GUILTY TX - Joshua Broussard, 17, dead, 4 injured in Spring HS stabbing, 4 Sept 2013

I do too, but I also think he is lying and denying that his brother was also in a gang. :twocents:

I'd love to know the truth. I am sure LE has investigated both sides.
All I know if I went to that school. I'd quit. Not worth it. GED, online classes, community college is much better than being caught up in gang warfare.

I can definitely believe an attack could occur just from bumping into the girlfriend of a gang leader or even from something on social media. And, it would be very possible to be in a large school and have childhood friends who joined a gang without actually joining yourself. Just being the friend of a friend, or something said on social media might be enough to provoke an attack. Imo, that tells that the school is even worse and more out of control than if full fledged so called tough gang rivals only attacked each other. They are all being used and controlled by older gang members who get them into it. Something needs to be done.

We don't live too far from Spring, the town itself. It seemed like a nice area. We are still surprised and saddened by this incident.This really hits home for me, as I have a high school child in another district. My high schooler said that none of the teachers or staff even discussed the stabbings with them. The students just talked about it among themselves. My child goes to school in a wonderful area, considered to be excellent, but things still happen anyway. Nothing like this, yet. But I guess Spring used to also be considered an excellent area. What can be done to keep our kids safe ?

We don't live too far from Spring, the town itself. It seemed like a nice area. We are still surprised and saddened by this incident.This really hits home for me, as I have a high school child in another district. My high schooler said that none of the teachers or staff even discussed the stabbings with them. The students just talked about it among themselves. My child goes to school in a wonderful area, considered to be excellent, but things still happen anyway. Nothing like this, yet. But I guess Spring used to also be considered an excellent area. What can be done to keep our kids safe ?

I have a few theories and ideas, but doubt they'd be popular or PC.
Absolute zero tolerance for gang associations or affiliations, including the parents. The gang members or their children would be sent to a juvie facilitation with armed guards.
No tolerance for bullying, harassment or allow teens with juvie records back into the standard public school system-ever again.
That would eliminate quite a few problems right off the bat. No sex offenders or delinquents would be allowed back with non-criminal teens.
I also think having 3,500 + students and one police officer isn't cutting it either. Having smaller charter, magnet and private school options would be better than going to a large institution where you are a number and the teachers don't have time to get to know their students. Classes would have around 5-20 max students per teacher.

The school my child attends has approx 3000students. However,it is almost all academic, many students vying for the top 10 percent of the class when they graduate. Almost everyone takes the ACT and the SAT. Parents here are fierce. Academics and sports and activities are pushed. You cannot find a parking spot at even the high school on back to school night. So I do not think the size is the main problem. Sure, some kids get into trouble, but they get sent to an alternative school and the good kids shine. It is almost all parent driven. No one would want to live here with kids if the schools were not top notch. My child is in AP classes and so are all her friends. Band, baseball, choir, track etc. Most of the kids are into their activities and want to go to college. That is why we moved here.It is all about what happens at home and the expectations from the family.

The school my child attends has approx 3000students. However,it is almost all academic, many students vying for the top 10 percent of the class when they graduate. Almost everyone takes the ACT and the SAT. Parents here are fierce. Academics and sports and activities are pushed. You cannot find a parking spot at even the high school on back to school night. So I do not think the size is the main problem. Sure, some kids get into trouble, but they get sent to an alternative school and the good kids shine. It is almost all parent driven. No one would want to live here with kids if the schools were not top notch. My child is in AP classes and so are all her friends. Band, baseball, choir, track etc. Most of the kids are into their activities and want to go to college. That is why we moved here.It is all about what happens at home and the expectations from the family.

A lot of the problems could be resolved in schools if parents were more involved both with their children and with their school activities. You can't build a child's character by making excuses for them when they are wrong. And they don't have to be the best, the brightest, etc. They just need to know their parent thinks enough of them to be involved in their activities. To know who their friends are. To not give in to them when you know the activity they are involved in could get them into trouble. jmo

well, i called last week to report the disturbing twitter activity and no one has followed up.....i'm glad my kid is not here at thist school

Houston: Shots Fired at Memorial for Joshua Broussard, Victim of Spring High School Stabbings
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/281...ssard-victim-of-spring-high-school-stabbings/

Even violence follows Joshua Broussard's death. :stormingmad:

OMG! I really hope the school is prepared for today.... From the same article:

Donna Ullrich, Spring High School’s principal, said in a message to parents that only clear backpacks, clear Ziploc-like bags, and small purses will be allowed in the school. Also, portable metal detectors will be at the two entrances, and there will be increased security at the school.

If they want to bring something into that school, I think they will anyway. :twocents:

The threats of further violence since the stabbing last week are real. After reading this, I hope they are being taken seriously.

Hoping for a calm day back at this school!

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypr...cle_1ef023f2-090b-11e3-8db4-001a4bcf887a.html
This meeting was held back in august and proves that Spring ISD is well aware they have gang problems.As a parent of a Spring ISD student I did not hear anything about that meeting....The Spring High school principal said "today we will do school" why didn't she say "today we will address that we have a serious problem"? They should go through all those twitters and facebooks with a fine tooth comb and address anyone that seems to be affiliated with a gang ,be it the "brown pride" or "jackboyz" or whatever,they need to have some serious interventions.

well, i called last week to report the disturbing twitter activity and no one has followed up.....i'm glad my kid is not here at thist school

You called the police or the school district? or both? I really hope they took it seriously. Save a copy of the tweets, call a local paper next? The media can put pressure on the school district to take it seriously.
This high school sounds like a prison not a school. Wonder how many parents removed their kids last week?

I don't think the school is capable of handling mass problems if there are real gangs. They are in a whole different mindset, so they may just try to weed out the worst through the juvenile system and finding legal ways to force them out and into a judge ordered ged program. Hopefully most are mentally stable enough to not want to risk adult prison.

I don't think the school is capable of handling mass problems if there are real gangs. They are in a whole different mindset, so they may just try to weed out the worst through the juvenile system and finding legal ways to force them out and into a judge ordered ged program. Hopefully most are mentally stable enough to not want to risk adult prison.

Time to employ armed guards then and bring in police to weed them out until the problem is solved. I'd be afraid to teach at a school of over 3,000 unruly students.
This is ridiculous amount of students unsupervised.
Is this the future of education?

You called the police or the school district? or both? I really hope they took it seriously. Save a copy of the tweets, call a local paper next? The media can put pressure on the school district to take it seriously.
This high school sounds like a prison not a school. Wonder how many parents removed their kids last week?

the school districts have their own police departments here....that's who i called. Left a message and requested a return call to follow up......guess we'll see.

Time to employ armed guards then and bring in police to weed them out until the problem is solved. I'd be afraid to teach at a school of over 3,000 unruly students.
This is ridiculous amount of students unsupervised.
Is this the future of education?
I don't think all the students are unruly. It is probably just a handful.With what has been happening lately, it makes it lol that way. I am sure that most of the students are good kids, trying to get an education. I feel bad for them.

they just called me back.....i reported the twitter accounts in question and when i told them to search #jackboyz he knew exactly what i was talking about.....seems they are aware of this stuff......so sad

This morning I've seen tweets about being afraid to go to school, but parents forced them to go. I also saw some talking about how the school was difficult to enter this morning. Describing it as going through airport security.

It is sad that one has to be afraid to go to school. I'm glad to see that they are going through security. It doesn't solve the problem, but it is good to see they took threats seriously. I just hope it continues.

Spring ISD: School off to a ‘great start’ as students pass through metal detectors

by KHOU.com staff
khou.com
Posted on September 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Updated today at 11:47 AM

SPRING, Texas—Security was extra tight at Spring High School Monday morning as the campus attempted to return to normal following last week’s deadly stabbing. Seventeen-year-old Joshua Broussard was stabbed to death by another student, Luis Alonzo Alfaro, who was also 17.

The murder left students and parents shaken, and the district looking for tighter security measures.

It was TSA-style security at the school. Portable metal detectors were brought in, access to the school was limited to only two heavily-monitored entrances, and clear backpacks became mandatory.

Officials used hand-held wand detectors to make sure the students brought no weapons onto the campus.

Students who did not have clear backpacks were allowed to bring their belongings in large Ziploc-type bags or clear purses, no larger than a loaf of bread. After parents complained that they had a tough time finding the clear backpacks, Spring ISD located a supply and have ordered enough to hand out to students. The students will not be charged.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Spri...-pass-through-metal-detectors--222970021.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr
Back