TX - Javier Ambler, 40, allegedly killed in police custody on LIVE PD, Austin, 28 Mar 2019 *SHERIFF+ charged*

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Javier Ambler was driving home from playing poker on March 28, 2019, when he failed to dim the headlights of his SUV to oncoming traffic. A Williamson County sheriff’s deputy initiated a stop and began chasing him for the minor traffic violation.

Ambler, a 40-year-old father of two, was dying on a neighborhood streetafter deputies held him down and used Tasers on him four times while a crew from A&E’s reality show “Live PD” filmed.

Records obtained by the KVUE Defenders and the Austin American-Statesman reveal that deputies used Taser stun guns on him at least three times, even as he told them multiple times that he had a heart condition and could not breathe.

The circumstances of Ambler’s March 28, 2019, death have never been revealed. The Williamson County Sheriff’s Office tried to shield information from release since receiving its first request in February.

14cbf1a9-b8dc-4717-a827-ae577f0e4a92_1140x641.jpg

‘I can’t breathe!’ | Video released from 2019 death of Austin-area black man in deputies’ custody

Texas police chase ends in death. "I can't breathe," the man cries.

Last edited:
Details of two more deaths in police custody emerge in wake of Floyd killing

The officer chasing JA was a black officer who features on Live PD quite regularly apparently.

From the link.

"Ambler refused to stop, according to the police report, resulting in a chase before he crashed his vehicle near downtown Austin. The details were first published by the Austin American-Statesman newspaper and KVUE-TV.

Ambler got out of the car and showed his hands, according to the report, but then moved towards the car and was tasered by JJ Johnson, a black Williamson county deputy who was being filmed at the time by a camera crew from Live PD, a real-time police TV show, although the footage was not aired."

A&E said in a previous statement that its video never aired because of a policy against showing a death, and it did not keep the footage after it was informed the initial investigation had closed. A&E said neither the network nor the show's producers "were asked for the footage or an interview by investigators from law enforcement or the District Attorney's office."

‘Live PD’ dropped by A&E on heels of ‘Cops’ cancellation

WilCo Sheriff addresses Javier Ambler case, calls for Texas Rangers to investigate

The Travis County District Attorney's Office, headed by D.A. Margaret Moore, has been overseeing the Ambler's case because Ambler died in Austin Police jurisdiction. Moore has come out saying Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody's office stonewalled the investigation.

Moore released a statement saying she's committed to seeking justice for Ambler's family.

"The Javier Ambler case will be presented to a Travis County grand jury as soon as one can be impaneled due to COVID-19. I think the common misconception is that these cases are easy to resolve and should be immediately presented to a grand jury. While I agree that the public is entitled to swift action and transparency to ensure justice for all sides, we have to make sure there is a thorough investigation into the facts of each case we receive. Sometimes this involves subpoenaing lab reports, phone records, ballistic reports, medical records, and other documents that are crucial to the case. It takes time to get these items from outside sources. To ensure the process is fair, we have to be able to anticipate the kinds of information the grand juries will want to know before we take a case before them. This is the same process that takes place in all felony cases."

A&E said in a previous statement that its video never aired because of a policy against showing a death, and it did not keep the footage after it was informed the initial investigation had closed. A&E said neither the network nor the show's producers "were asked for the footage or an interview by investigators from law enforcement or the District Attorney's office."

‘Live PD’ dropped by A&E on heels of ‘Cops’ cancellation

A&E confirmed that “video of the tragic death of Javier Ambler was captured by body cams worn on the officers involved as well by the producers of Live PD who were riding with certain officers involved.”

It said that the incident did not occur while the show was airing live and that the video was not broadcast later.

A&E’s statement said that Austin investigators had not asked for the video or to interview show producers. “As is the case with all footage taken by Live PD producers, we no longer retained the unaired footage after learning that the investigation had concluded,” the network said in a statement.

The contract between Williamson County and Live PD producers in place at the time of Ambler’s death allowed the show to destroy unaired footage within 30 days unless a court order or other state or federal law required it to be retained.

‘Live PD’ destroyed video of police killing Javier Ambler II in 2019

The Statesman and KVUE obtained video of Ambler’s final moments recorded by an Austin police officer’s bodycam. Dashcam video from Williamson County deputies who chased Ambler’s car for 20 minutes has not been released.

Three of four Williamson County commissioners Tuesday called for Sheriff Robert Chody to resign after learning of Ambler’s death and charges that Chody’s department had failed to provide evidence to Travis County investigators.

Last edited:
Travis County grand jury to look at Michael Ramos, Javier Ambler cases in August

A Travis County grand jury will soon look at the cases of Javier Ambler and Michael Ramos on Aug. 11

On April 24, an Austin officer reportedly shot Ramos with a beanbag shotgun during a confrontation with police at an apartment complex before he tried to drive away. As Ramos was driving away, another officer fired his rifle at him. Ramos died later that night at a hospital. Ramos was unarmed during the incident.

Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore sent KVUE the following statement:

"I am wholly committed to seeking justice in the shooting of Michael Ramos. I have visited with his mother to explain to her and her attorneys how our process will take place and answered her questions. When I spoke to Mrs. Ramos, she was emphatic in her request that I seek justice for her son, and I assured her we would do so.

As District Attorney, my priority is—and must be—preserving the integrity of the criminal case. Austin City Council Member Greg Casar is more focused on the disciplinary action available to the Chief of Police. Both pursuits are important and both will be conducted with a view toward achieving justice in both arenas.

It has now been set that a special grand jury will be impaneled on August 11th. The case involving the death of Michael Ramos will be presented to that grand jury before the end of August. This time frame should not cause delay in the administrative process."

Travis County grand jury to look at Michael Ramos, Javier Ambler cases in August

A Travis County grand jury will soon look at the cases of Javier Ambler and Michael Ramos on Aug. 11

On April 24, an Austin officer reportedly shot Ramos with a beanbag shotgun during a confrontation with police at an apartment complex before he tried to drive away. As Ramos was driving away, another officer fired his rifle at him. Ramos died later that night at a hospital. Ramos was unarmed during the incident.

Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore sent KVUE the following statement:

"I am wholly committed to seeking justice in the shooting of Michael Ramos. I have visited with his mother to explain to her and her attorneys how our process will take place and answered her questions. When I spoke to Mrs. Ramos, she was emphatic in her request that I seek justice for her son, and I assured her we would do so.

As District Attorney, my priority is—and must be—preserving the integrity of the criminal case. Austin City Council Member Greg Casar is more focused on the disciplinary action available to the Chief of Police. Both pursuits are important and both will be conducted with a view toward achieving justice in both arenas.

It has now been set that a special grand jury will be impaneled on August 11th. The case involving the death of Michael Ramos will be presented to that grand jury before the end of August. This time frame should not cause delay in the administrative process."

Was the second shot a bean bag also? So there was a confrontation with police and he tries to flee in a vehicle/potentially lethal weapon? Two shots were fired, at least the first of which was a bean bag?

Sheriff indicted over destruction of video footage in Black man's fatal arrest

A grand jury on Monday indicted a Texas sheriff over the destruction of video footage amid investigations into the death of a Black man in police custody last year. Javier Ambler's fatal March 2019 arrest was captured by film crews for the now-canceled A&E TV show "Live PD."

Williamson County records show Chody is facing a charge of evidence tampering, a third-degree felony that is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. He was booked into Williamson County Jail on Monday and his bond was set at $10,000.

The indictment (link below) alleges Sheriff Robert Chody destroyed "video recordings and audio recordings with intent to impair their ability as evidence in the investigation" into Ambler's death.

Travis County prosecutors are separately investigating the use of force in Ambler's death. Prosecutors could not immediately be reached for comment.

EjBZktEXsAA2gNw

WilCo Sheriff Chody accused of destroying video connected to Javier Ambler's death

Another indictment in this case:

Jason Nassour, general counsel for the county, has also been indicted on the same charges related to the Ambler case. According to jail records, he was booked into the Travis County Jail and since bonded out.

Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore said initial findings in the investigations show that Ambler notified officers he had a congenital heart defect before he was tased four times. In body camera footage from Austin Police Department — who also responded to the scene — Ambler can be heard saying, “I have congestive heart failure,” and “I can’t breathe.”

Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody indicted, arrested on felony tampering with evidence charge in Javier Ambler death case | KXAN Austin

Travis County DA Moore and Williamson County DA Shawn Dick held a press conference to discuss Chody’s indictment.

Dick explained that after working with Travis County and APD’s Special Investigations, information was brought before a Williamson County grand jury, who moved to indict.

November 30 will be the first official court date for Chody and Nassour, Dick explained.

A Travis County grand jury will be empaneled in late October and begin hearing evidence after January 1, 2021, Moore elaborated.

Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody indicted, arrested on felony tampering with evidence charge in Javier Ambler death case

In a statement, State Rep. James Talarico, who represents part of Williamson County, said:

“Since I learned about the senseless murder of Javier Ambler in June, I have consistently called for Sheriff Chody’s resignation. This is the same Sheriff who cut the county’s award-winning Crisis Intervention Team, promoted white supremacists in his department, and gave gift cards to his deputies for using force.”

“In response to the heinous actions of Sheriff Chody, my office has been working closely with the Ambler family to write legislation that will ban Texas police departments from working with reality TV shows like ‘Live PD,’” Talarico continued. “Our office is also supporting the Legislative Black Caucus as they finalize the George Floyd Act, a package of much-needed police reforms.”

Dick said on Monday that punishment for these crimes could range from two to 10 years.

Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody indicted, arrested on felony tampering with evidence charge in Javier Ambler death case

The mugshot of Sheriff Chody on first glance does not resemble any other his department usually sends out.

He is pictured in a suit in front of a Williamson County Sheriff’s Office sign. Other arrestees photographed are in orange jail-issued clothing in front of a plain blue wall.

KXAN has reached out to ask why his mugshot is different and filed a public information request to inquire about the department’s booking photo policy. We will update this story when we hear back.

Williamson County deputies involved in Javier Ambler case sue over Ambler’s autopsy | KXAN Austin

Two Williamson County deputies involved in the Javier Ambler case are suing the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office over Ambler’s autopsy records.

Deputies Zach Camden and Jason Johnson want access to Ambler’s autopsy records in hopes of shedding light on what happened.

The suit says they pursued Ambler that night. An Austin Police Department report said Ambler crashed several times before he was tased and taken into custody. Body camera footage from an Austin Police Department officer who also responded captures Ambler saying, “I have congestive heart failure” and “I can’t breathe.”

The lawsuit says the deputies were misrepresented in the media based off reports of the body cam video.

They allege the news stories “have stated and implied that [the deputies] did something wrong during their encounter with Mr. Ambler, despite that fact that [the deputies] were found to have violated no policies of the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office.”

In August, the lawsuit says the deputies requested Ambler’s autopsy report, but it was denied on the grounds that its release would interfere with the investigation.

Camden and Johnson are requesting the autopsy, along with toxicology reports, be released.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back