor applied to both foul play and accident.

I personally am in the camp of distraction + crash + head injury + paradoxical undressing + Jason’s remains will eventually be located and we will think “how was he missed!”.

Rolo, Flight154, Denisedyann and 28 others like this.
  17. carterkatt

carterkatt Well-Known Member

Here is a sad story about a couple killed in a car crash in the winter in Illinois. The woman left the car and went out into a field with snow on the ground, wearing a red dress. Despite searches for her, she was not found for a month.

Journal Star

18. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

I agree that there are many good theories here for what could have happened to Jason, and although I am mainly in the drug induced psychosis, crash (possible head injury), undressing and hiding camp, I go back and forth since there are very good arguments being made here for other theories. It really is a mystery.

19. sarawithanh

I was thinking more truck, but hey…could have made it to a train. Anyone else in that area that night was more than likely affiliated with oil. There is nothing else in that area except cows. It’s all oil tanks, rigs, and wells. The guy did not just drop his stuff, including his pet fish that he cared enough about to take with him, strip, and wander off barefoot into pitch black rural Texas oil flatlands never to be seen again.

20. Gemmie

Gemmie Clam dip nose

There is more animal life than just cows that aren't really harmful to humans. Bulls on the other hand... I'd stay away from. lol But seriously, there is a lot of wildlife out there. Feral hogs for one. I wouldn't want to have a run in with them either. Especially with my tasty bits on display like his were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.