TX TX - Jason Landry Missing After Car Found Crashed Near Luling, Dec 2020 #7

"On Saturday, a new sign was hung from the Wake the Dead Coffee House in San Marcos."

[...]

"Shellman said they’ll have a search in Luling the weekend of September 24. If you have any information, call the Texas Attorney General at 512-936-0742."

I only recently became aware of this case...has anyone seen, or had access to photos (if any exist) ov the trademarks on the road? I've been researching this case an after closer examinations of photos of Mr. Landry's vehicles, I am not convinced he was not run off the road. I have two possible working theories to explain the location of personal items and his clothing in proximity of his vehicle, but each would be based on the treadmarks/tracks left in the road by both the vehicle, and potentially people or wildlife in the roadway since there is a high-level of dust present.

I only recently became aware of this case...has anyone seen, or had access to photos (if any exist) ov the trademarks on the road? I've been researching this case an after closer examinations of photos of Mr. Landry's vehicles, I am not convinced he was not run off the road. I have two possible working theories to explain the location of personal items and his clothing in proximity of his vehicle, but each would be based on the treadmarks/tracks left in the road by both the vehicle, and potentially people or wildlife in the roadway since there is a high-level of dust present.
Photos and videos are fairly easy to find early in the threads. There are photos and analysis of the tire tracks. There are also videos showing the road during daylight from town to the four-way stop to the house where the pond was searched and then the crash site.

Good luck! I hope you can find something to help with the now quiet investigation.

There were extensive photos of the car posted and some of the scene. There is no damage on the car consistent with another vehicle impacting it IMO.

There were extensive photos of the car posted and some of the scene. There is no damage on the car consistent with another vehicle impacting it IMO.
That was also LE's (Ferry) opinion of the shape the car was in. No other car involved. A couple of MSM examples:

We believe Jason was driving in a single vehicle collision, and on all accounts, it looks like he voluntarily left the vehicle and took off his clothes, whether that was because of narcotics or a mental break, we don’t know,” said Ferry.

Dec. 14, 12:31 a.m. - Landry’s wrecked vehicle was found abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road. The lights were on, the keys were in the ignition and the front passenger side door locked. It was a single-vehicle collision, most likely from over-correcting on the gravel road, spinning off the roadway and crashing the rear-end into a tree, the sheriff's office said.

That was also LE's (Ferry) opinion of the shape the car was in. No other car involved. A couple of MSM examples:

We believe Jason was driving in a single vehicle collision, and on all accounts, it looks like he voluntarily left the vehicle and took off his clothes, whether that was because of narcotics or a mental break, we don’t know,” said Ferry.

Dec. 14, 12:31 a.m. - Landry’s wrecked vehicle was found abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road. The lights were on, the keys were in the ignition and the front passenger side door locked. It was a single-vehicle collision, most likely from over-correcting on the gravel road, spinning off the roadway and crashing the rear-end into a tree, the sheriff's office said.

I tend to agree that another vehicle was not involved.

However, Ferry has been criticized for reaching a conclusion and only looking at evidence that supports that conclusion.

IMO fresh eyes & a new look by even amateur sleuthers might offer something of value.

The most critical part of the incident from my perspective is the utter black darkness that night, which would have played a major role in any sequence of events.

I will never be satisfied until a search out there in comparable darkness trying to think like a young man who is impaired (marijuana, head injury or ???) is conducted. JL was traveling naked & barefoot after he left his car. If not abducted.... he's still out there.

To believe in abduction, a lot more than speculation is required. Where is the evidence?

JMHO

Ferry has been criticized for reaching a conclusion and only looking at evidence that supports that conclusion.

IMO fresh eyes & a new look by even amateur sleuthers might offer something of value.
SBMFF

I TOTALLY agree 1000%!!!!

Since there are (semi at this point) fresh eyes on the case (Pena and the other ex FBI gal. At least I think she was ex-FBI), I'd LOVE to hear what they have to say. It just feels like this case is being swept under the rug and they've moved on to other more current things. All MOO.

Edit: Sorry, just saw this was already posted on the first page.

Jason's case will be featured on the show Disappeared airing on Investigation Discovery tonight. (10 pm Est I believe)

Been following this case for a while. Here’s some quick notes.

Yellow legal pad

At 5:20 into the sixth video on this Fox7 Austin news article, the Caldwell County Sheriff officer’s body cam shows the officer stop to inspect a yellow legal pad laying in the road. The officer must not have thought it important because he kicks it with his foot as if to see what’s under it, then drives off. I believe this is the location: 29.74407171653296, -97.61232504639271.

It could be nothing, but it could also be something. If it was Jason’s, it could be change his assumed last known location (which I believe is his clothes), affecting search probabilities. It could also be an attempt by Jason to lay down some sort of breadcrumb trail for himself or for people looking for him. If it was someone else’s notepad, it could have fallen out of their vehicle unnoticed when they were in a hurry to help / hurt Jason.

Order of Jason’s items found

This is the order of Jason’s items found in the road based on the body and dash cam footage released. Assuming that the order of the items shown in the video is the order in which Jason discarded them, I believe this to be consistent with paradoxical undressing related to hypothermia.
  1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear
  6. notepad ? (not sure if this was Jason’s)

Thoughts on hypothermia theory

I believe this to be the most likely cause of Jason’s disappearance. Here’s why:
  • Temperature was around 40F and reportedly damp and windy that night.
  • Head trauma and internal bleeding from a car wreck can also cause hypothermia.
  • Consumption of alcohol increases susceptibility to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing (1).
  • Some hallucinogenic and anti-psychotic drugs can increase susceptibility hypothermia (2).
  • More than a few people have died from exposure after a wreck and apparent brain trauma.
(1) The volunteer firefighter that first arrived at the scene of the wreck told dispatch that one of Jason’s cups smelled like alcohol and that his car smelled like cannabis smoke.

(2) There’s no evidence or confirmation that I’ve scene that Jason was taking anti-psychotic drugs; however, Jason’s friend’s comments about the video call they had before his disappearance suggest that Jason was high on some sort of substance and that he was definitely interested in hallucinogens. Some people who experiment with hallucinogens take anti-psychotic drugs as "trip killers" to stop bad trips. If Jason was tripping on the phone with his friend and took a "trip killer" before making his drive, or was just taking anti-psychotics by themselves, that could make him more susceptible to hypothermia. Taking a hallucinogen before driving would also make him more susceptible to crashing his car.

Thoughts on why he hasn’t been found

The body and dash cam footage released shows that the officers that arrived on scene looked up and down salt flat road for Jason several times and made efforts to contact family and school regarding his whereabouts; however it was extremely dark and rural and the road is flanked by tall grass that is waste high in places. It would have been very easy for him to pass out in the grass beside the road or in field and not be seen by anyone. His Dad went to search for him in the morning, but as far as I know, there were no large-scale searches performed until weeks or months later -- this is enough time make evidence / remains in that part of TX very, very difficult to find. A searcher also explained that the fumes and gasses from the oil wells in the area interfered with their search dogs’ abilities to find a scent.

Resources

Attachments

• 2022-09-28_20-19.png
    2022-09-28_20-19.png
    381.1 KB · Views: 16
Just watched the episode on Disappeared. The Attorney General is now going to investigate this case and that is a good thing. I agree with the father Of Jason, the police did a terrible investigate job- they actually left his clothes on the side of the road instead of taking it as evidence. What professional police force does that? They assumed it was a one car accident, that he was high and stripped his clothes off-- after that, they are clueless. I like that a P.I. got involved-- I think the police jumped to a conclusion that may not be the case. I hope the Attorney General can make some headway into this case. My personal feeling is that something bad happened to Jason. Just a feeling.

I just want to address one part of your message.

In reality, there were searches that happened as it was stated that Texas Equusearch and Texsar both searched for Jason Landry. Texsar was brought in on December 14th. They state that here: Missing Person - Jason Landry - Texas Search and Rescue.

Personally, I believe he is not in the area.

Yellow legal pad

At 5:20 into the sixth video on this Fox7 Austin news article, the Caldwell County Sheriff officer’s body cam shows the officer stop to inspect a yellow legal pad laying in the road. The officer must not have thought it important because he kicks it with his foot as if to see what’s under it, then drives off. I believe this is the location: 29.74407171653296, -97.61232504639271.

It could be nothing, but it could also be something. If it was Jason’s, it could be change his assumed last known location (which I believe is his clothes), affecting search probabilities. It could also be an attempt by Jason to lay down some sort of breadcrumb trail for himself or for people looking for him. If it was someone else’s notepad, it could have fallen out of their vehicle unnoticed when they were in a hurry to help / hurt Jason.

This is the order of Jason’s items found in the road based on the body and dash cam footage released. Assuming that the order of the items shown in the video is the order in which Jason discarded them, I believe this to be consistent with paradoxical undressing related to hypothermia.
  1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear

I believe this to be the most likely cause of Jason’s disappearance. Here’s why:
  • Head trauma and internal bleeding from a car wreck can also cause hypothermia.
  • Consumption of alcohol increases susceptibility to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing (1).
  • Some hallucinogenic and anti-psychotic drugs can increase susceptibility hypothermia (2).
  • More than a few people have died from exposure after a wreck and apparent brain trauma.
(1) The volunteer firefighter that first arrived at the scene of the wreck told dispatch that one of Jason’s cups smelled like alcohol and that his car smelled like cannabis smoke.

(2) There’s no evidence or confirmation that I’ve scene that Jason was taking anti-psychotic drugs; however, Jason’s friend’s comments about the video call they had before his disappearance suggest that Jason was high on some sort of substance and that he was definitely interested in hallucinogens. Some people who experiment with hallucinogens take anti-psychotic drugs as "trip killers" to stop bad trips. If Jason was tripping on the phone with his friend and took a "trip killer" before making his drive, or was just taking anti-psychotics by themselves, that could make him more susceptible to hypothermia. Taking a hallucinogen before driving would also make him more susceptible to crashing his car.

The body and dash cam footage released shows that the officers that arrived on scene looked up and down salt flat road for Jason several times and made efforts to contact family and school regarding his whereabouts; however it was extremely dark and rural and the road is flanked by tall grass that is waste high in places. It would have been very easy for him to pass out in the grass beside the road or in field and not be seen by anyone. His Dad went to search for him in the morning, but as far as I know, there were no large-scale searches performed until weeks or months later -- this is enough time make evidence / remains in that part of TX very, very difficult to find. A searcher also explained that the fumes and gasses from the oil wells in the area interfered with their search dogs’ abilities to find a scent.

Resources

1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear
I recall they also recovered Jason's wristwatch that was carefully wrapped in either in a sock or his shirt -- I forget but I know that his watch was located with care.

Yellow legal pad

1. backpack
  2. shirt
  3. flip flops
  4. shorts
  5. underwear

Resources

Interesting about the Yellow Legal Pad. I wonder if his family can say it his or friends say it was used for school. On the map shown of the location of the Yellow Legal Pad to me it looks he could have diverted from the path of the road he was on because IMO there look like other paths that intersect. If they intersect then maybe he did avoid the barbed wire fenceing or maybe went through the cemetary at some opening. Apparently there is a cemetary closeby somewhere. That's what a Sleuther had posted in one of the earlier threads.

What did you see that confused you?
Did anyone else notice during that little video of the snapchat where he says "I got accepted" the writing on the screen says "Jason got into Sam Houston"...that's not Texas State. Unless that's a nickname they use for it. Which I've never heard before and I've lived in SE Texas my whole life. The only Sam Houston I know of is near me in Huntsville, Tx. Sam Houston State University.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back