TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember watching the body cam video of officers searching for Jason that night and they went up to the abandoned house, shined a flashlight in some of the windows and shined a flashlight in the windows of what looked like a shed or workshop. I've never found a definitive answer if the inside of the shed was searched during the daytime. I've also never found a definitive answer if a search of the inside of the house was attempted. I remember the VFF telling Trooper Flores that there was an abandoned house up a ways but he didn't want to look around it. This is purely my own opinion but considering that Jason was probably shaken up from the accident, extremely cold from taking off his clothes, possibly under the influence, and he got out of the car which still could've served as shelter, I would head somewhere that I could seek shelter from the cold, if I was disoriented and found an unlocked door, I probably wouldn't worry about opening it and going inside in hopes of warming up. I remember the dogs picked up his scent between the house and the pond and I know the pond was drained. Would a search warrant be required to search an abandoned house? The chimney theory makes complete sense too because it looks like the house was rather small and maybe not too hard to climb on the roof. Or if he actually got inside the house, could there have been an attic to get in?
I could be wrong but I could have sworn that that "abandoned house" was actually later rented out. Does anyone recall? I did some searching but didn't find anything. If it has since been rented out, and if he had gone inside and died, he'd have been found by now. The place is tiny with nowhere to hide.

I remember watching the body cam video of officers searching for Jason that night and they went up to the abandoned house, shined a flashlight in some of the windows and shined a flashlight in the windows of what looked like a shed or workshop. I've never found a definitive answer if the inside of the shed was searched during the daytime. I've also never found a definitive answer if a search of the inside of the house was attempted. I remember the VFF telling Trooper Flores that there was an abandoned house up a ways but he didn't want to look around it. This is purely my own opinion but considering that Jason was probably shaken up from the accident, extremely cold from taking off his clothes, possibly under the influence, and he got out of the car which still could've served as shelter, I would head somewhere that I could seek shelter from the cold, if I was disoriented and found an unlocked door, I probably wouldn't worry about opening it and going inside in hopes of warming up. I remember the dogs picked up his scent between the house and the pond and I know the pond was drained. Would a search warrant be required to search an abandoned house? The chimney theory makes complete sense too because it looks like the house was rather small and maybe not too hard to climb on the roof. Or if he actually got inside the house, could there have been an attic to get in?
My recollection is that this is a rental house, not an abandoned property. Someone retracing Jason's route early in 2021 stopped there and talked with the new tenant. There is some debate about whether the dogs were tracking Jason's scent or that of LE responders to the pond behind this house, which was drained.

There is a falling down house in rough shape further up that same side of Salt Flat Rd where he could have hidden, I suppose. I do think it was searched, as well.

I still think the best finding tool would be to go on a very dark night and map out any lights he could have seen then search those routes & areas.

It was so very dark and cold that night. If Jason was alone & no one else was involved, we need to be where he was at the time & level of darkness he experienced to understand his potential fear and desperation. If he had a head injury or was otherwise impaired then what would be his first instinct after abandoning his property and clothing?

If he wasn't alone or was not the driver? I hope we find out.

I do think not having LE on scene actively searching immediately upon daylight the next day was a big misstep. A grid search then might have yielded footprints or something. Maybe?

Putting up a billboard to me means they are looking for someone who intervened or hurt Jason. I personally think that is a red herring. I have seen nothing released publicly that supports it.

This is tormentingly sad. I hope the answers & Jason are found.

JMHO

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that that "abandoned house" was actually later rented out. Does anyone recall? I did some searching but didn't find anything. If it has since been rented out, and if he had gone inside and died, he'd have been found by now. The place is tiny with nowhere to hide.
Good info! I didn’t know it had since been possibly rented. Yeah If he went there he would’ve been found.

I noticed that the trooper and the VFF did not enter the house or the shed which I believe was open-faced structure. I attributed their not entering those buildings because they did not have a search warrant. I assume a civilian could, only risking a charge of trespass.
As far as daylight searches I do not know.
Black of night, unfamiliar area, a head bump Our Jason could be anywhere. He will eventually be found. God be with his people.

More billboards going up in the area:

Missing Person - Jason Landry
Well that's for darn sure odd. Jarrell, Kyle, Converse and McAllen? Luling to McAllen is 260 miles and ~4 hrs away. I wonder how the came up with these towns? Maybe it's just wherever they could get billboards, but if that ain't it, I for darn sure don't know why McAllen.

Interesting nothing East on the way to Houston nor anything West.. Just North and South. And they skipped Austin and went past it. Why Jarrell with such a small population? And why McAllen so far south?? Hmmm.....

Jarrell has ~2300 population, Kyle ~54,000, Converse ~ 27,000 and McAllen metro area is over a million.

Talk about things that make ya go hmmmm....

upload_2022-4-13_17-35-54.png

Well that's for darn sure odd. Jarrell, Kyle, Converse and McAllen? Luling to McAllen is 260 miles and ~4 hrs away. I wonder how the came up with these towns? Maybe it's just wherever they could get billboards, but if that ain't it, I for darn sure don't know why McAllen.

Interesting nothing East on the way to Houston nor anything West.. Just North and South. And they skipped Austin and went past it. Why Jarrell with such a small population? And why McAllen so far south?? Hmmm.....

Jarrell has ~2300 population, Kyle ~54,000, Converse ~ 27,000 and McAllen metro area is over a million.

View attachment 339871

Maybe just the places the billboard company offered for free?

My previous post messed up for some reason…

Ok something about the billboard location is intriguing. I’m quoting from Joel eisenbaum, the channel 2 investigative reporter’s story about Jason earlier this year and Peña apparently believed something happened at the luling intersection where Jason missed the turn to I-10:

“Peña, who does not have the same level of access to evidence as Ferry in the case, disputes the contention that it is impossible that Landry came into contact with anyone, and it may have happened at the Luling intersection, where he failed to turn right to proceed to I-10.”

Isn’t the new billboard very close to that intersection?

My previous post messed up for some reason…

Ok something about the billboard location is intriguing. I’m quoting from Joel eisenbaum, the channel 2 investigative reporter’s story about Jason earlier this year and Peña apparently believed something happened at the luling intersection where Jason missed the turn to I-10:

“Peña, who does not have the same level of access to evidence as Ferry in the case, disputes the contention that it is impossible that Landry came into contact with anyone, and it may have happened at the Luling intersection, where he failed to turn right to proceed to I-10.”

Isn’t the new billboard very close to that intersection?
From an old post: The billboard will be installed on Saturday, April 9th along U.S. Highway 183, about 1.5 miles north of the intersection with Highway 86 -- a "strategic location" according to the page.

View attachment 339871
Good question!

I could be wrong but I think money from donations and fundraisers for Jason is how the billboards are being paid for. So I don't think they were offered for free.

<moo> The Luling billboard is located on private land and was paid for through donations. I'm not sure about other billboards though, since it was stated that "MediaChoice, a billboard company, has volunteered space on their boards."

The MediaChoice billboards mentioned, though located in smaller cities, will probably be much more visible, as they are right off a major highway (I35). You can look up MediaChoice billboard locations here:

Billboard Advertising - MediaChoice

<moo>

Last edited:
Has there ever been any talk or consideration that Jason became involved with a religious group and left to be with them? I ask because of the fact the dogs tracked him back a few hundred yards and then totally lost his scent. Was he picked up by another car?
Also, the fact that he left everything behind, which is another characteristic of joinng a group. A person is to leave one life behind and all the trappings that go with that life. The person picking him up could have had the necessary clothing for his new life.
Is this possibility the reason for the peculiar placement of the new billboards, that someone or he himself may see one and come forward?
Nothing seems to far-fetched for me to consider anymore. MOO MOO MOO MOO

Has there ever been any talk or consideration that Jason became involved with a religious group and left to be with them? I ask because of the fact the dogs tracked him back a few hundred yards and then totally lost his scent. Was he picked up by another car?
Also, the fact that he left everything behind, which is another characteristic of joinng a group. A person is to leave one life behind and all the trappings that go with that life. The person picking him up could have had the necessary clothing for his new life.
Is this possibility the reason for the peculiar placement of the new billboards, that someone or he himself may see one and come forward?

I have often thought that he could also be homeless somewhere, in a nearby larger city, such as Austin or San Antonio. There are lots of homeless encampments located directly under I35 overpasses.

Homeless encampment at I-35 underpass downtown cleared, some say they have nowhere to go

Last edited:
Something like this isn’t out of the realm of possibility for me, but it’s not what I think is most likely. I was talking with my husband and daughter (a freshman at TX State) about Jason’s case recently, and something about saying it all out loud made it seem more obviously a drug related incident. The sweating beforehand, the off course accident, the stripping of clothes, the leaving personal items in road—it could all point to what happens often. Someone under the influence of something unknown (more than weed IMO), a car wreck and then disappearing, probably burrowing in somewhere unseen. It was COLD and he was apparently naked. If he stopped moving and went to sleep he could have easily succumbed to hypothermia.

But, I am open to him leaving purposely and alive somewhere. It could also explain some of those things, but I just haven’t seen anything yet that makes it obvious to me that that’s what happened. I just hope he is found soon one way or another so his family doesn’t have to keep wondering. It has to be torture.

Yes. I posted this February 2021. There was some talk on WS about it.

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Since Jason being involved with a religious group was talked about early on, here is a link to that early thread searching for the word 'cult' to make it easier for you. Simply do a find (Ctrl-F) for the word cult on each page. A lot of times I like to put a space before the word I'm searching for " cult" or I'm going to get results like difficult, subculture, etc. However, with that said, it would miss results like "cult" (since there's no space between the first " and the c). I figured that out when a page was supposed to have the word cult on it, and I couldn't find it by putting a space before the c when I searched (Ctrl-F) the page. Removed the space and Voila! It found "cult".

Anyway, happy reading!

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/search/94100122/?q=cult&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=559357

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken