TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a minor point, but he took his fish with him. To me, that shows clear intent to find safety quickly. He wasn't intending at first to flee into the great wild unknown.

Actually I think that's a major point.

He brought it with him when he left his apartment which means he intended to continue caring for it.

And he took it out of the car.

It's as if, right after, he decided something different.

I think it comes down to his state of mind. It's possible he got his bell rung, and concussed, he wasn't thinking straight, but in the fog, continued to interpret events as surreal, spiritual -- as if the wilderness was calling to him.

And so he went.

JMO

Actually it's believed that an oil field worker drove by ~1 hr before the firefighter and said that he did not see a thing. One source of that at the bottom of this post.

Also, this was discussed shortly after it happened (January 2021). Here's a link to the websleuths convo about that: TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Search continues for missing Texas State student

Based on that 2nd source it sounds like there are lots of abandoned, orphan wells in that area. If they are abandoned and in disrepair who is doing the checking of the locations? Is there no environmental protection plan in place for this type of site?

"A lot of old wells, saltwater disposal, old wells that were never even capped or cemented just holes and a lot of creeks, a lot of steep banks," he said. Quote from the link below.

Texas EquuSearch searched for JL for nine days. A valiant effort but even that may not have been enough considering the terrain and structures.

Based on that 2nd source it sounds like there are lots of abandoned, orphan wells in that area. If they are abandoned and in disrepair who is doing the checking of the locations? Is there no environmental protection plan in place for this type of site?

"A lot of old wells, saltwater disposal, old wells that were never even capped or cemented just holes and a lot of creeks, a lot of steep banks," he said. Quote from the link below.

Texas EquuSearch searched for JL for nine days. A valiant effort but even that may not have been enough considering the terrain and structures.

Millions of Leaky and Abandoned Oil and Gas Wells Are Threatening Lives and the Climate

The short answer: nobody is. Abandoned and orphaned oil and gas wells are a major problem. Capping them can be quite expensive; oil companies often go bankrupt; although the companies who drill are legally required to plug/cap them when done, enforcement is highly dependent on states.

I seriously doubt that more than the firefighter drove Salt Flat Road at that hour. He not only reported the abandoned vehicle but waited for the Patrol to arrive. We've seen the 60-minute dash-cam until the tow truck left with the crashed car and there was no traffic. The links are all posted. MOO
I'm quoting post #608. So that gets my attention about the 10 people and their DNA. Why hasn't LE disputed this because I'm thinking they can't and that's why the AG is looking at this case. If they can specifically dispute it then we are at square one with the ex FBI officer's question disputed. MOO.

I'm quoting post #608. So that gets my attention about the 10 people and their DNA. Why hasn't LE disputed this because I'm thinking they can't and that's why the AG is looking at this case. If they can specifically dispute it then we are at square one with the ex FBI officer's question disputed. MOO.
Nobody said anything about DNA from 10 people. That's why nobody can dispute it.

3.2 million abandoned wells? Wow.

My heart goes out to his father/family.

Yes, it's most likely that Jason was involved in a single car accident, while under the influence to some degree, and walked off, eventually succumbing to the elements or another accident.

But as a parent, there's always the what if. What if it was a crime? What if someone followed him, hit him (with a vehicle), abducted him? You'd feel you were letting your child down to close the case. He hasn't been found. Which leaves that little window of hope/doubt. If Jason left in a second car (foul play or intentionally) and miraculously resurfaced, how do you say, "oh, son, forgive me, I gave up looking for you"?

Additionally if Jason fell into a well that wasn't properly marked/capped/secured, there's a potential maybe for a law suit. If Jason would be alive, if not for an unmarked well.

As a parent, I think I'd keep pressing too. Until I had answers enough.

JMO

10 people, and the mention of DNA, are in 2 different areas of the article linked in Post 608, and have nothing to do with each other other than they are related to the Jason Landry case. RBBM

DNA quote - “There is no evidence of a crime,” Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office Captain Jeff Ferry said during a recent interview with KPRC 2 Investigates.

It’s because of that that the sheriff’s office does not plan to process the other DNA evidence obtained from Landry’s car.

10 people quote (further down in the article) - Peña has forwarded a list of 10 people to the Caldwell County District Attorney. These are people he believes may have knowledge or provide clues into what happened to Jason.

Post # 608 (since it wasn't the one actually quoted): TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Texas State Agency Joins Investigation of Missing College Student

I honestly believe what happened to Jason is a terrible & tragic accident without the involvement of others. And I may find that my opinion is wrong…
…but to note from the above link:

Peña, who has not seen all the evidence compiled by the sheriff’s office, believes Landry may have been murdered and that the “wrong turn” is central to the case.

“We strongly believe that something happened at that intersection that caused him to go down that road that night, or perhaps, he was not driving that car that night and someone else may have been driving that car,” Peña said.

Nobody said anything about DNA from 10 people. That's why nobody can dispute it.
Thank you for that. Its 10 people who may have information regarding Jason's case. I guess when I was reading that it was 4AM in the morning. My apologies. Although on Pena's part is it conjecture that someone else was in the car or does he have forensic evidence? Did he swab at Kent's discretion? I wonder how he came up with ten people who may be able to shed some info for that night.

Last edited:
Yes (and thank you very much) this is where the confusion happened. The article states "unprocessed DNA" from Jason's car. The ten people having info of that night could be different from the owners of the unprocessed DNA that was found in his car. For whatever reason I miswrote my post. Again my apologies everyone.

I don't think he disrobed because of hypothermia. Something else was going on, perhaps a head injury, but it's hard to say looking at the extent of damage to the vehicle.

I've been in an accident similar to his, but it wasn't on a gravel road, it was whiteout conditions in the middle of a winter storm. The car spun around, left the road, went into a ditch after hitting a fence and ended up facing the opposite direction. My husband and I just sat there for a while getting our bearings and realizing we were just shaken up, not injured. We couldn't get out of the car until the cops arrived with a tow truck.

I wonder if the same type of thing happened to Jason. Maybe he couldn't get out of the driver's door since it was up against the fence so he crawled over the console and left through the passenger door.

Whatever happened to Jason, he had the wherewithal to collect all his belongings, including his fish, and get it all out onto the road. That's when things get a little muddy.

His clothing was found about 900 feet from the vehicle. I can't see anyone suffering from paradoxical undressing during the short period it would have taken him to walk that distance. It wasn't cold enough for that to happen. Even if he'd been stunned for a while, sitting in a cooling vehicle before he got out, he still wouldn't have been vulnerable to hypothermia, IMO.

I don't see any evidence that someone was with him in the vehicle. I suppose there is a long shot that someone came along before the VFF and took JL but why and why leave all his belongings including his wallet with money and ID just sitting there in the middle of the road?
Same here.
Accident, black ice, spun vehicle, ended up rolling over twice and ended down in ravine, drivers side door slammed against tree and facing opposite direction.
I had to crawl out the passenger side door, through the glass

Crime Online:

Texas State Agency Joins Investigation of Missing College Student

The Texas Attorney General’s Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit will take another look at the case of a college student who disappeared while on his way home for winter break in 2020.
It's Crimeonline so taking with a grain of salt. We also know JL didn't take a wrong turn when he missed the I-10. Instead, JL proceeded straight through the intersection that put him on Salt Flat Road.

I recall speculating early about the wild hogs but this is the first time I've seen CCSO quoted re. wild hogs devouring JL's body. MOO

From the link:

The Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office has ended its investigation. Captain Jeff Ferry told KPRC there was “no evidence of a crime.” Ferry said he thinks that Landry was under the influence, took a wrong turn, and crashed. After that, Ferry said, he believes the young man stripped off his clothes and started walking in near-freezing temperatures. He died and was devoured by wild hogs.

“I don’t think the hogs are what killed him, but hogs are opportunistic,” Ferry said. “If a hog encounters a meal, especially in December, I don’t think he’s going to pass that up.”

Thank you for that. Its 10 people who may have information regarding Jason's case. I guess when I was reading that it was 4AM in the morning. My apologies. Although on Pena's part is it conjecture that someone else was in the car or does he have forensic evidence? Did he swab at Kent's discretion? I wonder how he came up with ten people who may be able to shed some info for that night.

I don't believe he has any evidence, only playing out possible scenarios. Maybe the 10 people are those in JL's inner circle; the guys he was FTing with and the guys he was going to visit to play video games.

I suppose it's possible he met someone within the time period he was talking to his friend on FT and getting in his vehicle but if that was the case it would likely be someone from the university who asked to hitch a ride rather than some random person who was hitchhiking at the intersection in Luling. There appeared to be no traffic on Salt Flat Rd during the time the VFF discovered the vehicle and the arrival of LE. I doubt there would be much more vehicular traffic going through that intersection at that time of night. Anything is possible. But you can't waste resources on speculations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members